Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forster+Murray. The best Albion strike partnership since when?

FORDY

Aug 29, 2006
CITY OF DUNBLANE
I have to agree with Baird and Maskell. The pressure was on and Maskell played off Baird really well during that period. Both never really got the plaudits at the time due to the off field troubles.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Marney and Wilkinson in The Chapionship.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Small and Byrne were a classic pair, flair, creativity, skill, strength and lots of goals. When Micky had the ball things happened, we were fortunate to have him when we did as his career really fizzled out after us.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I can understand the sentiment but does that make them a good partnership because at the time we were bottom of the division below what we are in now.

If they had been any good we would have been higher up in the division because they would have scored more goals.

well then surely by that reckoning it is the partnership that fired us to our highest league position - whoever that was. and if you are going to apply the logic of a strikeforce getting us high up the table, then mcphee and knight were better, and virgo and mccammon

i dont think you can say that they werent good because of where we were in the table - they got nearly 30 goals between them, which accounted for over half of what we scored that season - even more vital when you consider the fact we stayed up on goals scored. it was the team around them that was the problem

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Small and Byrne were a classic pair, flair, creativity, skill, strength and lots of goals. When Micky had the ball things happened, we were fortunate to have him when we did as his career really fizzled out after us.

Mickey Small went to West Ham for £400K and scored 18 goals in the first season of the Premiership - not bad in a side that got relegated that season He then dropped out of the West Ham first team and ended up at Wolves I think?

Byrne was sold to Sunderland for a criminal £225K not long after, but as per usual we had big bills to pay quickly.

Byrne & Small were class. If we had kept them together for another season i'm sure we would have got promoted to the Premiership in 1992.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Alex Dawson and Kit Napier.

They got a few together one season.

Ward and Mellor though must be the best. Mind you I remember Mellor getting plenty of unwarranted stick.............. nothings much changed around Brighton fans as there are still the mis-guided moaners about.

Ward and Mellor.
Not too difficult to pick really, as Ward was surely the best forward we ever had play for us, and Mellor could consistently capitolise from his own good skills - plus what dropped from the table while Ward was drawing three defenders!

Spider Mellor was our version of Peter Crouch, and Ward - well, I can only compare him with George Best.

Jimmy Greaves said Ward was better than him - quite an accolade, but really not an outrageous statement, even for one of the greatest English players ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here