Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Four figure crowd expected tonight'

Withnail

Jan 16, 2004
Lincoln
Alby said:
On the Official site it states will be on Seagulls World with free trial for non subscribers.

Nice one! That's my evening sorted.

5 Litres said:
I think a four figure crowd suggested around 1,000. I thought the club did very well to cope with the extra 3,000 or so that no-one could have predicted.

Certainly don't envy the stewards tonight. I think they did well to open the turnstiles. It was pure anarchism in action in the truest sense and seemed to work out well. The dispersal at the end seemed to pass off OK despite the lack of road closures.

Very sorry for those that might have been caught up in the crush on the way in though, although it did seem that those with kids did make the wise precaution of going in early - the North Stand was utterly packed with 'em.

Hard for the club to learn any lessons from tonight though - this was not just the Withdean faithful turning out tonight, but some of those mythical 30k who went to cardiff. Many of the people around me in the North Stand said it was their first Withdean game for many years.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Not sure LI how you can say the club did well.

It was total choas outside. AT 7.00 it was VERY clear that there was no way that everybody was going to get in by kick off yet no more turnstiles were opened until AFTER KICK OFF!

I had two youngsters with me when we were stuck in the walkway between the turnstiles and the old away stand it was packed, and there could easily have been an incident.

Well done to the team on the pitch - biut CRAP off it. Terrible organisation. The safety officer has A LOT of questions to answer tomorrow.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:

It was total choas outside. AT 7.00 it was VERY clear that there was no way that everybody was going to get in by kick off yet no more turnstiles were opened until AFTER KICK OFF!

Have to agree slightly with this. Although the amount that turned up could never be predicted it was clear even earlier than 7 that it was going to be heaving and there was way more than 1000.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Now this is something you won't see often from me, but the club did get it wrong tonight. They should have had more stewards and more turnstiles open and sooner.

Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:

I had two youngsters with me when we were stuck in the walkway between the turnstiles and the old away stand it was packed, and there could easily have been an incident.

Well done to the team on the pitch - biut CRAP off it. Terrible organisation. The safety officer has A LOT of questions to answer tomorrow.

Fair points - and ones I can't disagree too much with. But I think it was obvious they didn't really have any one else to staff the turnstiles, so the option would really be to let in everyone free earlier. Would that have been the right thing to do and lose so much revenue?

It was a cock-up, undeniably, but a hard one to blame the club for given the total unpredictability of the turnout.

That said, as I mentioned earlier, I feel very sorry for people like you and the two youngsters with you who had to endure the chaos and the crush.

Perhaps the one thing the club could have done was to pre-sell tickets as well as making it pay-on-the-day, then they would have got some rough idea of the extent of the demand.

gerbil said:
Because they always do according to him :yawn:

If you read my post properly you tiresome goon, I actually was congratulating the stewards on opening the turnstiles, not saying that the club did well. Stop f***ing grinding your axe.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
London Irish said:
If you read my post properly you tiresome goon, I actually was congratulating the stewards on opening the turnstiles, not saying that the club did well. Stop f***ing grinding your axe.

And if YOU'D read MINE properly you sanctimonious prick you would've seen that I was saying that you ALWAYS say the club did well no matter what the subject is.:dunce:

gerbil said:
And if YOU'D read MINE properly you sanctimonious prick you would've seen that I was saying that you ALWAYS say the club did well no matter what the subject is.:dunce:

Your posts are never that difficult to comprehend and can just be speed read :)

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
London Irish said:
Your posts are never that difficult to comprehend and can just be speed read :)

I wish I was you :love:

You're great. :rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In the end it was just a youth team game FFS.

The 'Safety Officer' certainly and suddenly earnt his keep. Rustled up just about enough folks willing to wear the orange jacket. Very much doubt anybody checked their credentials very thoroughly, but full marks for response time innit.

If the club were at fault for not realising the numbers, all I'd say is: how many people turned up about five minutes before kick-off expecting to stroll in? If so, how do you reckon the club knows more than you?

And why didn't you just say 'f*** it' and watch the game on the terrace of the Sportsman with a beer like the rest of us?

Absolute piss poor tonight in my opinion. It didn't take a brain surgeon to see before 7pm that more gates were needed to be opened in order to get everyone in. So why did it take almost 40mins to do so?

I got there before 7pm and still missed the first 20mins of the game :angry:

Then the steward refused to open the gate to the running track to stop everyone getting crushed. Was so f***ing mad at that point.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Why did they not just open the south stand from the start?

They had adverts in the programme and local press all week so of course there was going to be a large crowd.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
2 things.

1. There will never be another "pay at the gate" match at Withdean for anything to do with Albion teams.

2. Even without Park & Ride, and Road Closures, there was virtually no traffic outside the ground after the game, no delays getting up onto Dyke Road, and no problem parking. Makes you think the whole P&R scheme is a bit misguided if it beleives it reduces traffic. Normal matchdays are a nightmare around Withdean.

That's all.

Well done the boys, I hope some of the 1st teamers spotted those players in the middle of the pitch, called "midfielders"

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Superphil said:

2. Even without Park & Ride, and Road Closures, there was virtually no traffic outside the ground after the game, no delays getting up onto Dyke Road, and no problem parking. Makes you think the whole P&R scheme is a bit misguided if it beleives it reduces traffic. Normal matchdays are a nightmare around Withdean.

There ws definately a problem parking.

I took my boy with me and got there at 6.45,drove round for half an hour looking for somewhere to park and eventually went home again.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
gerbil said:
There ws definately a problem parking.

I took my boy with me and got there at 6.45,drove round for half an hour looking for somewhere to park and eventually went home again.

There are never any cars parked in Wayland Avenue above the woods, and never any stewards up there....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here