Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Franz Sandaza

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
He is Flllllaaaaaair!!!!!!

horsehead.jpg

:albion1:

Sep 1, 2010
My friend has just got back to me and said that he is a little injury prone and that he can go missing in the not 'Big' games. But he also said he was very unlucky with the injuries and on his day can terrorize defences

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
He sounds great. Only concern is the diving that was mention-we really don't need another player doing that.
I wonder if the one year deal maybe partly his doing- if other clubs were intrested could he be hoping that if he does well he might be able to move up a league (presuming we don't get promoted)?

Sep 1, 2010
I think whatever these newbies are used to, they will be fitter and sharper under Poyet and will only improve, and i am sure Poyet not have anone slacking. My friend has seen him play twice, once against Celtic and he said he was fabulous, the other game he was not even noticed but suffered with a hernia at he time i think he said

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
1 year deals are perfect for us at the moment because we don't want to get lumbered with players who don't work out draining our budget but if they do work out & we are successful this season then we can extend fairly easily with the added attraction of Falmer & an increased budget. Players who come here now will not take too much persuasion to stay next season whether we go up or not because the club will be a much better proposition next season with Falmer.
This looks like a pretty good signing with Swansea being after him too, it looks as if Gus would have been instrumental in him coming here & I for one am really looking forward to the future, having supported Brighton since 1975, I can't think of a more exciting time, other than getting promoted to Div 1 & the season previous to that after just missing out due to Tottenham & The South Coast Club carving the cake to leave us out. We were on the rise then & I truly believe we are on the rise again.
Viva Las Gaviotas!

FTD83

Sheded out my nut
Sep 1, 2010
Hi folks, I'm a United fan so thought I'd register here to tell you a wee bit about "The Sandman". We signed him in the summer of 2008 and our manager at the time said he would get 20 goals in the SPL without any problem. He didn't get a proper pre-season with us because of the difference in the times that the Spanish and Scottish seasons start so he was behind in fitness from the off. He made his debut against Celtic as a sub and scored a late equaliser - somebody has already posted the clip on this thread.

During his first season he was in and out of the team mostly due to lots of niggly injuries - this was put down to the fact he hadn't had a proper pre-season and him not being familiar with the hurly burly of the SPL. Still, when he did play he was a class act. He got 10 goals from something like 25 starts, not too shabby.

Last season was a right-off. He had a hernia injury which was apparenly mis-diagnosed in the summer so yet again he missed pre-season. We were told he'd be out for 3 months, which then turned into 6 months... Throughout this time there were lots of rumours coming out the club that he was a chancer and wasn't making a proper effort to get back to fitness etc. Anyway, he eventually made his comeback making a few sub appearances around March, he looked overweight and well off the pace of the game. He scored a very good goal against Hibs a few weeks later and it finally looked like he was back.

He started a game a couple of weeks later and went off with a hamstring injury after about 20 minutes and didn't play again that season.

He got himself back to fitness over the summer, then in a pre-season game at Livingston he tried to back-heal a ball that was going out of play and went down injured again! I wasn't at the game but my mate was and hes said it looked like there was nothing wrong with him!!! He walked back to the bench without limping or anything. He was out for a couple of more weeks and when he did come back he wasn't included in the 1st team for a couple of friendlies - I'm not sure if by that point our manager just had had enough of him.

We annouced a few weeks back that he would be available for transfer and we wouldn't be hard to deal with. He went to Swanses for a trial and it looked like they wanted to sign him. The deal fell through at the last minute as apparently they wanted him on loan and we wanted rid of him (maybe they had doubts about his fitness long-term?)

If you can get him fit and keep him fit then he will be a fantastic player for you... He's a fantastic finisher - he's quite tall but not a target man - he likes the ball into feet where he can roll defenders and is very good at linking up play.

All the best to Fran, I really hope he can go on and get his career on track, he could have bee a great player for us but it just didn't happen. I'll be watching him with interest down there.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If he is a chancer/waster he won't last long with Gus Poyet, see the long list of players that left over the summer.

Good update then, just seems he needs to be in a place he wants to be and kept injury free? The hernia thing scares me though, mis-diagnosing one, what club would do that in this day and age :laugh: :facepalm:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Hi folks, I'm a United fan so thought I'd register here to tell you a wee bit about "The Sandman". We signed him in the summer of 2008 and our manager at the time said he would get 20 goals in the SPL without any problem. He didn't get a proper pre-season with us because of the difference in the times that the Spanish and Scottish seasons start so he was behind in fitness from the off. He made his debut against Celtic as a sub and scored a late equaliser - somebody has already posted the clip on this thread.

