Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Games at Withdean on a Sunday?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Am I right in thinking that back in the annals of time, around 1998, when the Withdean agreement was originally thrashed out, it was stipulated that we couldn't play first team matches at Withdean on a Sunday in order to try and placate the residents?
I seem to remember something along those lines before the Div One fixtures came out, when it was said we couldn't finish on a home game because they were all on a Sunday.
Will this mean that if Sky do show one first leg game on Saturday at 6.00 and one on Sunday at 4.00. we get Sat by default if its our home game?
Or am I just going senile?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
How come tens of thousands of screaming teenage brats can have their Party in the Park every summer on a Sunday, (no parking restrictions I hasten to add), yet a game of football watched by a tad under 7,000 causes so much hostility?

Roll on Withdean, please!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I mentioned this on another thread and am pretty certain we cannot play on Sundays at Withdean - best avoid the Premiersh1te for a while then :lolol: :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Wozza said:
We played Sheffield United on a Sunday last season, didn't we? ???

No it was a Saturday and that bastard Prosser :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Ah, yes, remember it will. Although I was in Amsterdam 'bars' at the time, getting texts every couple of mins.

I'm sure we played someone on a Sunday, non?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No - only Grimsby away last day of the season

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Wozza said:
We played Sheffield United on a Sunday last season, didn't we? ???

Sheffield Utd was originally scheduled for Sunday and was switched to Saturday, possibly for the reasons Harty mentions.
I remember because I said I could work that Saturday amd missed
the Prosser show.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
Beach Hut said:
I mentioned this on another thread and am pretty certain we cannot play on Sundays at Withdean - best avoid the Premiersh1te for a while then :lolol: :lolol:

We don't have ANY Sunday games so you will probably be OK

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
CAFC Matt said:
We don't have ANY Sunday games so you will probably be OK

Why not ?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
The Sunday game is a first leg. And we will only be at home in the first leg if

a: There is a winner in Swindon v Hartlepool

AND

b: We lose at Wrexham.

I'm convinced we'll finish fourth.

smudge said:
How come tens of thousands of screaming teenage brats can have their Party in the Park every summer on a Sunday, (no parking restrictions I hasten to add), yet a game of football watched by a tad under 7,000 causes so much hostility?

Roll on Withdean, please!
Nice point Smudger,and while we are on the subject how come Bible bashing kiddie fiddlers can ring their fvcking bells on a sunday morninig whilst I'm laying in bed pissed ?,and another thing they park where the fcuk they like aswell:angry:

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
s.stubbs said:
Nice point Smudger,and while we are on the subject how come Bible bashing kiddie fiddlers can ring their fvcking bells on a sunday morninig whilst I'm laying in bed pissed ?,and another thing they park where the fcuk they like aswell:angry:
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

cheshunt seagull said:
Sheffield Utd was originally scheduled for Sunday and was switched to Saturday, possibly for the reasons Harty mentions.
I remember because I said I could work that Saturday amd missed
the Prosser show.

Wasn't it something to do with an England international being played on the Saturday, so the game was moved to Sunday, then for some reason, moved back to Saturday? I don't think it was moved due to restrictions on playing Sundays at Withdean?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
So clearly if we are at home first then due to the Sunday 'ban' Sky will have to show us at 6.00 on the Saturday, better still give us a miss, saving us for the 2nd leg and the final, we can kick off at 3.00 Sat like the good old days.
UNLESS.......working on the old he who plays the piper calls the tune addage, what chance, with the 2nd legs being Thursday, is there that with no Sunday match possible, Sky throw a Monday night game at Withdean into the mix?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Harty said:
So clearly if we are at home first then due to the Sunday 'ban' Sky will have to show us at 6.00 on the Saturday, better still give us a miss, saving us for the 2nd leg and the final, we can kick off at 3.00 Sat like the good old days.
UNLESS.......working on the old he who plays the piper calls the tune addage, what chance, with the 2nd legs being Thursday, is there that with no Sunday match possible, Sky throw a Monday night game at Withdean into the mix?

Now I'm more confused than ever? :dunce:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Yorkie, the point I'm trying to make is that as far as the play-offs are concerned Sky appear to call the shots, the only people they can't ride roughshod over appear to be the Police and the local authorities, so if they want the other game Sat, then to put yet another live game into the Sky schedules could they make us play the first leg, if its at home, on Monday?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Harty said:
Yorkie, the point I'm trying to make is that as far as the play-offs are concerned Sky appear to call the shots, the only people they can't ride roughshod over appear to be the Police and the local authorities, so if they want the other game Sat, then to put yet another live game into the Sky schedules could they make us play the first leg, if its at home, on Monday?

Ah, got you now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here