Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From Reading Evening Post today.

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
Sorry, another cut and paste to keep you all on your toes................................

STEVE COPPELL’S appointment as the next Reading manager was thrown into doubt today after claims that the club had been forced to scrap a press conference unveiling him as Alan Pardew’s successor.

Negotiations with the Brighton boss have been on-going over the past few days and he was absent from Seagulls’ training session at Falmer yesterday. Coppell’s assistant Bob Booker was in charge.

But Brighton chairman Dick Knight said: “Steve is clearly still negotiating with them (Reading) because they cancelled a scheduled press conference for yesterday afternoon.

“Steve knows where this club stands. We want him to stay, but he’s got to make his decision quickly.

“Clearly this impasse cannot go on for us or Reading.”

The saga has now dragged on for three weeks following the resignation of Pardew, who is due to take charge of West Ham on October 18.

Reading, though, continue to keep fans in the dark and have once again failed to offer any explanation for the delay.

Despite countless phone calls from the Evening Post this morning, club officials were unavailable for comment, while chief executive Nigel Howe was said to be “too busy” to talk.

A club source, though, told me he was confident Coppell will make the switch eventually.

Reading can’t afford to miss out on a second manager after being snubbed by Hull City boss Peter Taylor.

But I understand the board are now desperately putting together contingency plans in the nightmare scenario that Coppell elects to stay with the Second Division leaders.

Iain Dowie, Tony Adams and Bryan Robson were all interviewed for the Royals job, although Robson is set to take over as Nigeria coach.

Sonning-based Glenn Hoddle has also been linked with a move to Reading, while another unnamed boss was also in the frame.

Although Reading’s match with Burnley this weekend has been postponed due to international call-ups, Brighton entertain Grimsby and will demand a resolution today or tomorrow.

READING striker Andre Fashanu, who is on loan at Conference side Farnborough Town, was stretchered off with a suspected broken leg minutes after scoring a goal in his side’s 3-1 defeat at home to Forest Green last night.

ANDRE Boucaud and Darius Henderson were due to play their first game for Reading today since finishing loan spells with Peterborough and Brighton respectively as the reserves travelled to Wycombe (kick off 2pm).

Team: Ashdown, Soares, Rifat, Mullins, Salako, Tyson, Watson, Boucaud, Noto, Henderson, Savage. Subs: Young, Davies, Campbell, Bouton

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
They're almost talking as if COppell has backed out......

Again still speculation though.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
He hasn't gone yet !!
:bounce:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
nice to know he's so desperate to join RFC that he's still negotiating after a WEEK.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well if SC does back out, let's hope it's caused enough delays and problems to completely feck their season.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Nah you can bet Dick knows whats going on, I think this is another great case of Majeski counting his chickens before his eggs have hatched and is now being made to look a fool. Unfortunalty this means that everything gone all hush hush, but the truth will out, very soon hopefully

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Well it didn't affect us saturday and it seems to spur the team on as they are proving a point ha ha ha.

Actually lets not resolve it and keep it going all season grrrrrrr!:lolol:

I keep telling you. Coppell isn't going to Reading. I am (un)reliably informed that we have signed Gary Johnson from Yeovil.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
WhitleyDennis said:
I keep telling you. Coppell isn't going to Reading. I am (un)reliably informed that we have signed Gary Johnson from Yeovil.

The way he's keeping both sets of fans waiting-do you really want him as your manager now? I'm not so sure about him in charge of the Albion from now on.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
i dont want SC at brighton anymore

he is trying dick's, and the players, AND the fans patience,
for what?? a few extra £££? i am sure he expected reading to
make an offer that was better than BHA were paying, or he wouldn't have been talking with them, right?

if he does stay, i cant see how the players can respect him, because his heart is clearly not at withdean - who else would
be looking for a new job, 2 months ino a new contract??

stay or go, sc, just decide quick, or dk and board may do it
for you, and tell him to feck off back to palarse..

Stumpy Tim

I'm Brian and so is my wife said:
The way he's keeping both sets of fans waiting-do you really want him as your manager now? I'm not so sure about him in charge of the Albion from now on.

I want him, as he's got us to the top of Div 2 despite selling our best player & having no extra cash. There's ni loyalty in football anymore - all I care about is winning games. If Coppell can get us up then I want him to stay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here