Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Gear - Why ?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have sixth so tend to go from 4th to 6th sometimes which I shoudn't but its pure lazyness.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What happens when you want to overtake something, or don't you.

If I am travelling in fifth at say 50-60mph and I want to overtake something it takes ages to do so in fifth so I just drop to fourth and put the foot down and then re-enage fifth once in front the slower car.

If you drop down to 3rd for this the revs will be far to high

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
To be honest gazway - I don't overtake. Unless on a motorway or dual carriageway. I never feel safe on single carriageway roads.

Best to be a few minutes late in this world - than a few seconds eary for the next.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Dick Knights Mum said:
Best to be a few minutes late in this world - than a few seconds eary for the next.

never a truer word!!

maybe I should become your mechanic - do you often require a new clutch or have problems with gearboxes? I could make a fortune out of you ;) :lol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Fourth Gear - Why ?

Dick Knights Mum said:
I never thrash the car. And I am not concerned about lost revs. The thought occured to me last night - so I changed into fourth, and then to fifth - and it confimed my view that fourth is pointless.

Do you have driving gloves easy ?

Why do I have this mental picture of an old woman in a flat hat driving around Bexhill reading that? :ohmy:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My car hasn't got a lighter, and the sockets - theres one in the boot also - are just marked "12V Supply". The lighter is 60 notes from Fiat.

I've also got 6th gear, most cars do now, and I usually use 4th the way people use 3rd because of the different ratios - its 5th thats obsolete now... so same as tinx then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
OK so I'll bite.......what car are you driving that has 6 gears. It has to be something exotic and expensive and btw most cars do not have six gears MYOB....do they ???? (you're not counting reverse are you :dunce: )

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My car has six gears, it is nothing more exotic than a Golf diesel, and to be honest I think it is brilliant. The car will sit at around 80 mph in 6th gear at little over 2000 revs, and that makes it very economical. Have driven 300 miles over the past few days, mainly on motorways and used a smidgeon over a half tank of fuel.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
MYOB said:
My car hasn't got a lighter, and the sockets - theres one in the boot also - are just marked "12V Supply". The lighter is 60 notes from Fiat.

A Fiat without a ciggy lighter....? i find that hard to believe, must be hidden behind something.

As for "whats the point of 4th", thats the BEST gear, 60-70 down the B-roads in me GTI 16v. Marvellous driving scenes.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
beorhthelm said:
A Fiat without a ciggy lighter....? i find that hard to believe, must be hidden behind something.

Its not, surprisingly. Smoking is so heavily banned here that Fiat, etc realised they can get away with leaving the physical lighter out and just putting in the socket with a rubber cover on it

Your car is one of the few places you can still smoke thats not your own house or very much outdoors, but if you're working from your car/in your car.. then you can't...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
MYOB, isn't that an option, I bought my last car brand new, amongst all the amazing things on offer I ticked "non-smokers package", all that resulted in was no cigarette lighter but a rubber cap in its place, just in case you want to plug something else in.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gully said:
MYOB, isn't that an option, I bought my last car brand new, amongst all the amazing things on offer I ticked "non-smokers package", all that resulted in was no cigarette lighter but a rubber cap in its place, just in case you want to plug something else in.

It could easily have been an option, I did get into a pretty long speil with the sales bloke...

Either way, its not got one, but its got 2 sockets.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
My present vehicle has 9 gears (and two reverses) but my previous one had 16.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
.....To macth engine speed with road speed, perhaps?

If you rode a motorcycle in this manner you would probably die.

Last edited:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
wonder if new cars will replace the fag socket with phone holders, as now required by law, if using on the move?

mate has TWO sockets- one for front passenger walkman, and rear seat passenger to use for mobile dvd player / whatever...

not sure what effect this has on the poor car battery!
:rolleyes:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
despratefan3 said:
wonder if new cars will replace the fag socket with phone holders, as now required by law, if using on the move?

mate has TWO sockets- one for front passenger walkman, and rear seat passenger to use for mobile dvd player / whatever...

not sure what effect this has on the poor car battery!
:rolleyes:

Err, if used when driving, none. Power is taken from the alternator in the engine

If used when stationary, bye bye starting up on a cold morning. It'd be the 1980's all over again...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here