Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Front page of the Argus. Baker at it again.

I wrote to Charles Kennedy quite a while ago about Baker (and pointing out that, after Bellotti, the LibDems already had a bad reputation amongst Brighton fans). I received a very detailed letter saying that the party was decentralised and that the national leadership believed in letting its individual elected members come to decisions according to their own consciences and the needs of their constituents. Therefore, he could not be seen to criticise or appear to influence the public views of Baker. I wrote back saying that such a policy was highly commendable and that I was looking forward to reading the papers that his party was abolishing its Whips. He didn't reply.

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
I have taken a week to consider all what was said last Tuesday by all parties.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with Timbo. I know what we all want to believe and hope for but am concerned time will gradually slip away without any categoric FINAL decisions and the election will be on us.
If nothing is finalised by Christmas then the supporters have got to really let the government know that that the three local seats are in jeopardy.
I do not support any particular party and cast my vote as I decide which party will support my wants at any election.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
westdeneite said:
IIf nothing is finalised by Christmas then the supporters have got to really let the government know that that the three local seats are in jeopardy.

If we get much in to the new year with no decision, then it'll be the equivalent of a NO as far as the Labour party's chances in Brighton are concerned. JP must know that - hence why on earth would he not have said NO in March 2004? The only reason I can come up with is that he wants to say YES. However, if March 2005 looms with no decision made, there will be a LOT of unhappy folk in Brighton, and Caplin will be very aware of that.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Completely agree balloonboy, both myself and my family have voted labour for years & years. However, all of us have said that they would not vote for any B&H MP if either the stadium had been turned down or a decision had not been made.

One thing to bear in mind is that politically, the sooner Prescott makes his mind up the better. The latest a Gen.Election can be called is in Summer 2006, thus the present government having served 5 years.

In '92, John Major kept holding out until he thought that he'd stand a fair chance of winning the election.

If Prescott made his decsision now...it'd be likely that the people around B&H that don't care as much about the Albion would have forgotten about the stadium decision as unfortunately, people have short memories(ie, Thatcher & the Miner's strike her popularity was 12% 2 years later she won a landslide election).

Therefore, the sooner we get the decision is not necessarily the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here