Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freeview+ advice...?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
We're thinking of moving from Sky to Freeview because we want the + feature (record whole series in one go etc etc), but think Sky+ is too costly (box, set-up, monthly fee...).

So I've tried to work out what I need to buy as a one-off cost to set up Freeview+ TV, but the choice/range is totally overwhelming and I can't work out what I need and how much I should look to spend.

Has anyone got Freeview+, or can give me some simple advice?

Thanks.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
We're thinking of moving from Sky to Freeview because we want the + feature (record whole series in one go etc etc), but think Sky+ is too costly (box, set-up, monthly fee...).

So I've tried to work out what I need to buy as a one-off cost to set up Freeview+ TV, but the choice/range is totally overwhelming and I can't work out what I need and how much I should look to spend.

Has anyone got Freeview+, or can give me some simple advice?

Thanks.
Yeah make sure you can actualy recieve it, my mum lives in Patcham off Mackie Ave and cant get it as she is too low for whitehawk and the patcham transmiter hasnt swithed on yet, this all being made clear after i brought her a plus freeview box

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Had mine for about three years. Best thing I ever bought. Ironoically though it probably means I watch less tv, as instead of wating in for a programme I'll record it and then do something else. Will then watch all the good stuff in one evening.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Humax make great kit. Job done. Thread closed.

What are the chances that's the same width as a PS3, namely 32cms?

scooter1

How soon is now?
Yeah make sure you can actualy recieve it, my mum lives in Patcham off Mackie Ave and cant get it as she is too low for whitehawk and the patcham transmiter hasnt swithed on yet, this all being made clear after i brought her a plus freeview box

This is vital. We bought a + box a couple of years ago, moved house and now its basically used as a clock as we can't get a decent reception on it

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
This is vital. We bought a + box a couple of years ago, moved house and now its basically used as a clock as we can't get a decent reception on it

Yikes. How do I check?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well there's good news and bad news...

You should be able to receive some Freeview channels now, but based on the current information we have it looks like you'll lose them when your region switches to digital in 2012. Find out more about the digital switchover at digitaluk.co.uk.

All you need is a rooftop aerial in good condition and a digital box or TV to get Freeview now.

See which channels are available from the list below.

What a load of bollox, btw the above is for anyone off the Whitehawk Transmiter, what tdoes that mean youll lose them?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Isn't Sky + pretty much free especially if you phone up and say you are going to cancel?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Well there's good news and bad news...

You should be able to receive some Freeview channels now, but based on the current information we have it looks like you'll lose them when your region switches to digital in 2012. Find out more about the digital switchover at digitaluk.co.uk.

All you need is a rooftop aerial in good condition and a digital box or TV to get Freeview now.

See which channels are available from the list below.

What a load of bollox, btw the above is for anyone off the Whitehawk Transmiter, what tdoes that mean youll lose them?

Can you provide the exact link to that statement??

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
You can get a reconditioned freeview+ box from Top Up Tv for £50. 12 month guarantee.

Top Up TV | Freeview + boxes from Top Up TV

But does anyone know if you can use the freeview+ box with a telly that has built in freeview?

Cheers.

Yep. Just runs as a seperate product like your DVD player etc Worth giving it its own scart socket rather than running through a splitter

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
BT Vision was the way for me.

recordable twin tuner, freeview and films etc on demand. Cost us £30 (though it may be £45 now) plus we have to get our broadband from them which was a cost we would incur anyhow. Works well for me.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Isn't Sky + pretty much free especially if you phone up and say you are going to cancel?

They might offer you a half price deal for 3 months depending on what package you are on. :thumbsup:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
By the way when HD channels appear on Freeview you will need a new box to pick them up as the current boxes and IDTV's wont tune them in , if you are happy with what you are getting now dont bother upgrading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here