Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Frank Worthington RIP

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great memories albeit brief ones of Frank at the Goldstone. Felt like an old master at 36 in midfield....

One of the games characters, RIP

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I was very lucky to see him play for us at the Goldstone in my first proper season watching the Albion. I was in awe of him as a 10yr old boy. Amazing player.

RIP Frank.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Magician , just brilliant

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Was sitting in the West Stand and listening to a group behind me all slagging off Frank. " Lazy you know what "...." Come here to retire "...." Waste of money " etc. I turned and said to them that he had more ability in his big toe than the rest put together ( bit harsh, I know....but they were peeing me off ) and I got a few leery replies. A few minutes later, an Albion player crossed deep from the left wing. Frank, cleverly, dropped off his marker. He was on the far corner of the box. He took the ball down, off his chest, knocked it up with one thigh and volleyed it with the other foot. It screamed goalwards but dipped a fraction too late, hit angle of post and bar and went over. It was truly breathtaking and would have been a wonderful goal. I turned to the dissidents and said....." He's been doing that sort of stuff his whole career "
Of all the artists, the ' flair ' players I have watched since the 60's, he is up there in the rarified air of best two, running my all time favourite Besty, a close second ( imagine those two having a night on the town!!! ) He had a style, a panache about him, that overcame heavy, muddy pitches and ruthless tackling. You really had to watch him to appreciate how naturally gifted he was. That goal v Ipswich would be drooled over today and replayed for weeks. It bordered on genius.
CB Fry titled his autobiography..." A life worth living " and I can think of no better epitaph for Frank.
RIP and thanks for entertaining so many people.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
We only had a brief flirtation with him at the end of his career, but his goal against Wimbledon at the Goldstone in late 1984 will live with me forever.

RIP Frank, you truly were a legend.
that's one I remember so fondly.i can still see it, it was planted into the south goal as I remember. Happy days. Rip frank

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
that's one I remember so fondly.i can still see it, it was planted into the south goal as I remember. Happy days. Rip frank

I was saying to Harty Junior yesterday, it was sadly just before the highlights saturation on TVS/South Today so unfortunately we didn't spend all day yesterday watching on YouTube again.

I did show him Frank's famous goal for Bolton yesterday and he was mesmerised :)

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
R.I.P. Frank, remember fondly watching as a 13 year old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Seven Stars

May 4, 2013
Fiveways, Brighton
Remember his one season fondly. As others have said his legs were gone but the touches, flicks and back heels always seemed to find a team mate and open teams up. Worth the entry fee on his own.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I only heard of his passing on MOD this evening as I moved house on the day he died and had no internet for a few days.
It was telling that he spotted enough in Ian Muir to take him with him to Tranmere and turn him into a legend.
God bless you “Uncle Frank” and thanks for the pint in the Sackville.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here