Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

funding away trip

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
Villa chairman to fund cup trip

Lerner is hoping to make a positive impact on the club
Aston Villa chairman Randy Lerner will pay for 6,000 fans to travel to next week's Carling Cup game at Chelsea.
Lerner's gesture comes after manager Martin O'Neill praised the fans who travelled to Leicester in the last round of the competition.

"The manager was overwhelmed by the fantastic support we had and made the chairman aware of that," a Villa spokesman said on the club website.

"This is his way of trying to help the fans get down to Stamford Bridge."

Got me thinking, if we beat Northwich vic and get Lewes next round away, would DK pay for the trip? though if he did, then it would probably mean the team walking to cover the cost

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
gwpdylan said:

Got me thinking, if we beat Northwich vic and get Lewes next round away, would DK pay for the trip? though if he did, then it would probably mean the team walking to cover the cost

No, More chance of us signing Rooney, Ronaldinho, Buffon, Puyol and Zamora. All for free.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Villa fans getting praised for going to Leicester

Big deal! they are only about 30 miles apart?!?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's clearly a bit cheesy, but I think it might work as a 'hearts and minds' exercise. Fans who go away are a different breed, and they'll appreciate it.

And Lerner comes from a culture where the idea of taking 6,000 fans to an away game is unheard of, except for the Superbowl itself, so I'm sure he is impressed.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It is obvious that a Carling Cup game would get a low attendance otherwise, on Villa's part. Ensuring that 6k travel means that he will recoup 50% of their ticket price, plus that of Chelsea's attendance. He will keep them sweet and probably recoup most of the money!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Tooting Gull said:

And Lerner comes from a culture where the idea of taking 6,000 fans to an away game is unheard of, except for the Superbowl itself, so I'm sure he is impressed.

Are you talking about American Football?
If so im not so sure, The game I went to a few seasons back there were a lot of Detroit shirts in with the red of Tampa Bay.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Barrel of Fun said:
It is obvious that a Carling Cup game would get a low attendance otherwise, on Villa's part. Ensuring that 6k travel means that he will recoup 50% of their ticket price, plus that of Chelsea's attendance. He will keep them sweet and probably recoup most of the money!

What he said.

Alturistic businessman=Oxymoron.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here