Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forster off to Charlton

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Up to the Sky contract debacle I'd always had great respect for Forster. He lost that for me with that nonsense and showed that as much as a professional as he may be he was still willing, as club captain, to destabilise the club on the eve of a very important match when we were still right in the shit. Those still banging on about how badly he's been treated need to remember that. Gus was good to his word and gave him a route back but it was obvious that he would hold some mistrust afterwards and not see him as part of the plan. So yes, thanks for the goals and effort Nicky, but you blew it here when you could have had along term future with the club - playing another year and then maybe going on the coaching staff. I couldn't give a toss whether you do well or not anywhere else 'cos you don't play for Brighton anymore....simples.

That is a poor post HJ. Anybody who has banged in the goals for us for a few seasons and given 100 per cent should be wished well when they leave. Did he really destabilise us or even attempt too ? I don`t think so.
A route back ? Like one of those rickety bridges in Indiana Jones where you know its going to be cut once you try to cross it.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Some people really need to get some perspective on this judging by the outpouring of emotion towards Nicky. He is and always has been a journeyman footballer. A very good journeyman but one all the same. He was made club captain and yet still put his ego before that of the club by thinking he could force their hand over contract negotiations by going public. Whatever his reasons for doing that, temporary insanity included, it put us in a very difficult situation at a very difficult time. If you respect your employer and colleagues you don't do that. This season he has been far from his best, a few golden moments aside. He has been constantly caught offside, has missed some absolute sitters and seems to have got right up the noses of at least a few of the other players. We were lucky to get some good years out of him and I won't forget that but for f***'s sake, the Messiah he certainly wasn't.

Spot on, and for all we know may have been a negative influence to the need to change things at the club (attitudes mostly). It may just be that the old guard had to be cleared to make way for new thinking.

It is certainly true that the top teams in this league are the ones that score form almost every chance (even if there are only a few chances) and the rest of the division get chances and waste most of them. We need to be taking more of our chances next year and that means new forwards.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Some people really need to get some perspective on this judging by the outpouring of emotion towards Nicky. He is and always has been a journeyman footballer. A very good journeyman but one all the same. He was made club captain and yet still put his ego before that of the club by thinking he could force their hand over contract negotiations by going public. Whatever his reasons for doing that, temporary insanity included, it put us in a very difficult situation at a very difficult time. If you respect your employer and colleagues you don't do that. This season he has been far from his best, a few golden moments aside. He has been constantly caught offside, has missed some absolute sitters and seems to have got right up the noses of at least a few of the other players. We were lucky to get some good years out of him and I won't forget that but for f***'s sake, the Messiah he certainly wasn't.

Yes, - the silence from Nicky after the Sky Sports affair was deafening; he could have nipped the whole thing in the bud to quickly rebuild relationships by saying at least something, but he chose not to.

He contributed greatly; I thank him for that contribution, and I wish him well for the rest of his career in football.

What could be as big a crime is if the whole affair sullies the relationship between his stepson and the club.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008

Journeyman footballer he may be but he sure as hell has been our best player for the last 3 seasons. He has that little touch of class that has set him aside from most of the dross that wear our colours. He has the self confidence to run round the outside of defenders ( even at his age ) and his positional sense is superb. He may get caught offside a lot but count the number of times Murray is offside.
Before his ' fall-out ' with Poyet, he was in excellent form, as outstanding displays at Wycombe and Walsall demonstrate.
Forster is not the first pro-footballer to throw his toys out of the pram. The better players tend to be volatile, critical and self-confident and Forster felt that his efforts were worthy of a new contract. He saw ' lesser ' players being rewarded and clearly, was unhappy.
Going public was not ideal but an experienced manager would have diffused the situation immediately, spoken to the player privately and even if he didn't figure in his long term plans, should have persuaded the player that he still had an important role to play at the club.
To fail to utilise our best and most experienced player, at the back end of the season, when we are trying to climb the table to respectability and then let him go to a better side, doesn't make any sense to me.
Poyet's farewell statement appeared sincere but we all know it was good riddance and is a sorry end to a player who deserves better.
Anyway, onward and upward with two novices and Glenn ( oops, he's gone down again and its not a penalty ) Murray.

Adyb

Feb 18, 2009
Bye Nicky and thanks for the goals.

