Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We could have 5 slips and a gully... but so far the ball hasn't been going there... it has been pinging to the fence with monotonous regularity.

and yet the bowlers appear to be trying the same thing over and over again.

I don't like it when we bowl to short, but I'm surprised we've not tried some short stuff here, especially Warner who is looking to whack everything.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
and yet the bowlers appear to be trying the same thing over and over again.

I don't like it when we bowl to short, but I'm surprised we've not tried some short stuff here, especially Warner who is looking to whack everything.

I find it odd that for years we've ove-used the short ball and now we seem terrified to use it

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Finally!

After lulling him into a false sense of security with a rank long hop, Swann gets an edge from Rogers and it carries to Trott at slip.

109-1

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Finally!

After lulling him into a false sense of security with a rank long hop, Swann gets an edge from Rogers and it carries to Trott at slip.

109-1

But more interestingly

"Now, here's something to liven up the atmosphere. A man dressed as the Honey Monster is running up and down the steps of one of the stands chasing another man who is dressed as Kermit the Frog. The stewards soon put an end to the fun, much to the crowd's annoyance. Ten minutes later, they are back, to huge cheers..."

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Finally!

109-1

I was just thinking whether the previous ball was intentional and he set him up? ???

It was a shocking previous ball to the wicket taking delivery.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I was just thinking whether the previous ball was intentional and he set him up? ???

It was a shocking previous ball to the wicket taking delivery.

In the first didn't he and Smith both getting wickets of slow full toss' and Smith got another with a shocking long hop.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Warne is dead right, after one over 1 shot goes through the covers and Cook takes out 3rd slip and puts in cover, after 5 overs, he takes out 2nd slip and puts in a deep point, so negative from the captain.

Once he did that our bowlers stopped bowling a full length. Right from the start more worried about runs than taking wickets. Pitch map showing a real lack of full balls in this innings.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Warne is dead right, after one over 1 shot goes through the covers and Cook takes out 3rd slip and puts in cover, after 5 overs, he takes out 2nd slip and puts in a deep point, so negative from the captain.

Once he did that our bowlers stopped bowling a full length. Right from the start more worried about runs than taking wickets. Pitch map showing a real lack of full balls in this innings.

They were 50-0 after 12 overs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are still sat fairly pretty. The Oval will definately turn & I'd be suprised if Swann doesn't bag a few in the this innings.

How much do you stand to win? Is it worth a cheeky punt on Harris to cover it, if Anderson doesn't do much in this innings?

It won't make me rich! Its 5/1 or 9/2 -one or the other.

I'll see where it stands at the end of this Test. If Swann is still well ahead of Anderson, I'll probably put a few quid on Harris to be top Australia bowler at the Oval, as he'll almost certainly need to be that to overhaul Swann, and if I'm lucky I can collect on both :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
They were 50-0 after 12 overs.

Yes, the point being made was that by taking the attacking fields out, the 3 seamers each bowled a shorter length than they did in the first innings. If anything, this meant less wicket taking balls, and allowed them to score. Cook's action of trying to prevent the scoring, in Warne's opinion at least, enabled them to score.

Almost all of Broad's wickets in their first innings was on a full length, this innings he had about 6 deliveries that were full.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Swann is tearing them apart. Again.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Aussies so aggressive throughout their innings, bang Clarke's second ball goes for 4...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Broad's got Clarke out 3 times already in this series to Anderson's once. Broad needs to be at Clarke with an attacking field.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here