Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four more

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
According to the Argus. Gus has confirmed he wants four more before the season starts. From the snippets and rumours you would guess we have known targets for centre back and (big name) striker and negotiations mist be ongoing but two (specifically) attacking midfielders needed and as Woods and Garvan said no we are presumably back to hunting for the right people. Anyone got any thoughts on who?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surely he needs defensive cover above all else. We are stuffed if our full-backs get injured, and need at least one quality centre half. Too bad Woodgate couldn't be persuaded to come here!

Oct 25, 2003
yeah i'd say centre back and centre midfield are definites........personally i'd try for a good back up keeper as i'd be nervous having brez in goal for the championship

bridcutt and dicker are both slight gambles in this league, although sparrow should be fine.....while it is anyones guess if navarro can return to his form pre-injury

strikers? well for some games we may well play with 1 up front..........CMS and hoskins should both be fine......while bergkamp and barnes (super sub) can provide back up, so i'd rather strengthen CB and CM first

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Surely he needs defensive cover above all else. We are stuffed if our full-backs get injured, and need at least one quality centre half. Too bad Woodgate couldn't be persuaded to come here!

Were not stuffed if the full backs are injured according to Gus. Thats why he has brought in Vincelot to cover, and has publicly stated that Tanno is more than good enough to play in the Championship . Certainly a centre half is required definately.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
a big , scary, mf of a centre back , decent cover for marcos although the dagenham lad seems to be quite versatile , an established midfield general and a "marquee " striker.......i suppose.:???:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Gus' words are one striker and one centre back plus 2 midfielders. He says Damour is not the type he is looking for so rule out a defensive mid.

My guess is Navs has earned a deal and Tanno and Vincelot are full back cover.

The striker target has to be someone who is a good header of the ball as it is the only thing we are missing up front. If the rumours are right he will be our new record signing.

The centre back to my mind is likely to be a loan and I think a deal may have been provisionally done.

One attacking centre mid who I reckon we may be struggling to get and what chance another winger as back up?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Gus' words are one striker and one centre back plus 2 midfielders. He says Damour is not the type he is looking for so rule out a defensive mid.

My guess is Navs has earned a deal and Tanno and Vincelot are full back cover.

The striker target has to be someone who is a good header of the ball as it is the only thing we are missing up front. If the rumours are right he will be our new record signing.

The centre back to my mind is likely to be a loan and I think a deal may have been provisionally done.

One attacking centre mid who I reckon we may be struggling to get and what chance another winger as back up?

by that estimation we have just about increased our wages bill by 150%..........oui...??

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

More expensive than CMS? Good grief.

Would rather strengthen up at the back.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
More expensive than CMS? Good grief.

Would rather strengthen up at the back.

I agree on both counts :)

Some of the more revered posters on here (some who may even be genuinely ITK) have suggested a £3m+ signing.

I was surprised we didn't go for Damour as cover in front of the defence. Maybe the new centre back could play sweeper if needed once el Abd is fit but I do think we are still vulnerable based on last year. That said Gus reckons only a centre back and he is the man.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Gus has this spot on in my opinion.

If he could get a CB CM and another striker i would be delighted.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think it'll be two central midfielders, and two defenders (probably one centre half and one versatile full-back).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
bridcutt and dicker are both slight gambles in this league, although sparrow should be fine.....
Can't agree with that.

I think it'll be two central midfielders, and two defenders (probably one centre half and one versatile full-back).
But he HAS said that he wants another striker. Ridiculous though it seems.

One thing's for sure, Bloom and Poyet are taking this whole Championship business rather seriously.

Old Hadlothian

@san_miguel73
Jul 24, 2007
Borough of Crows
Sky Sports rumours have mentioned Neil Mellor as a possibility @ £300k - this is only a rumour with no substance to back it up though..
I know he has been mentioned before. IMO, last season yes.. this, not good enough.... would be a good squad member at best.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
One thing's for sure, Bloom and Poyet are taking this whole Championship business rather seriously.

I think it's a case of having too otherwise they risk a big dip in season ticket sales if we have a bad season struggling at the wrong end of the table.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
To be honest, much as I respect Gus, wish he would stop drip-feeding us his plans. It's a case of 'so many this week' so many before we go to Portugal' 'maybe whilst we're in Portugal' . Large part of me says, get on with it, we only need to know when it's done ?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Mellor is fat and crap, would rather spend that 300k on free beer for fans

Centre half deffo, what with greers red card record last year, plus if el- abd struggles to keep up with the pace so soon after his injury, will need a good CB

Tbh were pretty much sorted with our attack, if u want to be critical, yea, another striker, certainly not a winger, think we have enough cover there if the oppostion forget there's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here