Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From 5 live radio Brighton need proper keeper .

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We have got a proper GK - we just need a better one. Anyway, according to 5 Live now, Wolves would be a great move for Gus...................

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We have got a proper GK - we just need a better one. Anyway, according to 5 Live now, Wolves would be a great move for Gus...................
Sounds like the daggers were out for us today.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brezovan has been reasonable but it is on days like today when you need a keeper to excel and earn his corn and hopefully save the day. That will not happen with either of our keepers I do not think, as a result we need abetter keeper for next season if we have any ambitions.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Most of us have known for about a year that we need 2 new keepers.Don't know why the management haven't sussed it!

ok, read a few threads and replies on this topic. Wholeheartedly agree that a keep is desperately needed as our first choice two are not the standard required at this level.
So, what is the answer? Gamble and buy someone in who is perceived to be the one? (Harper didn't work out and he is getting older); or, develop the untapped talent we must have in our development squad? Personally, the latter is the one I would go for as there is plenty of scope to for a young keeper to develop and mould with the squad.
It's blatantly obvious our defence has no confidence in our keepers as that is why we are so poor going forward. Remember the Grummit, Steele, Moseley, Beeney, keeley days? No rocket science behind this one.
There are better keepers in L1 and L2 than the two we have got presently. This should be our No 1 priority (no pun intended). For the remaining 3 fixtures, give Poke a chance, give him the opportunity to prove something and give him valuable experience to build confidence.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Poke is not good enough and lacks presence (i have seen him several times) I'd rather see Gonzales given a chance, but the bottom line is none of our current keepers are good enough. Brez is a decent understudy but that's about it.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This summer will be a real test of how genuine the stated ambitions are at the club. If you want to be a Peterborough or a Millwall, the squad is fine. If you want to be challenging at the top, it's way off. That isn't to say I haven't massively enjoyed this season, but it is just obvious.

There is no doubt in my mind that Gus was appalled by the defending yesterday, including from some usually reliable players like Greer and El Abd, as well as the suspect Brezovan, Calderon and Painter.

We know we need at least one striker (probably two), at least one experienced midfielder (maybe two), two full-backs, and a goalkeeper. If you are buying top of the Championship/Premier League quality, that is a lot of money.

Lots of ins and outs this summer, I suspect.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Why is it!

Its an honest comment. People hate the truth!!!
....because the bloke on radio 5, has probably watched the Brezovan once or twice and can't possibly know if this was a regular performance or a really off day. Brez and the team were rubbish yesterday, but he has put in some decent performances this season.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
....because the bloke on radio 5, has probably watched the Brezovan once or twice and can't possibly know if this was a regular performance or a really off day. Brez and the team were rubbish yesterday, but he has put in some decent performances this season.

What are you talking about? The bloke on 5 Live isn't paid to be some sort of PR consultant. He is paid to call the day's game. And if he was calling it correctly, he would have said that brighton were f***ing terrible, the defence was sh*te, and Brezovan is not a Championship keeper based on THAT performance.

I don't know why you're defending him, it is obvious that Gus has not had 100 per cent confidence in either keeper at this level all season. Brez is in at the moment, but we need a new one urgently. Making a few good saves isn't enough. You also need to command the area, catch the ball, and instil confidence in the defence.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

I personally think he's a dodge. Nobody feels comfortable with him in goal. Theres nervous tension everytime he's near the ball and that cannot be good.

Poke is not good enough and lacks presence (i have seen him several times) I'd rather see Gonzales given a chance, but the bottom line is none of our current keepers are good enough. Brez is a decent understudy but that's about it.

Although I tend to agree, without a regular place and only playing a bit-part to the cause, Poke will never gain the experience or confidence required as he constantly knows that he will be replaced. Surely Gus must have some faith in him as he would have been released by now?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What are you talking about? The bloke on 5 Live isn't paid to be some sort of PR consultant. He is paid to call the day's game. And if he was calling it correctly, he would have said that brighton were f***ing terrible, the defence was sh*te, and Brezovan is not a Championship keeper based on THAT performance.

I don't know why you're defending him, it is obvious that Gus has not had 100 per cent confidence in either keeper at this level all season. Brez is in at the moment, but we need a new one urgently. Making a few good saves isn't enough. You also need to command the area, catch the ball, and instil confidence in the defence.
That's all fair enough, but even Gordon Banks had shit days.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's all fair enough, but even Gordon Banks had shit days.

So now you're comparing Petr Brezovan to Gordon Banks! That is the single most ridiculous post I have ever seen on here.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I personally think he's a dodge. Nobody feels comfortable with him in goal. Theres nervous tension everytime he's near the ball and that cannot be good.
We do need a better keeper, I just don't think its the place of a commentator to say that.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So now you're comparing Petr Brezovan to Gordon Banks! That is the single most ridiculous post I have ever seen on here.
No I'm saying that Gordon Banks had bad days, but would a commentator be as quick to write him off.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We do need a better keeper, I just don't think its the place of a commentator to say that.

Err..why not? That's exactly the sort of thing they ARE there to say. You do realise that commentary is not ONLY good when it's saying nice things about the Albion?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Err..why not? That's exactly the sort of thing they ARE there to say. You do realise that commentary is not ONLY good when it's saying nice things about the Albion?
Being critical of a team display is one thing, but to say that a team needs to bin a specific player on the strength of one (terrible) display to MY mind seems very harsh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here