Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Four bent penalties in 5 games.Doesn't even out does it?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
And a handball ignored before the Reading goal.
It does make you wonder ???

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
You're right, Mona. It would have to be five 'bent' penalties in five games for it to even out.

:lolol: :p :lolol:

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
We are having shocking bad luck at the moment but just to cheer you up I just did the relegation calculator and we stayed up with a win at Rotherham and Gillingham beating Cardiff to send them down only to go down on the last day themsleves after losing at Forest!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
not to mention several legitimate looking penalty claims turned down + a few dodgy cards branded about (ie Virgs v S'land)

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Re: Re: Four bent penalties in 5 games.Doesn't even out does it?

fatbadger said:
So who do you think has been paying off these refs, then?

Hadn't you heard? It's the Football League apparently. There's a top-level conspiracy to get Brighton relegated because the Withdean Stadium doesn't look good on the telly. Or something like that.

We've also had some very dodgy refs who have made some awful decisions this season, and that's another conspiracy according to our fans. The Football League want us relegated because we're Welsh, allegedly.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm struggling with hese penalites at the moment. I'd love to think that the referees were all 100% sure about all of the decisions that have led to the penalites in the last few games but I really don't believe they were. The penalties at Stoke were highly dubious but nowhere near as dodgy as the penalty on Saturday.

When none of the opposition players appeal for a penalty at all you have to wonder what the referee could possibly have seen, if he has given it for holding by Butters then, as a few people have mentioned to me since, the ref should be giving about 10 penalties a game.

I personally don't believe we deserved anything out of the game, we played okay but if you're going to allow a 38 year old with a sweet left foot get from the half way line to the edge of the box to shoot then you shouldn't be upset when he tucks it away. However to be kicked in the teeth like that at the start of the second half was ultimately what cost us, it took the wind out of our sails folowing a good spell towards the end of the first half and we never really recovered (that might sound a bit silly considering we equalised but I think you get my drift). I'm getting very disheartened with our situation at the moment and these referees seem to be looking for something for which they can award our oppositions penalties is not helping one bit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Oh yeah and can people PLEASE stop singing songs like 'You're going down in a brand new stadium' while we're trying to get somerthing out of a game, it's like you're willing them to score.

Goons.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Oh yeah and can people PLEASE stop singing songs like 'You're going down in a brand new stadium' while we're trying to get somerthing out of a game, it's like you're willing them to score.

That's not even accurate, is it? If Coventry go down, they will do so in an old stadium.

johnwells

Jan 6, 2005
penalties

I know Leons mised some, but when did w elast get a dodgy penalty letalone 5 in 4 games on the road

corrupt of course they are

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Re: Re: Re: Four bent penalties in 5 games.Doesn't even out does it?

The Laughing Bluebird said:
Hadn't you heard? It's the Football League apparently. There's a top-level conspiracy to get Brighton relegated because the Withdean Stadium doesn't look good on the telly. Or something like that.

aha , i knew it

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Laughing Bluebird said:
That's not even accurate, is it? If Coventry go down, they will do so in an old stadium.
Pedantic! Were also singing 'Best ground in League 1' or something like that. Talk about tempting fate!

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
Saturday was the worst, at stoke at least the ref could justify 2 penalties, the first one look liked big macca dripped him, and the second one, if he didn't give hand ball against butters, then perhaps big maccas wierd choice of a rugby tackle at the near post would have be awarded.

At coventry, how can you award a penalty for a shirt pull in the area, and not send big mac off for throwing a punch, and the coventry centre back for stamping on knighty when he was laying on the floor injured.

So to conclude at coventry, in the refs eyes, it was ok to punch, stamp and perhaps even knife someone, but if you touch that lovely pale blue shirt....god forgive you!

Let's not forget the Butters goal at Plymouth where Chippy's free-kick "bent" out of play and the Shaaban hand-ball outside the area.

It just beggars belief.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The conspiracy theories are complete and utter bollox and not worth the cyberspace they're not written on.

If the Albion were capable of scoring goals other than in a desultory one-shot-one-goal manner then four penalties in five matches wouldn't even matter. The Albion's goal scoring drought is the issue that has to be addressed, not the dodgy penalties.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
KinkyGoebels said:
Its down to luck.

Brighton had some earlier in the season now they dont simple.
No bent refs, just luck

What luck did we have at the beginning of the season?
Not being funny but cannot remember any dodgy decisions going our way.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
i think the bigger clubs have complained about playing at withdean and that they want us in league one, not used to playing in someone so shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here