Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friends finally finishes

Indefatigable

Mar 23, 2004
... seem a bit of an expert Brovian.

my daughter laughs out loud a lot at this programme, so some people enjoy it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brovian said:
Oh ok, we'll have our own episode here:

Establishing shot, still of Coffee Bar 'Central Perk' to indicate to all the thick morons that the next scene is taking place in a coffee shop and not for example a nuclear submarine.

Ross: "Oh Joey's not here!"
(Laughter)

Cut to next establishing shot, raked angle shot of apartment block, same reason.

Ross (opening door of apartment) "And he's not here either!"
(More laughter. Twice as much as before)
Phoebe: "Are you looking for JOEY?"
(Gales of laughter and ecstacic applause)

There, classic stuff. Bet it brings back happy memories.

Class. Let's continue:

Camera sweeps round to Ross
"Maybe he's over at the studios where he's auditioning for a new part"
(Ross looks out of the window)
"Oh great - it's raining. That'll make it easier to get a cab"

(Tears of laughter in the audience, who collectively grasp what a powerful tool irony can be in the world of comedy)

Now over to Chandler
"Why do you need to find Joey anyway? Do you need to go to a bar with a sign that says "must be accompanied by a guy called Joey"?

Facial expression expresses that he thinks Ross a bit of a dork.

(More laughter ensues)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Indefatigable said:
... seem a bit of an expert Brovian.

my daughter laughs out loud a lot at this programme, so some people enjoy it.
I know, I'm actually being a bit unfair as there are FAR worse programs. All bar the first couple of series of "Only Fools and Horses" for example.

*puts on tin hat and ducks below parapet*

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brovian said:
I know, I'm actually being a bit unfair as there are FAR worse programs. All bar the first couple of series of "Only Fools and Horses" for example.

*puts on tin hat and ducks below parapet*
:clap: Has there been anything more tedious than the last 3 or 4 OFAH christmas specials? Probably not. A total bag of shit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Simster have you noticed how the BBC have managed to bring back the Trotters? Alfie, Spencer and Nana Moon in East Enders. Identical characters and about as funny.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not a massive fan of Friends, but it is very watchable. The script is sharp, and a damn sight more clever than most of the British sitcom crap. Face it, a show doesn't run for 10 years (or whatever it is) if its utter shite. Its run this long because its hugely popular, and its hugely popular because its pretty bloody good. As comedies of that type go, its stood out as easily one of the best (along with Frasier).

As usual though, if something does get massively popular, it almost gets trendy to slag it off so you're "not conforming" to the popular view. Well bollocks to that. I've probably watched a grand total of 2 episodes this year, so I'm not someone who tunes in religeously - but I recognise good quality writing when I hear it, and I've enjoyed Friends when I've watched it.

There. I've said it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I like Friends. Its pretty funny and there are some genuinely hilarious bits in the earlier series. Agreed that its gone on abit though, last two series have only been watchable, but thats just the way with anything thats very successful (witness Only Fools')

Prefer Coupling though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Don't agree Easy. The characters have all been established so the writing had become very lazy. Frasier is indeed brilliant (best American 'human' comedy ever IMO) but the last series has been very poor - again the writers have allowed the characters to become just cliches.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not the worst comedy ever Easy - but it's a bit toss because it's tired with the same old jokes for a whole decade. Always best to leave the audience wanting more - that's why Black Adder and Fawlty Towers are such classics.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I probably havn't watched enough of it then to recognise if its the same old jokes. Bit of an Only Fools & Horses syndrome by the sounds then, ie should have just finished and left it alone a few years ago. I still view it with fairly "fresh eyes" I suppose, and still enjoy it as a result.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
oh yes, and Jenifer Aniston is well fit, especially in the short skirts. And the tight tops. Marvellous. :p

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
I am going to stick up for it.

I reckon I have watched pretty much every epsiode of Friends, I absolutely LOVE it. I don't care if it is for girls, I think it is great.
It has good characters, consistently makes me laugh and I am genuinely dissapointed that it has finished.
I have enjoyed most series though I think the ones with Emily (Helen Baxendale) were the weakest. I think the current series has had some of the funniest episodes of the lot in it. That fake tan one was very funny. Possibly series 3 was the best but I could not be sure.

The only thing I would criticise about it is that every series they do one epsiode which is told in 'flashbacks' and, basically, is just a load of clips from previous series' episodes with a couple of quick scenes linking them. They are a bit crap and I was always dissapointed when I tuned in to find it was the flashback episode.

I am looking forward to the 'Joey' spin off. He is, easily, the best character anyway and someone told me it is going to be written by the Friends writers so I reckon it will be good.

Heard on the radio today that there have been something like 250 epsiodes made. To keep coming up with a story for each episode for that long is, I think, incredible.

I don't care if you all think I am QUEER, I will miss it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here