Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Front page of the Argus. Baker at it again.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Written by our very own Mathew James.

Norman Baker saying the Stadium decision was delyaed to save MPs jobs. I hate this bloke more and more.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Me too, i had a letter from Nigel Waterson today in response to my asking why he hadn't signed the EDM. After the normal its not in my cinstituency so i don't feel i can have a public view on it, he said "I have to say, I was very puzzled recently and dissappointed to hear that my Parlimentary neighbour, Norman Baker MP, had turned up at the Public Inquiry to argue against the proposal."

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
What can we do to tell this interfering old Lib Dem tosser to keep his nose out. He is going to loose his party seats.

Baker's theory is that Prescott is trying to spin the whole thing out as long as possible, in the belief that this will protect his (and the Labour Party's interests).

I find that difficult to believe. If anything, delaying the decision will be what damages Labour.

Like most politicians, Baker sees things from the politician's point of view.

It might just be the case (and I think it is) that the issue is being treated by the ODPM as primarily a planning thing and not a political thing - although, having seen Collyer's report, we have to concede that the campaigning has had the effect of turning an easy 'NO' decision into a difficult, but eventual, 'YES' outcome.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Lord Bracknell said:
having seen Collyer's report, we have to concede that the campaigning has had the effect of turning an easy 'NO' decision into a difficult, but eventual, 'YES' outcome.

That's what I wanted to hear. It HAS to be a yes, we cant let NIMBYs, Bakers and the un informed ruin it for us.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I thought Baker had been told to keep his trap shut by Charles Kennedy, leader of the Lib Dems, as he was causing damage to the Lib Dem reputation in Lewes and Sussex.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo said:
I thought Baker had been told to keep his trap shut by Charles Kennedy, leader of the Lib Dems, as he was causing damage to the Lib Dem reputation in Lewes and Sussex.

And Charles (where's my fence to sit on) Kennedy strikes terror into the likes of Baker and will get him to stop his ramblings? Maybe the LibDumbs are anti-Falmer too... this week! They'll support whoever looks like being the eventual winner and Baker will continue being Baker.

A Lib Dem twat aided and abetted those bastards Archer and Stanley and now we've got the 'son of Bellotti' doing his best to finish the job needle nose started!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Lord Bracknell said:
Like most politicians, Baker sees things from the politician's point of view.

Surly JP does to after all he is a politician.

Last edited:

Biscuit said:
Surly JP does to after all he is a politician.
Up to a point. Tuesday's letter was from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister. Their planning team are responsible for advising whichever Secretary of State is in post.

Even if UKIP won the next general election, the same team of civil servants would be responsible for managing the planning process.

Whilst Prescott's name is associated with the decision to re-open the Public Inquiry, he will have been advised by his civil servants that his options were highly constrained by the requirements of planning law. Civil servants have a duty to protect their political masters against the possibility of legal challenge.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I took my chance to tell Charles Kennedy when I got to meet him last year that Baker was inexplicably anti-Falmer. He replied that this was odd, as "Norman is a pretty sound kinda guy, and must have his reasons." He promised he'd have the matter looked into. Hmmm...

Clearly Norm has not changed, but it's now obvious his anti-stadium view is not shared by all his Westminster colleagues.

Other people reluctantly concede that Baker is a good constituency MP, whose views on the big issues - this crucial one apart - they themselves would generally share. I looked at his website and can see what they mean... (anti-Iraq war, monarchy, top-up fees, hunting, animal experiments, guns, 4 x 4s... )

But on Falmer he is most certainly being a pillock. End of.

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
Bwian said:
And Charles (where's my fence to sit on) Kennedy strikes terror into the likes of Baker and will get him to stop his ramblings? Maybe the LibDumbs are anti-Falmer too... this week! They'll support whoever looks like being the eventual winner and Baker will continue being Baker.

Nonsense. A greater proportion of the 55 Lib Dem MPs have signed the EDM than MPs from other parties.

Get your facts right before coming up with silly rants like this. Yes, there is Norman Baker on the other side, but saying all Lib Dems oppose Falmer is wrong.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Gilliver's Travels said:
... Other people reluctantly concede that Baker is a good constituency MP, whose views on the big issues - this crucial one apart - they themselves would generally share. I looked at his website and can see what they mean... (anti-Iraq war, monarchy, top-up fees, hunting, animal experiments, guns, 4 x 4s... )
I think you've partly put your finger on it. It's so much easier to be AGAINST things and Baker does it in Spades. Sure we can all say we're in favor of World Peace, eradicating hunger and finding a cure for AIDS but I bet we've all got different ideas of what the 'best' way would be to achieve that. It's so much easier to oppose the detail of other people's ideas whilst only giving general suggestions of your own.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I read it on Saturday and thought that it was worringly correct.

He took a couple of days before making that statement and it seems very plausible and well thought out.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Oval Gull said:
Nonsense. A greater proportion of the 55 Lib Dem MPs have signed the EDM than MPs from other parties.

Get your facts right before coming up with silly rants like this. Yes, there is Norman Baker on the other side, but saying all Lib Dems oppose Falmer is wrong.

Don't think I did-did I? Before telling me to get my facts right maybe you should read things properly.

"Maybe the Lib-Dems are anti-Falmer too .... this week!" hardly says "All Lib-Dems are anti-Falmer". Or does it?

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
Bwian said:
Don't think I did-did I? Before telling me to get my facts right maybe you should read things properly.

"Maybe the Lib-Dems are anti-Falmer too .... this week!" hardly says "All Lib-Dems are anti-Falmer". Or does it?

When you read the rest of the quote that seems to be pretty much what you were saying!

But there are more important things to worry about...like getting the stadium :)

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
The LibDem spekesman on Planning issues is categorically FOR Falmer, according to a letter I received from him:

"Please accept my apologies for the length of time that it has taken me to respond, bit as LibDem spokesman on planning issues I wanted to ensure I had all of the facts before adding my support to EDM 889. I am now in a position to confirm that after consulting with other representatives of both the Parliamentary Liberal Democrats and Brighton & Hove Liberal Democrat councillors, I have signed the EDM" (Edward Davey, MP)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here