Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FREE AVG - any good?

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
It's pretty good value and does a job, considering you aren't paying for it.

But at the same time it's all too easy to pirate a pro distribution of one of the more major packages like NOD32

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
ive got macafee currently but its acting up so they said i can have a refund - then someone recommended this AVG so i have installed it - bit wanna check its cushty before i canx my macafee thing!!

Ice Man

Jan 5, 2006
It's very good, quick, user friendly, and FREE! :clap2:

Much better than the Norton/McAfee crap.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Yes, I've used it for a couple of years now. It's great. Although I needed technical help once, and had to ask for it on a bulletin board in German. That's a small price to pay for it being free, though.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
me free AGV has started asking me to re-start the computer after every download. Anyone else get this? Anyone else know how to remedy it?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I use Avast. Also free and also very good.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
cheers guys - i think i will email mcafee back and tell them to stick their £40 package and use AVG - if my pc goes tits i will be bouncing this thread!! (on another computer of course as mine will be f***ed!!!:lolol: )

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
I've used it since the network guys at our corporate site said they used it on their home PC's. What I like is the fact that it just updates with the latest amendments without me having to do anything, and as it has updates most days I am presuming that they are keeping up with all the latest stuff that's polluting our PC's.

For Stinky Kat: I think the problem you're having was the only I've had with AVG (about a year ago) and it was really annoying. I asked AVG for tech help but I can't find their reply now. From memory I think I had to reset a registry value in the AVG section and that fixed it, but best to do what I did as they were quite quick to reply even though I'm not paying for the product.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here