Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From the horses mouth, RE trains from Falmer.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
A complete lack of understanding of train working/ regulations. The signal will turn to red after the first few coaches have gone past and the signal behind will get a proceed aspect. As far as the driver of the next train is concerned the next section is clear. If your brilliant idea was implemented then a train could come out of Falmer tunnel and pile into the coaches still being filled at the platform.

Another problem would be at Lewes where six of the coaches would be off the platform and across the junction blocking all other train movements.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
A complete lack of understanding of train working/ regulations. The signal will turn to red after the first few coaches have gone past and the signal behind will get a proceed aspect. As far as the driver of the next train is concerned the next section is clear. If your brilliant idea was implemented then a train could come out of Falmer tunnel and pile into the coaches still being filled at the platform.

What are you on about thats not how it works at all, Yes the signal will turn red once the train has reached a certain point past the signal but the signal in rear wont show a procede aspect until the rear part of the front train has cleared what is known as the overlap (which in a lot of cases is at least 200 yards past the signal ) Working on your theory the signal in rear would have whats known as a wrong side failure which is extremely serious and the signal would be signed out of use until it has been thoroughly checked and repaired.

Another problem would be at Lewes where six of the coaches would be off the platform and across the junction blocking all other train movements.

To help with Lewes station debate I attach an image courtesy Google earth.

Lewes station.jpg

Platforms 3,4, and 5 can hold 7 coaches apparently, not sure if Southern have units that could be coupled thus. You could "easily" extend the platforms toward Brighton to accommodate longer trains provided you widened (or put in a new road bridge), rearranged the tracks to the south of the station and probably demolished one or two properties to achieve this.

Trainspotter question: What is the ultimate destination of the train in the picture?

To help with the Lewes station debate I attach an image courtesy Google earth.

Lewes station.jpg

Platforms 3,4, and 5 can hold 7 coaches apparently, not sure if Southern have units that could be coupled thus.

You could "easily" extend the platforms toward Brighton to accommodate longer trains provided you widened (or put in a new road bridge), rearranged the tracks to the south of the station and probably demolished one or two properties in the process to achieve this. You would also need to extend the platforms at Falmer as well for maximum benefit. How many hours for how many days each year is this going to be of use?

Trainspotter question: What is the ultimate destination of the train in the picture?

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Wow, I assume you work alone? I would have thought there were some clues as to my ignorance of the situation, i.e. "I'm sure this has been said before but WHY"?, and the the use of a question mark. I don't profess to know the inner workings of the railway system, neither am I saying I am right, I'm asking a bloody question. I love it when people state why something can't be done rather than looking for a solution. Anyway off to try to work out how to tie my shoe laces now, must go!

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

There are 2 trains in the picture. 1 departing Platform 3 eastbound is a 2 car so will be going to Ashford. The other in Platform 5 will go to Brighton, it could continue further after reversing at Brighton.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
By the way the 2 car limit on the ashford line is bollocks was told this by 2 different train inspectors.

Feb 14, 2010
Wow, I assume you work alone? I would have thought there were some clues as to my ignorance of the situation, i.e. "I'm sure this has been said before but WHY"?, and the the use of a question mark. I don't profess to know the inner workings of the railway system, neither am I saying I am right, I'm asking a bloody question. I love it when people state why something can't be done rather than looking for a solution. Anyway off to try to work out how to tie my shoe laces now, must go!

Absolutely spot on Tim Over Whelmed. To add to the "cant do attitude" of some there is also the head in the sand brigade. It will improve tho', it has to and Tony Bloom is not daft.

larsmartin

Sep 23, 2011
Absolutely spot on Tim Over Whelmed. To add to the "cant do attitude" of some there is also the head in the sand brigade. It will improve tho', it has to and Tony Bloom is not daft.

Beyond some minor tweaking, I'm not sure it will. The current matchday travel experience is acceptable when you compare it to other grounds in the country. The other thing to say is that if Falmer station was 15-20 minutes walk from the ground we wouldn't be having this conversation - I think a lot of the frustration is caused by the fact that people are spending their time in a queue or on a platform rather than walking to a station (not that there is any workable solution to this, obviously).

larsmartin

Sep 23, 2011

Beyond some minor tweaking, I'm not sure it will. The current matchday travel experience is acceptable when you compare it to other grounds in the country. The other thing to say is that if Falmer station was 15-20 minutes walk from the ground we wouldn't be having this conversation - I think a lot of the frustration is caused by the fact that people are spending their time in a queue or on a platform rather than walking to a station (not that there is any workable solution to this, obviously).

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man

Whilst having a back of house tour of the Amex early Monday afternoon I stated the exact same thing to the facilities manager. At most other stadiums the crowd has split up by the time they reach the station, whereas at Amex they all get to the station simultaneously.

Simple answer is move the station further away from the ground :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Whilst having a back of house tour of the Amex early Monday afternoon I stated the exact same thing to the facilities manager. At most other stadiums the crowd has split up by the time they reach the station, whereas at Amex they all get to the station simultaneously.

Simple answer is move the station further away from the ground :lolol:

Re-build the original Falmer Station, which was about one mile to the east of the current one.

Peasy.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
yes there is
give it about 20 minutes to clear, in the meantime stay in the ground, have another pint,

patience my friend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here