During his first season he was in and out of the team mostly due to lots of niggly injuries - this was put down to the fact he hadn't had a proper pre-season and him not being familiar with the hurly burly of the SPL. Still, when he did play he was a class act. He got 10 goals from something like 25 starts, not too shabby.

Last season was a right-off. He had a hernia injury which was apparenly mis-diagnosed in the summer so yet again he missed pre-season. We were told he'd be out for 3 months, which then turned into 6 months... Throughout this time there were lots of rumours coming out the club that he was a chancer and wasn't making a proper effort to get back to fitness etc. Anyway, he eventually made his comeback making a few sub appearances around March, he looked overweight and well off the pace of the game. He scored a very good goal against Hibs a few weeks later and it finally looked like he was back.

He started a game a couple of weeks later and went off with a hamstring injury after about 20 minutes and didn't play again that season.

He got himself back to fitness over the summer, then in a pre-season game at Livingston he tried to back-heal a ball that was going out of play and went down injured again! I wasn't at the game but my mate was and hes said it looked like there was nothing wrong with him!!! He walked back to the bench without limping or anything. He was out for a couple of more weeks and when he did come back he wasn't included in the 1st team for a couple of friendlies - I'm not sure if by that point our manager just had had enough of him.

We annouced a few weeks back that he would be available for transfer and we wouldn't be hard to deal with. He went to Swanses for a trial and it looked like they wanted to sign him. The deal fell through at the last minute as apparently they wanted him on loan and we wanted rid of him (maybe they had doubts about his fitness long-term?)

If you can get him fit and keep him fit then he will be a fantastic player for you... He's a fantastic finisher - he's quite tall but not a target man - he likes the ball into feet where he can roll defenders and is very good at linking up play.

All the best to Fran, I really hope he can go on and get his career on track, he could have bee a great player for us but it just didn't happen. I'll be watching him with interest down there.

cheers for the info mate, not another kitson i hope

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
Sat next to him last night at the match. speaks good english and was happy to sign my boys programme and chat. Asked him how he likes to play as a forward. said he wants the ball over the top or thru to him and he will score ! doesn't like balls up to him with his back to goal as hes not a big brute of a forward.

told him that when he scores his first goal to come over to K block and celebrate, his agent said 'GUS WILL GET A CELEBRATION FIRST'. ok, second goal then, he replied 'your on mate'.
Hes fit and ready to play and hopes to play against MK Dons next week.

can i just say that i'm not gay but he did look very stylish and had a nice aftershave on!

FTD83

Sheded out my nut
Sep 1, 2010
If he is a chancer/waster he won't last long with Gus Poyet, see the long list of players that left over the summer.

Good update then, just seems he needs to be in a place he wants to be and kept injury free? The hernia thing scares me though, mis-diagnosing one, what club would do that in this day and age :laugh: :facepalm:

It wasn't the club, it was a doctor he went to see in Spain. He eventually went to Real Madrid to sort his injury problems out.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It wasn't the club, it was a doctor he went to see in Spain. He eventually went to Real Madrid to sort his injury problems out.

Only saying that as our striker Glenn Murray missed most of a season as our club doctor missed a hernia and mis-diagnosed what turned into a double hernia, or something similar :facepalm:

FTD83

Sheded out my nut
Sep 1, 2010
Only saying that as our striker Glenn Murray missed most of a season as our club doctor missed a hernia and mis-diagnosed what turned into a double hernia, or something similar :facepalm:

Ah right, well you better hope your doctor doesn't get a visit from Fran any time soon :laugh:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I also heard that Swansea really wanted him but were only looking for a loan. They saw him as an off the bench player. No mention of his injury proneness being an issue. Sounds promising.

Only a one year contract? Might be to do with the injury issue but more likely to be the club being able to secure a player from a higher level in return for putting him in the shop window by giving him regular games perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Sounds to me like the closest thing to a 20 goal a season man we were realistically going to bring in. Certainly has the potential to rip this league apart I imagine and had interest from Championship clubs. The fact Brighton is now practically a Spanish speaking club obviously helped make his mind up, he'll get fit, bang them in and then we will struggle to keep hold of him as Championship clubs start sniffing around.

That's the hope anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here