Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FOUR years ago this week....

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Mark McGhee was sacked, and our record for the season was P7 W3 D1 L3.

Under Gus this season the record is P6 W2 D1 L3

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Mark McGhee was sacked, and our record for the season was P7 W3 D1 L3.

Under Gus this season the record is P6 W2 D1 L3

Irrespective of the similar results, the big difference 4 years ago, was that the Chairman of the Club at that time, was starting to receive a bit of flack.

There was only going to be one 'loser' in that contest.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Irrespective of the similar results, the big difference 4 years ago, was that the Chairman of the Club at that time, was starting to receive a bit of flack.

There was only going to be one 'loser' in that contest.

I doubt it would be any different if the current chairman started to receive flack about the current manager.

I think the issues went deeper with the perceived treatment of CKR etc.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I doubt it would be any different if the current chairman started to receive flack about the current manager.

I'm well aware that the issues involved with McGhees sacking were many, and probably complex.

El Presidentes opening post was deliberately 'provocative', so in return deserved an equally 'provocative' reply.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I think, the current, chairman did, similar last season, with Slade. So, if, results, start to deteriorate, the gun, will be, quickly loaded.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Four years ago today my life changed forever - I scarcely noticed McGhee being sacked

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
2 of the three defeats this season gave been in pointless cup comps. Also Gus has put together a good squad that plays good football he has not jus taken us down with a whimper like McGoo had.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
out out out

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Gus has also spent more on Greer than I think McGhee probably was allowed to spend in his entire time here

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
2 of the three defeats this season gave been in pointless cup comps. Also Gus has put together a good squad that plays good football he has not jus taken us down with a whimper like McGoo had.

This is the key difference. We were pathetic in that final season in the Championship. Having said that with hindsight the timing of McGhee's dismissal was odd. He should either have gone at the end of that season or been given longer than six games the following one.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Were we 7th in the table?

Dean Wilkins (sigh!!!!) was sacked by Dick Knight (ANTICHRIST!!!) when we were seventh, so if there is any KARMA then Bloom (Jury is OUT, anyone can buy affection spending £91m on a stadium), should sack Poyet and his fellow South African and re-install Dean in his rightful place.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Dean Wilkins (sigh!!!!) was sacked by Dick Knight (ANTICHRIST!!!) when we were seventh, so if there is any KARMA then Bloom (Jury is OUT, anyone can buy affection spending £91m on a stadium), should sack Poyet and his fellow South African and re-install Dean in his rightful place.

It was a simple matter of economics with Wilkins.

We may well have been seventh, however we were haemorraghing supporters and bums on seats paid wages.

He may have been treated badly however the style of football was utterly depressing.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd say we've only lost 1 key game out of 4 myself.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Poyet is building a side for the future, McGhee's team looked like the wheels were falling off, given the lack of fight in his teams and his ultra negative tactics, (taking off your forwards and putting on a defender when losing etc) Losing the crowd and those who remained were apathetic rather than getting behind the side, publicly slating his players as not good enough, and falling out with several of the team

IMO - McGhee should have gone before the season started especiallly given the way we were relegated. The new manager would have benefitted as he would have had pre-season to prepare the team.

Whereas the future looks brighter than it has been for a long time under Poyet and i feel we have a manager again who is more likely to be poached by another club (like Coppell, Adams pt1...) than a manager who will be sacked (like Hinshelwood)

Poyet is also working to improve things behind the scene too, like having a development squad to bring young players through and help them make the step up to the 1st team, whereas, with McGhee, it felt like there was almost self destruct, falling out with players and not being able to attract new ones to replace them, weakening the team / squad instead of building.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here