Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Friday at the earliest!"

Jul 7, 2003
Ditchling
Long live cut and paste!!!!!!!!!!!

From footy mad:-

Reading striker Shaun Goater has admitted that he would be very surprised if anyone other than Steve Coppell is the new manager.

WHY NOT DISCUSS THIS ARTICLE ON THE READING MAD MESSAGEBOARD?

Bermudan forward Shaun Goater reckons that Steve Coppell will shortly become Reading's new manager.

Coppell has been heavily linked with the Royals in recent days, yet despite all the speculation Royals fans are still eagerly awaiting the big announcement. Originally the club had hoped to have a new man installed a week ago. Even though there has been a considerable delay Goater fully expects Coppell to take control at the Mad Stad.

Speaking to the Royal Gazette, Goater revealed: "It is no secret that Steve, has been interviewed for the job at Reading and has been thinking it over. It would be a major surprise to me if we were called down to the ground and they unveiled someone different."

It seems that the fans frustrations at the amount of time the appointment has taken is echoed by the players. Reading have lost four, drawn one and won one since Pardew left the club, an abysmal record for a club supposedly after promotion.

Goater, a summer signing from Manchester City is hoping that the situation isn't going to drag on any longer.

"The whole situation seems to have taken an eternity," he added.

"As players you need some direction, and that is true at any firm or company, you need a leader."

Despite previously insisting that the new manger would be in place for last Saturday's home game against Bradford, Coppell may not be placed in charge of the Royals in time for next Tuesday's game at home to Gillingham.

The complications surrounding the proposed appointment are reported to have continued and it is believed that Reading will unveil their new manager on Friday at the very earliest.

Meanwhile, Brighton & Hove Albion, who may soon have to embark on their own manager search, have denied they are interested in appointing Walsall man Paul Merson as their player-manager should Coppell pack his bags for Reading.

It is alleged that the former Arsenal & Middlesborough centre-forward is the Seagulls preferred candidate for the role. However, in a statement today the Withdean Stadium side were remaining tight-lipped.

"With the amount of speculation going on at the moment, the chairman may have someone in mind," said a club spokesman.

"But, our situation remains the same as it was. Steve Coppell is still our manager and it would be inappropriate to comment while this is the case. It would be wrong to jump the gun."

Reading MAD will of course keep you up to date with all the latest developments.

Why not discuss the debacle on the Reading MAD messageboard?

Sully's Moustache said:
Speaking to the Royal Gazette, Goater revealed: "It is no secret that Steve, has been interviewed for the job at Reading and has been thinking it over.

The arrogance! I think he would find that Coppell is the one who is still in doubt. Reading thinking it over! pah!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Surely were all getting to the stay of saying , OY COPPELL NO !.

If I were DK I would be getting very tempted to tell him to feck off !.

He knows in his own minds and surely knew Saturday evening whether he wanted to stay with the Albion. It looks that all these delays are just for him to get the best deal possible for himself with Reading with no regard for Brighton, the fans and Dick Knight.

If this is the case he will be my no 1 hated figure , if he stays I will post an apology but either way I think they way he has dealt with this is becoming appaling and I am tempted to tell him to bugger off even if he is STILL undecided !.:angry:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
He bloody shouldn't have sat in the dugout last saturday let alone this. While this is up in the air he should keep away. If he stays then he should come back then if not don't come back at all

sherriffbart

Sep 24, 2003
If it is not sorted out and he goes to the match on saturday, I for one will be giving him a very loud boooooo!

CHRISSY CATTLIN'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY

ALWAYS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE
THE ONLY GENUINE MANAGER WE HAVE EVER HAD WHO LOVED THE CLUB SO MUCH HE WOULDN'T TAKE ANOTHER JOB IN THE GAME AFTER BEING SHAFTED BY LLOYD

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
"But, our situation remains the same as it was. Steve Coppell is still our manager and it would be inappropriate to comment while this is the case. It would be wrong to jump the gun."

:clap: :clap:

Sanest quote I've seen all week :p

Agree with Redland.

Someone mentioned booing - I don't think it's a good idea until we know what's happening. And he SHOULD be in the dugout whilst he is still BHAFC's manager. We should give him the same support we did on Saturday.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I would imagine we have out a Friday deadline on this, and if SC is really still umming and arring, I think Madjeski's patience will run out soon.

Can anyone confirm or deny my growing suspicion that Coppell WAS our original choice to take over from PT, but he took so long over making a decision himself that DK eventually lost his rag and went for MH instead, as he couldn't wait for Coppell any longer.

SiNZ

Oct 2, 2003
BrightonBird said:
Agree with Redland.

Someone mentioned booing - I don't think it's a good idea until we know what's happening. And he SHOULD be in the dugout whilst he is still BHAFC's manager. We should give him the same support we did on Saturday.

Absolutely agree.

The longer this goes on, the more painful it is for us, but I agree with the previously expressed view that it is a good sign. If SC was going to take it, he would surely have done so already.

Tomorrow seems to me to be the key day....... will be clenched over my keyboard waiting for updates on the official sites.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
sherriffbart said:
If it is not sorted out and he goes to the match on saturday, I for one will be giving him a very loud boooooo!

CHRISSY CATTLIN'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY

ALWAYS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE
THE ONLY GENUINE MANAGER WE HAVE EVER HAD WHO LOVED THE CLUB SO MUCH HE WOULDN'T TAKE ANOTHER JOB IN THE GAME AFTER BEING SHAFTED BY LLOYD

The Rushden & Diamond programme had a full page article on their day in Brighton when we played them in the FA Cup. It's all about being relieved of £50.00 for rock and hearing a 1/2 hour talk about the tactics and players of the Albion from a man in a loud track suit and equally loud shoes who turned out to Chris Cattlin in his seafront rock shop.

A legend who was treated in a disgraceful way by a previous board

Anyone else on here go on the poorly attended protest march about how he was treated?

cosmic cowboy

Oct 8, 2003
Kemp Town
Reading have upped their offer after learning that their original offer matched what he is getting paid at the Albion. SC unimpressed by original offer. Possibility that DK is now matching Reading's improved offer...

If he stays he'll be a hero.

I want him to stay.

I want him to say he wants to stay.

This can't go on much longer can it.

here's hoping for an announcement of SOMETHING by ANYONE by Thursday....................

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
tinx said:
He bloody shouldn't have sat in the dugout last saturday let alone this. While this is up in the air he should keep away.

If we get to win 3-0 every week he can sit cross-legged in the centre circle reading the Crystal Palace yearbook for all I care.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I heard and believed it is us (the club) that is holding stuff up by insisting that Madjeski pays us more compensation.

Reading got a shed load of compensation from West Ham and we are trying to get our fair share. Coppout is in contract and we need compensation for that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:
I heard and believed it is us (the club) that is holding stuff up by insisting that Madjeski pays us more compensation.

Reading got a shed load of compensation from West Ham and we are trying to get our fair share. Coppout is in contract and we need compensation for that.

Seems likely but why is DK constantly quoted as telling SC to make up his mind then? From the above it would seem that it is DK causing the delay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here