Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Friday moan up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My daughter who travels from East Worthing to Durrington most mornings to attend college has to pay 3 pound something for her fare.
So far so good I hear you say - a most reasonable tarrif for a 3-4 mile journey.
Now the problem she has is that because East Worthing has no ticket office and the ticket machine is nearly always out of action she has to pay for her ticket on the train. Now here is the bit that gets me. If she does not have the exact money for her fair and she was to present a crisp ten pound note to the ticket collector he informs her that he can not issue any return change and if she wants change given then she has to leave the train at the next station because she is travelling illegally.
I know we have a few boys on here who work on the railways................ please tell me I`ve got this wrong.

2nd moan................ My young son was told to leave the shop on the way to school the other morning as there were already 2 school children in there and the shopkeeper operates a maximum of only 2 children in at once policy - which I have been told is commonplace nowadays - in his establishment.

Bastard kids.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My daughter who travels from East Worthing to Durrington most mornings to attend college has to pay 3 pound something for her fare.
So far so good I hear you say - a most reasonable tarrif for a 3-4 mile journey.
Now the problem she has is that because East Worthing has no ticket office and the ticket machine is nearly always out of action she has to pay for her ticket on the train. Now here is the bit that gets me. If she does not have the exact money for her fair and she was to present a crisp ten pound note to the ticket collector he informs her that he can not issue any return change and if she wants change given then she has to leave the train at the next station because she is travelling illegally.
I know we have a few boys on here who work on the railways................ please tell me I`ve got this wrong.

With that story, it's commonplace to travel from London Road to Falmer or Lewes, and plenty of people pay for tickets on the train.

For ages, there was no ticket machine at London Road, and the guards knew this and took it into consideration. I've NEVER seen one sling someone off the train for him not having the correct change. If that scenario happened, the guard would just say 'make sure you pay for your ticket at the other end'. If there isn't a barrier at the destination, he calls to the bloke on the platform that 'this one needs a ticket'. If there is a barrier, they're snookered anyway.

Point I'm making is that they seem fairly relaxed about it on the Brighton-Lewes trains. Whether they're working to the right policy or not is another matter, I suppose.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
With that story, it's commonplace to travel from London Road to Falmer or Lewes, and plenty of people pay for tickets on the train.

For ages, there was no ticket machine at London Road, and the guards knew this and took it into consideration. I've NEVER seen one sling someone off the train for him not having the correct change. If that scenario happened, the guard would just say 'make sure you pay for your ticket at the other end'. If there isn't a barrier at the destination, he calls to the bloke on the platform that 'this one needs a ticket'. If there is a barrier, they're snookered anyway.

Point I'm making is that they seem fairly relaxed about it on the Brighton-Lewes trains. Whether they're working to the right policy or not is another matter, I suppose.

Well thats what I would have thought. 2 years ago though my other daughter who attended the same college was allowed to travel as you say......and pay at the other end. It seems they dont trust youngsters as they can nip off at Durrington easily enough without crossing to the ticket office side.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Do they still have those little permit to travel machines that shows you at least attempted to pay your way?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Or the guard is a complete tit.

I've bought a ticket on the train every day for ages now. Every time the guard is happy to serve. However, one guard last week decided he was going to lecture everyone who bought a ticket on the train how it was an offence to board the train without a ticket and that he really ought to be charging everyone a penalty fare.

"But I'm not going to."
"Well if he's not going to, what's with the lecture?"
When it was pointed out that the machine at the station wasn't working, he simply replied "That's not the point. You still need a ticket."

There's always one.

Oct 25, 2003
it seems to depend on the person

some of the staff can be right pricks about it..........i often get on with fishersgate where there is no ticket machine and the 'permit to travel' or whatever machine is always broken due to HOOLIGANS

most staff are cool about it, and just let me pay on the train..........but i have encountered some right pricks who seem to believe that it's my fault that the correct payment facilities are unavailable

"oh right, yeh, sorry for not building a ticket machine for myself, i forgot that that IS my responsibility"

D

Deleted User X18H

Or the guard is a complete tit.

I've bought a ticket on the train every day for ages now. Every time the guard is happy to serve. However, one guard last week decided he was going to lecture everyone who bought a ticket on the train how it was an offence to board the train without a ticket and that he really ought to be charging everyone a penalty fare.

"But I'm not going to."
"Well if he's not going to, what's with the lecture?"
When it was pointed out that the machine at the station wasn't working, he simply replied "That's not the point. You still need a ticket."

There's always one.

Why don't you buy a season ticket?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do they still have those little permit to travel machines that shows you at least attempted to pay your way?

They do but are always bunged up with Juicy Fruit or one of the new medicated 'Airways' types. Of course I could be wrong here and am just overlooking the fact that it may be just plain old Bazooka bubblegum.... anyway shut Nibble and stop going on.

D

Deleted User X18H

But you said you bought a ticket on the train EVERY day for ages.Surely even a weekly will work out cheaper?

Just a thought an offer of advice even. Especially if you can use every other Saturday soon!

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
JOBSWORTHS

Plain and simple. Cant use a bit of intelligence like the Sportsmans door staff.

D

Deleted User X18H

Wot?

What I'm saying is - why would I need to buy a weekly ticket for the sake of taking the train to Falmer every other Saturday when this extra journey is not going to incur an extra cost?

I know! I wasn't aware the club were still doing travel vouchers for Falmer.

Although I suppose even though public transport is the best way to Falmer certain people still need to be encouraged to use it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here