Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fowler

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hiney said:
ARTHUR Fowler would show more emotion than Sven
He'd probably show more flexibility and tactical nouse as well. Arthurs cabbages were always well arranged I thought, and he wasn't afraid to try growing the odd marrow in with his tomato plants. Thats imagination, that is.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Easy 10 said:
He'd probably show more flexibility and tactical nouse as well. Arthurs cabbages were always well arranged I thought, and he wasn't afraid to try growing the odd marrow in with his tomato plants. Thats imagination, that is.

AND...........

he had a plan B, although it involved STEALING the Christmas Club money.

That's what we need, someone who comes across as your favourite Uncle, but underneath is a calculating BASTARD who will not hesitate to stitch people up in pursuit of the big prize.

NewtownRoad

Mar 3, 2006
Hove
James Beattie has done well since he regained his fitness. Still needs to prove himself over a longer period, but is young and strong enough to be ahead of some of the other forwards that are getting talked about.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hiney said:
AND...........

he had a plan B, although it involved STEALING the Christmas Club money.

That's what we need, someone who comes across as your favourite Uncle, but underneath is a calculating BASTARD who will not hesitate to stitch people up in pursuit of the big prize.
SPOT ON Hiney
And much like Sven, our Arthur had a bit of a roving eye on him for the odd dodgy boiler. He certainly wasn't adverse to burying his lumpy old parnsip in an open tub of mulch.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I reckon he could do a job, good option as a sub as he is such a fine finisher, that's what we need when we're looking for a goal late on.

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
I think he should go as he is probably one of the greatest finishers in the country.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
NewtownRoad said:
James Beattie has done well since he regained his fitness. Still needs to prove himself over a longer period, but is young and strong enough to be ahead of some of the other forwards that are getting talked about.

I'd have Ashton above him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
O Lads said:
I think he should go as he is probably one of the greatest finishers in the country.
Replace "IS" with "WAS" and you might be a little closer to the mark. He was at the fag-end of his career at Leeds, has had a rubbish spell at Man City, and a handful of goals in the last couple of months doesn't alter the fact that he has gone well beyond his sell-by date, and is starting to smell a bit.

Even Sven isn't stupid enough to take Fowler.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
O Lads said:

If he keeps up the goalscoring run he's on he is a much better option than Defoe imo. How fit is Owen likely to be and what if he breaks down again (likely), We will have no experience just a Giraffe and Rooney and another unproven player.

Ain't gonna happen though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To put a slightly different spin on this topic, let's just assume for arguments' sake that both Rooney and Owen get injured in our first group game. Who would you most like to see start in the second match?

I'd probably go Crouch and Defoe, but I can see the merit in the Fowler argument. I'd expect Beattie and Darren Bent to fill their pants with poo if 1 on 1 with the keeper in the World Cup.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barnet Seagull is on the money. Ashton is an infinately preferable choice to Fowler. One player is on the up & up in his career, the other is very much on the downward slope. Ideally Ashton would've been given his chance before now, but I'd like to see him given a runout in the remaining friendlies. He's taken the step up to the Premiership in his stride, so lets see what he can do in a white shirt.

Fowler. :rolleyes:

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
Pavilionaire said:
To put a slightly different spin on this topic, let's just assume for arguments' sake that both Rooney and Owen get injured in our first group game. Who would you most like to see start in the second match?

I'd probably go Crouch and Defoe, but I can see the merit in the Fowler argument. I'd expect Beattie and Darren Bent to fill their pants with poo if 1 on 1 with the keeper in the World Cup.

Play who you like, it's over if that happens.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you're talking striker desperation then Andy Cole wouldn't be a bad shout. I'm sure he could be persuaded out of retirement.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
If you're talking striker desperation then Andy Cole wouldn't be a bad shout. I'm sure he could be persuaded out of retirement.

Ah yes, the tactical 'I'm retiring from international football after not making the last few squads and with no prosepct of getting back in for the foreseeable future' option. Premiership footballers, don't you just love 'em. Dignity oozing from every pore.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pavilionaire said:
Yes, he's always been incredible for England. And he's injured as well - right up Svens street in that respect at least.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Teddy. Could do a job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here