Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From the horses mouth, RE trains from Falmer.

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
Today there was a major signal failure just outside of Brighton preventing trains entering or leaving on the Lewes line. I had to take a guard and driver to Lewes in the cab and bring one back to Brighton and used the time to chat about the chaos on matchdays.
This may already be common knowledge but both drivers said that the problems could be eased but at a huge cost to the club .

First , the platforms at Falmer need extending to get longer trains in. (quite obvious really) and secondly the fact that there is only ONE signal between Falmer and Brighton (positioned just before the viaduct at Brighton). Trains are not allowed to leave Falmer until the previous one has passed this signal and is effectively inside Brighton station .
Both guys reckoned that the installation of a second signal at Moulsecoomb would enable them to run 2 trains in almost the same time they currently run one .
Would it be the club that needed to pay though ?
They both raised concerns regarding safety issues with so many fans crammed into trains , i use the P+R so have no experience of this , but think the situation needs to improve massively if the ground expansion is to get the green light ?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I really don't understand this perceived 'chaos on matchdays'. I haven't yet failed to get a train half an hour after a match and I don't rush. I see that as entirely reasonable.

As to extending the platform and installing signals, that would require talks with Rail Track, and anyone who works in Transport will tell you that can be prohibitively expensive.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It would help if they loaded the trains properly. I always head to the end of the lewes bound platform and always get a seat in the almost empty carriage and I noticed on Saturday night the last carriage of the Brighton train which was in the platform at the same time only had about 10 people in it

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
tbh i must admit heading towards Lewes its a headache but its worth it

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
'Chaos'? 45mins-an hour to get away from a football stadium full of over 20,000 people is not chaos surely?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I really don't understand this perceived 'chaos on matchdays'. I haven't yet failed to get a train half an hour after a match and I don't rush. I see that as entirely reasonable.

As to extending the platform and installing signals, that would require talks with Rail Track, and anyone who works in Transport will tell you that can be prohibitively expensive.

Yup, totally agree. I've got the train every Saturday and not once had a problem. Arrive early-ish, stay back for a pint after, its an absolute breeze.

As long as you're not expecting to arrive at 2.55 and get away at 4.45 without there being a bit of a crush, its a cinch.

eastterracemike

Jan 31, 2008
I just need someone from southern rail to tell me why they can't put on more carriages to Lewes and run trains more frequently. I know about the platform issue and admittedly I got on a 6 coach train on sat but have looked up times of trains for west ham game and there isn't one to Lewes between 10.15 and 10.45 approx. laughable. I would like to stay for a drink for a change and not rush out on the whistle.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
These guys need to commute to London. Every day there is a worse crush in the underground at major stations than you will ever experience at Falmer. Things could be better if gangs of fat blokes would move away from the doors, but otherwise this is a big fuss over nothing.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
A was chatting to a driver i know while waiting for the connection at Lewes following the Palace game, and he said that the problem with bigger trains on the east coast line is that there isn't enough current to run them.
i suggested that surely they could run a diesel unit on the line but he said it wasn't in their interest to.
Difficult to see a solution that wouldn't cost the club a small fortune.

Feb 14, 2010
Today there was a major signal failure just outside of Brighton preventing trains entering or leaving on the Lewes line. I had to take a guard and driver to Lewes in the cab and bring one back to Brighton and used the time to chat about the chaos on matchdays.
This may already be common knowledge but both drivers said that the problems could be eased but at a huge cost to the club .

First , the platforms at Falmer need extending to get longer trains in. (quite obvious really) and secondly the fact that there is only ONE signal between Falmer and Brighton (positioned just before the viaduct at Brighton). Trains are not allowed to leave Falmer until the previous one has passed this signal and is effectively inside Brighton station .
Both guys reckoned that the installation of a second signal at Moulsecoomb would enable them to run 2 trains in almost the same time they currently run one .
Would it be the club that needed to pay though ?
They both raised concerns regarding safety issues with so many fans crammed into trains , i use the P+R so have no experience of this , but think the situation needs to improve massively if the ground expansion is to get the green light ?

Yep. The trains need sorting out, being in denial is not an option

Feb 14, 2010
'Chaos'? 45mins-an hour to get away from a football stadium full of over 20,000 people is not chaos surely?

Thats 45 minutes before you have started your journey. I also know people after the leeds game that only just made it into brighton for 11.30 after the game. That way longer than 45 minutes. Not that its a problem for me as I drive to coldean and have written off going to midweek games as it is now far too much of a hassle from London. If the trains worked well however then I would go to an evening game

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It is running very well, for the first time on Saturday we caught the first train off Falmer to Brighton post match.

D

Deleted User X18H

There is signal on the viaduct. I lived under it for 5 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here