Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free commentary available tonight.

Well not free, actually, because the BBC have paid part of your licence fee to LCFC for the privilege, and the club allows it to be broadcast to all. Contrast this to the Albion, who then make additional money off their exiled supporters by restricting it to PremiumTV, who in turn rip off fans by charging them about a third of the entire BBC licence fee.
Click here, and do not be put off if it says This service is unavailable at this time.

iPlayer Radio Console

Sorry, they have just announced it's been restricted. This did NOT happen for the Radio Leicester coverage from Withdean.

Last edited:

Well not free, actually, because the BBC have paid part of your licence fee to LCFC for the privilege, and the club allows it to be broadcast to all. Contrast this to the Albion, who then make additional money off their exiled supporters by restricting it to PremiumTV, who in turn rip off fans by charging them about a third of the entire BBC licence fee.
Click here, and do not be put off if it says This service is unavailable at this time.

iPlayer Radio Console

many thanx for this was thinking i would have to get the extra long aerial out for this one from staffs:drink:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Doesn't work in the States unfortunately

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

iPlayer Radio Console

Sorry, they have just announced it's been restricted. This did NOT happen for the Radio Leicester coverage from Withdean.

You seem a bit confused again about football rights.

Local radio was traditionally that, and the BBC have never guarenteed that they would 1) broadcast it around the world or 2) broadcast it outside of the local area.

It's only since the internet that the football league has wised up to the worth of it and now only allow the broadcasters in, if they retain the rights and sell it on themselves over the net - "outside" the local area.

So nothings actually changed. Prior to the internet it was technically impossible for you to hear the commentary, and now that it technically is... you still can't hear it.

Now it's lovely that most BBC Radio can be heard overseas via the internet, but do you also have a problem with the fact that Johnny Foreigner gets if for nothing ?

As for the BBC restricting output, again it's all down to rights. For sporting events they don't own them and are not allowed to stream them abroad.

So as for is this "I've paid my licence fee to hear it...", well you've paid for licence fee to hear local radio in the local area. The fact that you can now hear it mostly anywhere - is actually something of a bonus.

You seem a bit confused again about football rights.

Local radio was traditionally that, and the BBC have never guarenteed that they would 1) broadcast it around the world or 2) broadcast it outside of the local area.

Thanks for taking the trouble to post that CG, but I am not convinced. I'll post a full reply later, but for now can I just say I have never advocated that these broadcasts should be free outside the UK, whether for "Johnny Foreigner" or for ex-pats. Were I one, I would be happy to pay for such a service (if it was provided more professionally) as such a link would obviously be so much more desirable to an overseas exile living in a degree of isolation. I might add that I am not the sort of person who expects to get something for nothing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks for taking the trouble to post that CG, but I am not convinced. I'll post a full reply later, but for now can I just say I have never advocated that these broadcasts should be free outside the UK, whether for "Johnny Foreigner" or for ex-pats. Were I one, I would be happy to pay for such a service (if it was provided more professionally) as such a link would obviously be so much more desirable to an overseas exile living in a degree of isolation. I might add that I am not the sort of person who expects to get something for nothing.

Wasn't meant as a pop - Just the reality of it.

Not sure what you're not convinced by, the league simply don't allow radio stations to broadcast it outside of the area.

I'm almost 100% convinced that the fact that the commentary was available before was a mistake. What the licence fee is paying for, is a local commentary in the local area. Quite simply nothing more is on offer to them.

As for something for nothing, well PremiumTV technically do with the commentary !

Not sure who you are pissed off with ? It's definitely not the fault of the BBC.

The bottom line is they don't own the rights, the football league do.

The same with any photograph you take of the game believe or not.

You aren't even allowed to post the league table on here technically either., because the football league own the rights to the current league positions ! (I'm not joking....)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here