Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fulham stay up.. surely THE greatest escape ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, I think that this is the greatest escape, ever !

3 away wins on the bounce.... not done by Fulham since there was a Tory Government. And, by all accounts they have done it by playing football, not kick and rush like Bolton et al !

Well done to the Phoney Pharoh !:drink:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Nope I don't think it was, the best escape was done by WBA. Because they were bottom at Boxing day, and no-team stay up after being bottom at Boxing Day. but miracles did happen, and WBA beat Pompey and the other results went their way.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...umm, greatest escape ever...my mind drifts back to the end of the 96/97 season...a team 12 points clear at the bottom over Christmas, avoids relegation on the last day of the season...don't think that will ever be beaten.

However, think Fulham did pretty well to turn their situation round, by keeping their nerve and playing some attractive football...Roy Hodgson is some sort of a genius.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Congratulations to Fulham, it's a long way back when you slip into the abyss of the Championship. You could see how much it meant to their supporters by their pitch invasion at the end.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Have to agree with Gully,pleased that Fulham have stayed up. However 12 (Twelve) points adrift at christmas. Well Steve Gritt. Thanks. :bowdown:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
...umm, greatest escape ever...my mind drifts back to the end of the 96/97 season...a team 12 points clear at the bottom over Christmas, avoids relegation on the last day of the season...don't think that will ever be beaten.

What he said.

Fulham have nothing on Gritt, Reinelt, Storer, Ormerod and the rest. :bowdown:

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
I'd rather Fulham than Reading anyday - people who say different have very short memories!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Congratulations to Fulham, it's a long way back when you slip into the abyss of the Championship. You could see how much it meant to their supporters by their pitch invasion at the end.

Ooh yes how horrible it would be for the fans of Fulham, a team who bought their way into the Premiership ten or so years back, at a time when we were facing going out of existence and many of whose fans, on our visits to Craven Cottage, were complete ****s about the plight of BHA at the time. Wouldn't it be awful for those fans to have to suffer the 'abyss' of the Championship.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
'The 1st Reading goalscorer this afternoon is Brighton and Hove Albion'

:tosser:

They never quite got over us pipping them to the title, did they?

A good friend of mine is still insistent that Reading were a better team. Despite finishing BELOW us AND failing to beat us!

Great finish by Charlie though and a stonking debut from Elphick Sr :D

I will never forget that finish from CKR. My only positive (live) memory of his stay.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
roy hodgson is brilliant - he looks and sounds completely senile, and is one of the most honest blokes there is

hero :clap: :clap: :clap:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Surely Carlisle staying up with Jimmy Glass their keeper NOTCHING in injury time was pretty GREAT...

yeah - but it wasnt a BRIGHTON escape so its not as good

northwich victoria only had THREE points at the end of october or something stupid this season, yet they have ended up finishing in MID TABLE. that is pretty impressive

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Bullard_Jimmy_587389.jpg

:bowdown:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Oldham's top flight survival in the 92/93 season. With three games to play they were EIGHT points from safety. Somehow they managed to win their last three games while the team that were cruising EIGHT points clear of them could only garner one further point from their remaining games. Oldham subsequently stayed up on goal difference. The relegated team? CRYSTAL PALACE!:clap2::clap2::clap2: That's as brilliant a relegation...er, survival...as any.:thumbsup:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

I know you are the king of odd comments, but this one is very odd.

If you look at the teams relegated from the Premiership, a noticable amount get back within the first couple of seasons (Sunderland, Birmingham, WBA etc). The issue is if they do not get up in those 2 seasons, then it becomes difficult, as the parachute money stops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here