Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Frankie Valli, Brian Wilson, legends and other “museum acts”

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I saw Ginger Baker at the Borderline in London in 2016. May have been his last full gig, I think the rest of the tour got canned for health reasons.

Sounded good when he was playing, but after a couple of songs he had to take a break and was led off stage, before returning. Pretty much had to take a break between each song after that. I'd seen him a few years before (2012,13 maybe) and at that point he had been able to get through the set well enough.

Just checked and the ticket was £25, which is just about at the top end of the range where if a gig turns out to be a total mess I think it's all part of the experience rather than a rip off.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I thought of another one I saw a while back who were amazing - The Who. I saw them at Sheffield Arena I think in the mid 2000’s. I’d never really been a fan or anything, their music was long before my time and my parents never listened to it. I thought it would be just fuddy-duddies - I had them equated in my mind to being like Status Quo.

I was completely wrong, they blew me away and were one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to. They absolutely gave it socks and were having a blast

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Saw Mavis Staples about 8 years ago. Her voice was obviously different to the phenomenal talent of her youth, so she belted out a deep bluesy end and had a guy that pulled the high stuff. Worked well.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Sadly Rod Argent had a stroke not so long ago and has given up touring. The Zombies were amazing live.
Blimey, I was only thinking how good he looked for his age whilst watching that video which I think was shot about a month before his stroke from a quick Google :down:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I think it’s a bit much though to be charging £75 a pop for no actual live singing from the star, such as in Valli’s case. It’s as cynical a cash grab as many consider Oasis’s reunion pricing.
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing about non-signing. That's shocking.

I think it's reasonable that older artists get some technical help though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've seen Brian Wilson twice, at Preston Park I thought he actually engaged with the audience pretty well but it was not a great night for his vocals. The band were so good, it was a great night anyway. I also saw him at Hammersmith Odeon, Brian was being led through every aspect of the show but he sang a lot more than the Preston Park gig and was fantastic, although I doubt he knew too much about it.

When you go and see acts like this you are going to see a legend, all be it for a nostalgic reason, see them one last time or grabbing the last opportunity to see them for the first time. I'm not expecting perfection, it's the emotional hit I am looking for and I rarely regret it.

Or you could go and see The Stones who amazingly still have it. Simply phenomenal.
This. Jagger puts most front men/women to shame with his on stage movement and crowd engagement. It's nothing short of astonishing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is absolutely true, and it of course depends on the act and what they’re actually doing on stage. I don’t think many people begrudge Britney Spears largely miming her way through a Vegas gig, because the dance choreography is so heavy all you’d hear most the time is heavy breathing.

I think it’s a bit much though to be charging £75 a pop for no actual live singing from the star, such as in Valli’s case. It’s as cynical a cash grab as many consider Oasis’s reunion pricing.
I'd pay good money for this.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I saw Roxy Music a couple of years back and although Bryan Ferry’s voice isn’t perfect anymore there was certainly no lip syncing and they were brilliant.

Led Zeppelin at the O2 wasn’t bad either.
Percy can still belt out a note or two. Oddly played Worthing the night lockdown was lifted. Dave Gilmour gate crashed Romany's gig in Hove last night.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Are you actually lumping genius Brian Wilson in with Frankie f#cking Valli? That's like putting John Steinbeck and Barbara Cartland together because they have both written books. Steinbeck pales into insignificance when contrasted with Babs.
Yeah, but how many PIZZAS has Brian Wilson invented, eh?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Saw Brian Wilson in 2002 and he just about had the strength of vocals to still sound good. Loved the concert.
Saw him again with the Beach Boys in 2012 and there was a lot of deterioration.
Had tickets for 2020 but COVID meant it was postponed.. he's still apparfently coming back but i got refunded instead as I'm sure his voice is shot now, although it's amazing he can get anything in tune out at all given his renowned deafness.

Likewise Paul McCartney. In 2003 he still sounded good but his voice has totally gone now.

Saw Brian Wilson in 2002 and he just about had the strength of vocals to still sound good. Loved the concert.
Saw him again with the Beach Boys in 2012 and there was a lot of deterioration.
Had tickets for 2020 but COVID meant it was postponed.. he's still apparfently coming back but i got refunded instead as I'm sure his voice is shot now, although it's amazing he can get anything in tune out at all given his renowned deafness.

Likewise Paul McCartney. In 2003 he still sounded good but his voice has totally gone now.

Have tickets to see Van the Man in a few weeks time at the Dome. His performances seem to vary according to his mood.

Saw Richard Thompson perform at the Rye Jazz festival just prior to Covid. Venue was St Mary's Church, we were in the pews close to him. Awesome acoustic player and have seen him being awesome awesome playing electric.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

The video is sad, in the same way watching any Bruce Willis movie post 2017 (?) is sad. The artist is still working when they shouldn't be and are probably being manipulated by family/hangers on only to get extra money. Lacks dignity.

I've seen many of my heroes from the '60s and 70s era of music, thankfully before their star has faded too much.

Only three artists I've seen mostly motivated by "I've got to see this genius before he passes, regardless of quality".

Brian Wilson at the RFH on his first Smile tour in 2004 (a joyous celebration).
Van Morrison at the Dome (musically very competent but dull as dishwater nowadays, including setlist, but still worth it).
Dylan at Brixton (few of his greatest - and I don't mean just famous - songs, he has a shed load,probably more than any artist. And those few he did play were in unrecognisable form. I knew this before I went though and it was still worth it due to the small capacity show).

I don't mind if the show lacks a bit of qulaity (and they have back up vocalists) if there is chit chat and banter from the artist. Van Morrison and Dylan were miserable as feck and didn't say a word to the audience.

The only artist I would probably still see whatever age is Neil Young.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here