Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Frankie Valli, Brian Wilson, legends and other “museum acts”

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I thought of another one I saw a while back who were amazing - The Who. I saw them at Sheffield Arena I think in the mid 2000’s. I’d never really been a fan or anything, their music was long before my time and my parents never listened to it. I thought it would be just fuddy-duddies - I had them equated in my mind to being like Status Quo.

I was completely wrong, they blew me away and were one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. They absolutely gave it socks and were having a blast
I saw the Who a few times through the 2010s (I was a BIG FAN around the time I was at uni) and they were always good. Back then you could get decent tickets for somewhere around the £60-£80 mark rather than the minimum £100ish it's gone up to in the last few years as well.

I haven't been since because a) I've seen them enough times that paying that amount just doesn't seem worth it, and b) at some point I'd think "ah, this probably was a tour too far" and I don't really want to be there for that.

Normally a decent mix of ages in the crowd as well, obviously not full of teenagers or anything, but compared to crowds when I've seen Deep Purple (I think the only other big '60s band I've seen) where a woman once straight up said to me "you seem too young for this" there was clearly some sort of appeal down the across generations.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saw Kim Gordon at Glastonbury this year, an amazing performance from one the key components of my favourite all time artists (Sonic Youth), modern music, performed impeccably and across the whole weekend, probably the most interesting, modern, experimental and new sounding music I heard from any artist. She's 71.

Kim Gordon is 71!!!!

Man. Do I feel old.

alanfp

Feb 23, 2024
I've seen Paul Carrack in 2023 (aged 72)

and James Taylor in 2018 (aged 70) - very rare that he comes to Britain.

Both performed brilliantly - pure class, both with a very varied repertoire (largely self-penned).

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I saw the Who a few times through the 2010s (I was a BIG FAN around the time I was at uni) and they were always good. Back then you could get decent tickets for somewhere around the £60-£80 mark rather than the minimum £100ish it's gone up to in the last few years as well.

I haven't been since because a) I've seen them enough times that paying that amount just doesn't seem worth it, and b) at some point I'd think "ah, this probably was a tour too far" and I don't really want to be there for that.

Normally a decent mix of ages in the crowd as well, obviously not full of teenagers or anything, but compared to crowds when I've seen Deep Purple (I think the only other big '60s band I've seen) where a woman once straight up said to me "you seem too young for this" there was clearly some sort of appeal down the across generations.
Same, I wouldn’t go back at this stage.

I got to thinking of all the legendary artists I’ve ever seen actually;

Michael Jackson “Dangerous” tour. (Wembley 1992) - I was 6.
Madonna (3 tours)
Elton John (2 concerts)
Billy Joel
The Who
Oasis

My ex-girlfriend’s Dad once saw The Jackson 5 in a working men’s club near Featherstone when they were starting out! The only band I remember off the top of my head seeing before they got big were Keane at The Pressure Point (is that still there?). Saw David Gray at The Bedford in Balham.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
These guys still have it too, Blunstone and Argent are both 79

I don't know why but both single and album fell under the radar in the UK but not the US maybe because the group had split up when they were released? The album sounds as good today as it did then.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Dylan at Brixton (few of his greatest - and I don't mean just famous - songs, he has a shed load,probably more than any artist. And those few he did play were in unrecognisable form. I knew this before I went though and it was still worth it due to the small capacity show).

I don't mind if the show lacks a bit of qulaity (and they have back up vocalists) if there is chit chat and banter from the artist. Van Morrison and Dylan were miserable as feck and didn't say a word to the audience.
Same experience with Dylan in Singapore in 2012. Awful and unrecognisable, yes, and not a word, yes. Thankfully, I'd been warned what it would be like.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Same experience with Dylan in Singapore in 2012. Awful and unrecognisable, yes, and not a word, yes. Thankfully, I'd been warned what it would be like.
I saw Dylan at Glastonbury in 1998. He mumbled a lot and spent a lot of time facing away from the crowd.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Come on, Bob Dylan has never been one for audience communication between songs , and he does not work the crowd..With him you go along and listen , it’s the music that counts.
He is going strong at 83 , and will be in Britain in November. I would love to be able to go.
The sound quality can vary at some poor venues.. not his diction. I last saw him just a few year’s back at Cardiff and he was bang on form .

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Saw Kim Gordon at Glastonbury this year, an amazing performance from one the key components of my favourite all time artists (Sonic Youth), modern music, performed impeccably and across the whole weekend, probably the most interesting, modern, experimental and new sounding music I heard from any artist. She's 71.

I saw her at Koko in Camden in June and she was amazing as is her latest album.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Come on, Bob Dylan has never been one for audience communication between songs , and he does not work the crowd..With him you go along and listen , it’s the music that counts.

