Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friendly: Woking v Brighton

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
these games are for match fitness and im sure they wont get carried away by beating these teams,but still good to have the goals flowing at the right end:clap:

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
Trialists all did good things and not such good things, but Dan Beck was very impressive on the right side of midfield and certainly our man of the match IMHO.

Team was Kuipers, El-Abd, Mayo, Hinshelwood, Virgo, Hammond, Beck, Harding, Kerekes (Molango 45), Tankary (Knight 59), Piercy (Jones 62). Unused subs: May, Robinson.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that all three showed they had something to offer. Beck hada good game on the right but it gopes against the grain to sayu that I thought the MOM was Hinshlewood he actually looked as if he could play football.

I thought that Woking were generally quite poor and visualise a hard long season for them.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Strike said:
This Molaongo sounds like he is showing early promise. Lets hope he can keep it up.

Apparently it was Tanakary who made the goal for him.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Had a real fright before I looked at this thread. Ceefax showing 3-0 to Woking and Teletext 3-0 to Brighton (or the other way round). But I'm a lot calmer now. Good result Beck sounds as if he could do a job in the future, unless McGee has other ideas.

Thought we looked better in this match than vs. Worthing. The three trialists all on in the game. The tall one in the first half looked up for it but din't impress. The other chap who was on first half and into the second looked much more skillfull on the ball but won nothing in the air (think he set up the other trialists goal too). The other one who scored seemed to link up well got a goal (albeit simple) and almost got another (and looked gutted when their keeper saved it).

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
BensGrandad said:
I thought that all three showed they had something to offer. Beck hada good game on the right but it gopes against the grain to sayu that I thought the MOM was Hinshlewood he actually looked as if he could play football.

I thought that Woking were generally quite poor and visualise a hard long season for them.

Good to see that two more of our youngsters impressed last night. I wonder whether Beck could be the answer to our lack of width on the pitch?

:)

sullyshuffle

Aug 16, 2003
Horsham
Beck had good game..worked hard and looked lively.
Kerekes showed some nice touches, but for big man didn't appear to do much in the air. He was subbed at half time by Molango. Skilful and showed signs of promise, eventaully linking up with Leon at end.
Third trialist, Tankary, did ok when on ball..bit of skill, but bit light weight in my opinion.

Got a photo, if I can work out how to post it!

Albionite83

Aug 27, 2003
www.wokingfc.co.uk

The Cards, playing their first pre-season friendly, found Brighton tough opponents last night on a balmy evening at Kingfield. Woking started brightly but never looked like getting back in the game once the Albion demonstrated their sharper approach work and finishing. Glenn used the game to try out several trialists, none of whom showed up particularly strongly, and a couple of Academy graduates.

As the teams stepped out, the Kingfield pitch looked in surprisingly good condition considering how recently it had been re-laid. The Cards started with Shwan Jalal in goal; a back four of Liam Parrington (ex – Westfield, Woking and West Ham), Luke Oliver, Gary MacDonald and Brendon Gallen (captain of Maidenhead last season); a midfield of Karl Murray, Scott Canham, Ian Selley and Steve Evans (ex-Brentford); and Michael Johnson and Amos Foyewa up front.

The Cards looked lively early on as Amos Foyewa’s bustling presence and pace caused some problems for the Brighton defenders. But they found it hard to convert pressure into scoring opportunities. Amos and Michael Johnson, surprisingly playing on the right rather than the left, found themselves increasingly isolated, with only Karl Murray regularly getting forward in support. Woking’s best effort came from Karl in the 20th minute as he pounced on a Gary MacDonald header from a corner to rifle in a decent shot.

A few minutes later Shwan Jalal, who had barely touched the ball, found himself having to pick it out of his net. A quick break by the speedy Dan Beck left Brendon Gallen trailing in his wake, resulting in a crisp finish by John Piercy. A second goal would have followed a few minutes later but for an excellent save by Shwan Jalal.

Woking continued to work hard, with Steve Evans showing one or two classy touches, but it was Brighton who threatened in attack , with Ibrahim Tankary creating an opening for Zsombor Kerekes.

Half-time : Woking 0 Brighton 1

Woking made four changes after the break. Adriano Basso came on for Jalal in goal; Bobby Behzadi (ex-Hayes and Yeading) took up the right back position; Nigerian Jidi Olugbobi was brought on to provide more physical presence up front; and Tom Jordan (ex-Tamworth and Forest Green Rovers, and son of Joe) came on for Luke Oliver in the centre of defence.

The Cards briefly threatened but the Seagulls quickly killed off the game as a contest as they scored two more goals. Both came as a result of poor defending at the far post, with Brendon Gallen (who looked more comfortable going forward than defending) arguably partly at fault for both. John Piercy created the first, with Dan Beck finishing neatly. Ibrahim Tankery then fed Italian trialist, Maheta Molango, for the second. An excellent save by Adriano Basso, whose handling and distribution impressed, prevented the Seagulls taking a 4-0 lead.

Woking’s best chance of the game came some twenty minutes into the second half as a good run by Gallen down the left saw him pass the ball to Amos Foyewa, who slipped the ball to Jidi Olugbobi, who just failed to convert as the Brighton keeper challenged.

After that the game deteriorated as a spectacle as Glenn made a welter of substitutions, bringing on several more players and re-introducing several others who had already been substituted. At one stage we had a central defensive partnership of Luke Oliver and Tom Jordan, which must be one of the tallest we’ve ever seen! Those coming on for the first time were Academy graduates, Dan Rice and Alex McGregor. The game ended with Brighton comfortably in control, passing the ball around with some ease.

Glenn won’t be too bothered about the result at this early stage of the pre-season preparations but may be a bit disappointed that the trialists didn’t show up more strongly. It is hard to judge players on one game, or part of a game – although my companions on the Chris Lane Terrace don’t seem to share this difficulty! - but neither Bobby Behzadi nor Brendon Gallen looked comfortable in defensive mode in the full back positions. Liam Parrington was not caught out as frequently but did not impress particularly. Jidi Olugbobi ran around gamely up front in the second half but did not make any real impression. Tom Jordan looked fine in the air but less assured on the ground. Steve Evans, whose departure from Griffin Park has surprised some Brentford fans, looked as though he had the class but did not make as much impact as might have been expected.

With Steve Ferguson, Raphael Nade, Justin Richards Jon Boardman, Neil Smith and Liam Cockerill sitting this game out, Glenn has quite a few familiar faces he can use for subsequent friendlies but he will no doubt want to try out a few more players in his search for two or three to complete the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here