Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Good clear explanation.

So, if for arguments sake it had been the other way round what would have been the decision? i.e. if an umpire gives someone out lbw, but an edge shows up which the wicket keeper caught, then the lbw is decision is not out, but would the batsman be given out caught behind?

Based on the same logic, no, but I have a feeling that this has happened before - could not tell you when though.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Good clear explanation.

So, if for arguments sake it had been the other way round what would have been the decision? i.e. if an umpire gives someone out lbw, but an edge shows up which the wicket keeper caught, then the lbw is decision is not out, but would the batsman be given out caught behind?

Definitely caught behind, because there's no umpires call element to a catch

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think so, he was given out caught behind so the umpire thought the bat hit the ball, as he thought the bat hit the ball it could not have been given as lbw.

Yes?

No - that is not correct. He was not out caught because DRS showed he didn't hit the ball. He was not out LBW, because DRS showed it to be an 'umpires call' and the umpire had not given him out LBW (which might have been because he thought he had hit it - but who knows with Tony Hill??).

If DRS had shown it to be a clear LBW (no umpires call) then it WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT.

Clearer?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As a complete aside, I know a young lady here who was invited by Mr Smith to Michael Clark's wedding in Bali (I think!). All expenses paid. She went, had a great time and then dumped him - said he was too clingy!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Partnership for the 5th wicket 129, looks like that may be enough to take the game away from us. 33 runs behind 5 wickets in hand.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Partnership for the 5th wicket 129, looks like that may be enough to take the game away from us. 33 runs behind 5 wickets in hand.

We're glass half empty though, apparently 250 is par but no one told the Aussies!!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We're glass half empty though, apparently 250 is par but no one told the Aussies!!!

Being " Glass Half Empty " is the result of being on the wrong end of numerous Aussie pastings. I can clearly remember Lillie and Thompson bowling to England with 5 slips, two Gullies and a Mid Off/ Mid On and we were lucky to make 200. That is my personal GHE experience and one that I would not like to revisit hence the calls for a wake up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

That was my polite way of saying you're both talking shit! Especially vegster, who is desperate for us to play crap so he can slag the team off and for Pietersen to get out so he can have a dig at him even though he's up there with our best ever batsmen.

About 300 looks like a par score on this wicket. They've got their act together and played sensibly at a RR of 2.4 and not got out playing silly shots like we did. I keep saying it, they're a better team than you're giving them credit for, if you wake up and realise that we don't just have to turn up in order to win then you'll stop bleating when we're not making 400+ runs or bowling them out for >200

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That was my polite way of saying you're both talking shit! Especially vegster, who is desperate for us to play crap so he can slag the team off and for Pietersen to get out so he can have a dig at him even though he's up there with our best ever batsmen.

About 300 looks like a par score on this wicket. They've got their act together and played sensibly at a RR of 2.4 and not got out playing silly shots like we did. I keep saying it, they're a better team than you're giving them credit for, if you wake up and realise that we don't just have to turn up in order to win then you'll stop bleating when we're not making 400+ runs or bowling them out for >200

Whatever.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Billy, don't be a zero. I will not resort to outright abuse but can't you see that I want England to play well ? I have no mission to decry the sainted KP. I just want England to bat,bowl and field better than the Aussies and win well and win with some style.

I can see you are struggling with this but we are ONLY JUST WINNING against what is reckoned to be a poor Aussie team and I would really like us TO PLAY BETTER. Geoff Boycott has his faults but he is a very good summariser of a game of cricket and he even said today that apart from Bell, most of our batsmen look out of form and that he is struggling to see where the runs are going to come from.
He also said that we missed a trick by not playing Onions on his own ground where his local knowledge and experience would be a boost for the team. A couple of years ago we had a strong batting line up and a good bowling attack, if one of the top order or if one of the bowlers had an off Test the others would rise and plug the gaps. Recently if the batting crumbles, we are relying on Bell to dig us out or if the bowlers lack penetration Swann or Anderson would get the wickets. We seem somewhat rudderless on the field for long periods and we are now hoping that someone will come to the party and do something rather than playing as a team with a plan A and a plan B.

There you go and I haven't even mentioned KP.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Billy, don't be a zero. I will not resort to outright abuse but can't you see that I want England to play well ? I have no mission to decry the sainted KP. I just want England to bat,bowl and field better than the Aussies and win well and win with some style.

I can see you are struggling with this but we are ONLY JUST WINNING against what is reckoned to be a poor Aussie team and I would really like us TO PLAY BETTER. Geoff Boycott has his faults but he is a very good summariser of a game of cricket and he even said today that apart from Bell, most of our batsmen look out of form and that he is struggling to see where the runs are going to come from.
He also said that we missed a trick by not playing Onions on his own ground where his local knowledge and experience would be a boost for the team. A couple of years ago we had a strong batting line up and a good bowling attack, if one of the top order or if one of the bowlers had an off Test the others would rise and plug the gaps. Recently if the batting crumbles, we are relying on Bell to dig us out or if the bowlers lack penetration Swann or Anderson would get the wickets. We seem somewhat rudderless on the field for long periods and we are now hoping that someone will come to the party and do something rather than playing as a team with a plan A and a plan B.

There you go and I haven't even mentioned KP.

Sorry, probably a bit out of order from me :facepalm:

To be fair I find Boycott overly negative as well. Mabye we're just all looking at it from a different perspective, I generally like to see how the game unfolds so I should probably keep off these threads like I did at the start of the series. What's happening at the moment is purely a lack of form, I see that as an enevitable part of sport and especially cricket. There are plenty of faults with this side. Cook is a by the the book captain, as was Strauss. We rely too much on Swann and Anderson. Too many batsmen out of nick at the moment. On the whole though, we are 2-0 up in the series and over the last few years they are getting more right than they get wrong, that's got to count for something.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Day 3 begins... Australia 222-5 trailing by 16 on first innings, new ball due in 6 overs... everything to play for!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here