Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Frank Lampard - next England manager?!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He’s done well with certain parts of the job, he’s a great communicator, for example, but tactically he’s rather challenged compres to some of his peers.
He's tactically quite poor, but has been very good in all other aspects of the job IMO.

Some people only focus on on-pitch in-game decisions (understandable to an extent, as that's the main thing we see) but I believe he has provided huge value in other areas, and the players recognise and appreciate this.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He's tactically quite poor, but has been very good in all other aspects of the job IMO.

Some people only focus on on-pitch in-game decisions (understandable to an extent, as that's the main thing we see) but I believe he has provided huge value in other areas, and the players recognise and appreciate this.
I agree with this. People say that other managers would have got more out of this squad because the players are so good. I disagree. Other managers had really great players as well, but struggled to motivate them.

The facts speak for themselves, England have never had the run of reaching the final stages of competitions in the way they have done under Southgate.

I'd also address those saying he had a lucky run of games. Partly this has been achieved because we qualify so well. As a result under Southgate we go in as a seeded team, not pot 2. This gives you a much better chance of proceeding. We all remember the days of struggling to qualify for tournaments or scraping through.

Also who says Switzerland are easy? The Italians didn't find them so. The Germans needed a last minute equaliser against them. They are actually a very good team.

Time to accept that international football is tough, and Southgate has done better than any England manager on a consistent basis.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
We know that Potter takes an age working day in day out to get results and we also know that elite players don't respect him. Other than being a yes man what makes him suitable for the job?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also who says Switzerland are easy? The Italians didn't find them so. The Germans needed a last minute equaliser against them. They are actually a very good team.

Time to accept that international football is tough, and Southgate has done better than any England manager on a consistent basis.
Yep, the moment we beat Switzerland suddenly their performances against Germany and Italy are ignored/downplayed. It's tedious.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Presuming Southgate leaves after this, which I'm not so sure, and presuming the FA want another English manager, you're left with a choice between;
Gerrard, Lampard, Potter (don't think international management is his bag), Howe, Rooney.
Good luck picking the peanut out of those turds.
When Southgate got the gig there was a similar roll call of duds.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
If it came down to Potter vs Lampard, I would be team Frank Lampard's England all day long and twice on a Sunday. Potter would suck even the minutest remaining joy there can possibly be from watching this awful England team, despite the quality of the individuals. Saka and Foden as wing backs is not what I'm looking for from England.

I honestly don't think I'd bother watching full England games if Potter were the manager, even if we made the World Cup despite his management.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There is an argument that an international manager should be essentially a senior coach who just tries to get the best out of players he has for about 10 days every couple of months, rather than a manager trying to imprint an identity as they could say in, day out in training.

There is also an argument to say if you have a manager of sufficient quality who does work in this way but wants the job (as it’s undoubtedly tough) then that has to be the way to go.

What I’m saying is Frank Lampard is shit at both of these.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We know that Potter takes an age working day in day out to get results and we also know that elite players don't respect him. Other than being a yes man what makes him suitable for the job?
I agree it took him a long time to convert Hughton’s defensively minded squad to one which suited his needs but I’m sure this would be the same for many top managers given the purchasing constraints on Brighton and having to work with what’s already there. He simply would not have to mould a squad to his needs as he can just pick ready made players. In fact his defence of Dunk, Webster and White is oven ready.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
A failed English PL manager for the England job? Frank Lampard must be a shoo in (in his defence he did OK with the kids at Chelsea first time around)

Gerrard the Dark Horse

I suggest Potter will become the 21st century Curbishley if he doesn’t get the gig.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Tournament football is all about winning isn’t it? If the Albion ever get to a cup final no one will care how pretty the football was in the games that got us there. If we won the final on pen kicks we have the trophy in the cabinet end off.
Southgate is a tournament manager not the best tactically, the football is not great to watch although it does a job. Mourhino was successful for years doing the same thing. No idea why England fans who have won nothing since 66 are moaning so much.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Lampard only gets it if Potter doesn't want it. But its certainly going to be someone who is unemployed and probably English, and then there's not really a lot of candidates. Lee Carsley maybe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tournament football is all about winning isn’t it?
Apparently so. You would not guess this from watching England though.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
I do have respect for Lampard as at least he had the gonads to take on managership unlike Lineker, Shearer, Rio and the other fellow which name always escapes me, how did he ever get a pundit role?
Lampard must be thinking I am surrounded by bottle jobs.

Give it to Potter he will fit in many ways as an international manager.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I do have respect for Lampard as at least he had the gonads to take on managership unlike Lineker, Shearer, Rio .
Is it a lack of 'gonads' if you simply have no interest in doing it?

They might, you know, like what they've chosen to do now.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
If you can ignore his smugness, I feel like Howe would do a good job. His sides tend to play quite fluid football, but not so tactically complex that it needs weeks of drilling into players, which you don’t get the chance of in international football. Potter has the tactical nous, but I don’t think he could cope with the egos or the criticism.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I do have respect for Lampard as at least he had the gonads to take on managership unlike Lineker, Shearer, Rio and the other fellow which name always escapes me, how did he ever get a pundit role?
Lampard must be thinking I am surrounded by bottle jobs.

Give it to Potter he will fit in many ways as an international manager.
+ Wright, Neville (1 aberration), Jenas, Carragher, Redknapp, Crouch, Wise, Scott x2, Richards, McCoist, Dublin, Murphy, Keane (tried it and soon bailed out), Rooney (crap at both), Dixon …… Hansen, Lawrenson……The list goes on.

Some are good entertainers, some are funny and engaging …… but none have strategic skills.

Souness and Hoddle are perhaps the British exceptions.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
+ Wright, Neville (1 aberration), Jenas, Carragher, Redknapp, Crouch, Wise, Scott x2, Richards, McCoist, Dublin, Murphy, Keane (tried it and soon bailed out), Rooney (crap at both), Dixon …… Hansen, Lawrenson……The list goes on.

Some are good entertainers, some are funny and engaging …… but none have strategic skills.

Souness and Hoddle are perhaps the British exceptions.
Is it a lack of 'gonads' if you simply have no interest in doing it?

They might, you know, like what they've chosen to do now.
Wright, Crouch and Neville I feel are worth listening to for different reasons. Hoddle I like and respect, Souness I can't respect as his tackling on field was verging to manslaughter!

I don't like people who use their position for manipulation of the public when they have never even managed their kids football team!

Managers are prepared to take on the highs and lows and good ones will have taken every single detail in and get their players to act on them.
I don't like Southgate for his ultra negative tactics, with top players in the squad with such a great record of scoring at such a level and he isn't using our strengths.
But i do respect Gareth for sticking to his plan, lineker needs to have a go sometime, but won't because he knows he could not lead 3 mice let alone lions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here