The sound quality can vary at some poor venues.. not his diction.
OK, I'll 'come on' at the last bit in particular because it's just not true as is well known by Dylan fans and in the business. I saw him at a top venue in Singapore with John Legend and others all fine but Dylan's songs unrecognisable. Very many others have had similar experiences .. and that was over 12 years ago. Others have got lucky, but it was very hit and miss even then.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
OK, I'll 'come on' at the last bit in particular because it's just not true as is well known by Dylan fans and in the business. I saw him at a top venue in Singapore with John Legend and others all fine but Dylan's songs unrecognisable. Very many others have had similar experiences .. and that was over 12 years ago. Others have got lucky, but it was very hit and miss even then.
I have seen Dylan 3 times and it was exactly the same experience for me. The first two gigs I couldn't work out what he was playing apart from like a rolling stone which he did as an encore at one of the gigs and was brilliant. I just thought if I could watch him play a whole gig of songs like that it would be amazing. So when I heard he was playing an intimate gig at the Camden Roundhouse I got my hopes up, I figured that the gig must be for nostalgic reason and Dylan would be on top form. Unfortunately it was even worse than the others, he played a set of unrecognisable songs with his back to the audience, seemed disinterested and got off after playing for barely an hour. It was at the point I realised that although his music is great Dylan is a pretentious twat!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Best legends gigs I've been to were:
Macca at the Camden Roundhouse in 2007, I was down the front and will never forget the experience of being a few feet away from him when he played let it be on the piano. A magical experience for a huge Beatles fan!
Cream at the Royal Albert Hall in 2005, Creams first gig since their farewell concert at the same venue in 1968. The gig was great but the main thing was the excitement and nostalgia of seeing them back together after 36 years. I was also extremely lucky to get a ticket as they were like gold dust at the time.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I would never watch one of my old favourite if they were lip synching. I can think of a florid analogy to explain why, but best not share it....

As for old faves who are losing their powers.....I have been a fan of Caravan since around 1972, having seen them live for the first time more than 50 years ago. I have seen them live on and off over the years, culminating with numerous shows when thy had Dougie Boyle on guitar, and were quite magnificent, in the 90s and early noughties.

But Pye Hastings' voice was never strong, and the last time I saw them, at King's School in Canterbury, about 8 years ago, with no Dougie Boyle, Pye doing all the guitar, a couple of years after the wonderful Richard Coughlan (the drummer) had died, replaced by someone whose style I disliked, and no Dave Sinclair on keyboards (Jan Schelhass is OK, but...) . . . . . there was an interval half way and I left. The magic had gone.
I think we've discussed this before . . . 2005 with RC, 'Ove. great, except I was always frustrated by the fat mattress bass player . . . LAzy IMO. a few very average gigs, gave up, then Oct 22 back in 'Ove . . . . And a new Bass player, who not only listened to the records and channeled his inner RC, did some of the vocals too . . . Great gig.

Pye is an old man and his voice isn't so strong, but he was still superb, in tune and on time, whilst playing guitar as well. . . . . Far better than many of his squillionaire stadium filling contemporaries.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think we've discussed this before . . . 2005 with RC, 'Ove. great, except I was always frustrated by the fat mattress bass player . . . LAzy IMO. a few very average gigs, gave up, then Oct 22 back in 'Ove . . . . And a new Bass player, who not only listened to the records and channeled his inner RC, did some of the vocals too . . . Great gig.

Pye is an old man and his voice isn't so strong, but he was still superb, in tune and on time, whilst playing guitar as well. . . . . Far better than many of his squillionaire stadium filling contemporaries.
Jim Leverton.

Well, he is no Richard Sinclair, nor even John G Perry, but I liked him. I liked his singing.

The new boy, Lee Pomeroy, sounds promising. Perhaps I will re-engage.

Poor old Jim. Lives in a Caravan (I shit you not) near here.

This is lovely. Great backing vocals by Pye. And flute by Jimmy.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
JImmy passed away earlier this year. Limits is bliss. Short but oh so sweet.

Jim, yes, a good bass player, but the few times I saw Caravan he just wasn't fully engaged . . . No harm done.

If I relied on a bass income, I'd be in a caravan as well. . . . It could be worse!

oxgull

Oct 2, 2023
Elton John (2022) and Billy ocean (2016/22).
Both surprisingly good given their ages, but Billy Ocean in particular looked like he was having a great time and despite being a bit less mobile was having a right old boogie

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Same, saw him at Earl’s Court in the late 70s and he was terrible. Sounded like he wanted to join the Punk revolution, loud and shit (to my ears given what I was expecting to hear) and I didn’t have a clue what songs he was playing most of the time, the ones I did recognise were almost unrecognisable in how he played them.

I also saw Van Morrison in Brighton late 70’s, early 80s. Played for 45 mins with zero interaction with the crowd. Surly fucker

Saw Chris Farlowe, Mike D’Abo (I think!) and Colin Blunstone in Worthing in a 60’s revival at Worthing Town Hall, and that was bloody brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here