Murray has been scoring away but not at home, Nicky done both. Who would the youngsters learn more from Murray or Forster??

Forster would teach them how to create chances and put 100% in each game, whilst Murray would teach them to fall over and how to be off side. I know which one I would rather learn from

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
Journeyman footballer he may be but he sure as hell has been our best player for the last 3 seasons. He has that little touch of class that has set him aside from most of the dross that wear our colours. He has the self confidence to run round the outside of defenders ( even at his age ) and his positional sense is superb. He may get caught offside a lot but count the number of times Murray is offside.
Before his ' fall-out ' with Poyet, he was in excellent form, as outstanding displays at Wycombe and Walsall demonstrate.
Forster is not the first pro-footballer to throw his toys out of the pram. The better players tend to be volatile, critical and self-confident and Forster felt that his efforts were worthy of a new contract. He saw ' lesser ' players being rewarded and clearly, was unhappy.
Going public was not ideal but an experienced manager would have diffused the situation immediately, spoken to the player privately and even if he didn't figure in his long term plans, should have persuaded the player that he still had an important role to play at the club.
To fail to utilise our best and most experienced player, at the back end of the season, when we are trying to climb the table to respectability and then let him go to a better side, doesn't make any sense to me.
Poyet's farewell statement appeared sincere but we all know it was good riddance and is a sorry end to a player who deserves better.
Anyway, onward and upward with two novices and Glenn ( oops, he's gone down again and its not a penalty ) Murray.
:thumbsup:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's not a poor post, it's my opinion.

A poor post for you.......................and off the mark. I thought we sent best wishes to anyone who has worn the stripes with pride.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Another 'well said' (to go with the other thread)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I thought we sent best wishes to anyone who has worn the stripes with pride.

And that is the crux of it for me, I honestly don't think he did. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish him any bad and I don't think he committed the crime of the century. I just think a lot of people have set him up as something he isn't and never was. I'd be more than happy if he returned to us hungry and still wanting a future but I won't be following his every move at other clubs and thinking of what might have been.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
And that is the crux of it for me, I honestly don't think he did. Don't get me wrong, I don't wish him any bad and I don't think he commited the crime of the century. I just think a lot of people have set him up as something he isn't and never was.

He was a good striker who kept us out of div 2 last season. I think he deserved a nod on his future contract - or not as the case may be - and then all that mess would never have happened. He gave 100% and hit the net regularly and for those reasons I will always hold him in high regard,.
I dont understand what you mean though HJ when you say he has been set up to be something he isn`t and never was.
He was just Forster wasn`t he. ( or Foster if you were Norman Gall obviously)

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I dont understand what you mean though HJ when you say he has been set up to be something he isn`t and never was.
He was just Forster wasn`t he.

To me, you and some others yes. To a lot of others he seems to be a bleeding-blue-and-white goal machine who we're doomed without.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Don't mess with Gus. Good stuff. Our manager is showing he's not going to take any shit even from the senior pros.

It's his ship and I'm glad to be sailing in it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What a f***ing joke? Forster is the best player at our club IMO!
Poyet! You've got this one wrong! :wrong: :censored::tantrum::tantrum::censored::tantrum::US::US:

Forster is definitely not our best player. His age is starting to catch up with him and he is not as effective as he was. Still a good player at this level but we can do better next season with the money we supposedly have.

What I don't understand is why people don't just trust Poyet. He knows what is going on at the club and probably has his targets for next season already. I think it is good that we have a strong manager who believes in making the right decisions and not falling to fan or player pressure.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Dont care, he did a job,thanks i helped pay your wages and you scored some goals,thats your job, good yes,hero no, he will be forgotten before you know it.So lets move on

New season will bring new strikers.............

Next.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
what a load of shit ! barnes is crap

Given your location, I guess you may have some inside knowledge here based on his time at Plymouth or on loan at Torquay.

My hunch here is that the only person at Brighton likely to have seen him is Barry Lloyd, during his wonder spell at Eastbourne.

If you follow my conspiracy theory, this can could be a win win for Poyet. If the lad has potential and is worth keeping , Poyet gets the credit for unearthing a gem. If he proves to be a conference standard player, then you can chalk this one up to the soon to be revamped scouting network.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here