Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Gear - Why ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I seem to recall going to Halifax for the game that wasn't in your car and you were driving in third up the outside lane of the M1 !

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dick Knights Mum said:
I don't think I have ever used it. I always go from third to fifth.

Car cigarette lighter - Why ?

Surely more dangerous for a driver than using a mobile phone.

you drive like my grandad then :D

the lighter socket is to keep the fridge powered and the beers cold on those long drives :clap:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Surely the cigarette lighter is actually just a socket for your phone charger / iPod? That's all mine's ever been used for.

As for fourth gear - I suggest there are many times when it's useful!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Dick Knights Mum said:
I don't think I have ever used it. I always go from third to fifth.
That is very strange and unnatural. Don't you find the revs die a bit of a death when you change up to 5th ? You must lose the power of acceleration for a while till the engines RPM's catch up with your abnormal shift, unless you are absolutely thrashing it in 3rd before you change.

My dear old Rover wouldn't put up with me for long if I started treating her like that.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I use my car cigarette lighter all the time. It's a lot safer than using a disposable lighter which can be very dangerous.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I'm not sure if I've got a cigarette lighter. I've never looked for it. Then again I've only had the car 5 years.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I use my car cigarette lighter all the time. It's a lot safer than using a disposable lighter which can be very dangerous.

Unlike smoking???

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
i do it to make me look hard

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Re: Re: Fourth Gear - Why ?

Easy 10 said:
That is very strange and unnatural. Don't you find the revs die a bit of a death when you change up to 5th ? You must lose the power of acceleration for a while till the engines RPM's catch up with your abnormal shift, unless you are absolutely thrashing it in 3rd before you change.

I never thrash the car. And I am not concerned about lost revs. The thought occured to me last night - so I changed into fourth, and then to fifth - and it confimed my view that fourth is pointless.

Do you have driving gloves easy ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
bhaexpress said:
I seem to recall going to Halifax for the game that wasn't in your car and you were driving in third up the outside lane of the M1 !

That was the game that was bloomin called off - about 10 minutes after we got there. A quick pint - and back in the car home again. Great day out.

I didn't drive at all - that I remember.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Fourth Gear - Why ?

Dick Knights Mum said:
Do you have driving gloves easy ?
No. I wouldn't be able to pick my nose properly at traffic lights.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dick Knights Mum said:
That was the game that was bloomin called off - about 10 minutes after we got there. A quick pint - and back in the car home again. Great day out.

I didn't drive at all - that I remember.

Oh, sorry ! Who drove then ? The pisser about that game is that we got back down the M1 too late to stop off at Mansfield in time to see them put paid to any remote chance of Cardiff winning the championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here