Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fuel Costs

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I think fuel duty should be flexible to the price of oil. So as prices go up duty goes down and vice versa to maintain a constant price at the pump.

This approach might also make the governnment think twice about starting stupid wars against the oil controlling nations as it would push oil prices up and therefore their tax revenue down.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What is an acceptable level?

Where would the government get the tax revenue from that is loses by reducing the duty?

Mate I was just posting a link. You don't have to give me the 3rd degree about where the tax will come from instead. If you are happy paying through the nose then don't sign it :thumbsup:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Mate I was just posting a link. You don't have to give me the 3rd degree about where the tax will come from instead. If you are happy paying through the nose then don't sign it :thumbsup:

It wasn't aimed at you.

They were just the two immediate questions that came to mind when i read about it. Thought others may want to think about them as well, hence the post.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

Ah, but if that's what you think, you should have written something more like 'Please sign this petition' otherwise it reads like an order. And you provided the link so presumably you agree with it. How are you going to persuade me that I should sign such a petition without some sort of rationale?

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Ah, but if that's what you think, you should have written something more like 'Please sign this petition' otherwise it reads like an order.
:thud:

Oh and I've edited the original post just for you

How are you going to persuade me that I should sign such a petition without some sort of rationale?
I'm not If you don't agree then don't sign it ! Simple :glare:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The trouble with reducing fuel duty (apart from the loss of revenue) is, as the Guardian pointed out this morning, that it goes against everything that has been said by this government.

It's been made clear that 'green' taxes are there to deter people from taking excessive flights and driving unnecessarily, whether you to believe that to be the case is beside the point, that's what the Labour government (and the Tory opposition) believe. The message is simply this: high prices help deter driving.

If a government were to reduce duty then its message would be to carry on driving, in direct contravention of the government's commitment on climate change.

Politically, Gordon Brown might see the benefits in reducing duty but it would be a dramatic U-turn -after his one on the 10p tax - and could lead to trouble with the EU.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
The thing everyone needs to look at the bigger picture. It's not just the tax is it. Fuel prices are going up and we're all paying it but then the Haulage companys can't keep swallowing the increases, so eventually the costs are passed on to us. So we are paying for it twice.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
:thud:

Oh and I've edited the original post just for you

Thank you.

But I'm still not going to sign the petition. It's funny how people like market forces when they work in their favour, but not so much when they don't. Oil is a finite resource and so its price is likely to go up as supply reduces.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Thank you.

But I'm still not going to sign the petition. It's funny how people like market forces when they work in their favour, but not so much when they don't. Oil is a finite resource and so its price is likely to go up as supply reduces.

Less dependence on fossil fuel. Good thing. Probably only price will do that.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
The trouble with reducing fuel duty (apart from the loss of revenue) is, as the Guardian pointed out this morning, that it goes against everything that has been said by this government.

It's been made clear that 'green' taxes are there to deter people from taking excessive flights and driving unnecessarily, whether you to believe that to be the case is beside the point, that's what the Labour government (and the Tory opposition) believe. The message is simply this: high prices help deter driving.

If a government were to reduce duty then its message would be to carry on driving, in direct contravention of the government's commitment on climate change.

Politically, Gordon Brown might see the benefits in reducing duty but it would be a dramatic U-turn -after his one on the 10p tax - and could lead to trouble with the EU.
Yes of course its due to green issues just like the war with Iraq was to do with weapons of mass destruction.

Get in the real world. The ONLY reson they dont reduce it, it because its easy money for them. They've taxed us to f*** already, so at least with fuel tax they can claim its out of their control.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes of course its due to green issues just like the war with Iraq was to do with weapons of mass destruction.

Get in the real world. The ONLY reson they dont reduce it, it because its easy money for them. They've taxed us to f*** already, so at least with fuel tax they can claim its out of their control.

I didn't say that the taxes were for green reasons - I said that's what the government would have us believe.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Thank you.

Laazngenlmn...we have a BRAIN in da house.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Damn good political debate in this thread.

I'm most impressed.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont want to sign it. because at the end of the day, its night.

and for all the reason already gone over. the only place it would be proper to change the duty would be for the haulage industry so that it doesnt feed into inflation so much. but then they should be encouraging use of rail more so we're back to square one. the point is really quite sharp. fuel is actually really insanly cheap and people will still drive to work and the shops on Sunday if it doubled, while all the other little trips add up to very little of the over all petrol consumption.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Save fuel and ban the car and go back to a real village life. One carpenter, one baker, one doctor etc, but 2 pubs in case you get banned from one of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here