Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forster-caskey????

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The right time to throw in a teenager with little/no experience?

Why not? play with no fear. Look at the kid in the middle for Palace (Williams?) he ripped us apart and I think is the same age as Caskey. If Caskey (or Simmonds or Rodgers) does not offer more than Harley I would be amazed

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
Why not? play with no fear. Look at the kid in the middle for Palace (Williams?) he ripped us apart and I think is the same age as Caskey. If Caskey (or Simmonds or Rodgers) does not offer more than Harley I would be amazed
Tottaly agree .at the moment dont really see what we have to lose

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
No matter what we think or say on here, it just wont happen, gus is too set in his way. He wont change. If you don't like it, then he will just go home :facepalm:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The answer, of course, is that it depends how he is doing at training. The management team will look at these players every day and know how far away they are from first team action. I don't think his age is a barrier, but he does need to show on the training ground that he can fit into Gus' plans.

I wouldn't be surprised if he also ended up on loan at Bournemouth (maybe MK Dons) sooner, rather than later,

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Normally I'd agree with you, but as pointed out above - Palace have been playing a 17 year old for most of the season and he was by far their best player at the Amex. I don't think anyone is saying he would be an instant success and turn our losses/draws into wins, but surely it wouldn't hurt to start getting him involved and start developing him further? He's played in tournaments for England and so isn't completely inexperienced.

The danger at the moment though, is that the weight of expectation will be on him to turn it around. A 60 minute 6/10 performance in a defeat, and he'd get slated on here, with people going from treating him as the Messiah to being completely shit. His best chance of being eased gently into rthe 1st team is as part of a successful side. I was surprised that he didn't get some time in the side at the end of last season, but the time is not now for me.

As for the Palace kid, yeah, he was superb, and has been all season from what I've seen, but just how much expectation was there on him at teh start of teh season? I would imagine very little, with most Palace fans hoping for mid-table obscurity after the relegation scare of last season. Our fast start this season, has sent expectations to silly levels, and I wouldn't want Forster-Caskey to suddenly get billed as the man to get the promotion push back on track. :ohmy:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I believe his time will come but not yet, BHA have had a dip in form and their confidence is fragile, so worst time to throw him in at the deep end. I would look to put him on the bench once our confidence comes back (which it will) and give him 20 minutes here and there when we are in winning positions. he comes across as intelligent and Gus will have his best interest at heart and will know when the time is right.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I wonder when people think it is the right time to play young players?
Throwing him in the team would be a big gamble, it could come off, a young player with no fear etc. Or it could put massive pressure on the kid and look like a panic move.

BUT I don't see how he'd be any less effective than Harley or Sparrow. I'd have him on the bench.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
It all depends on whether Buckley, Vicente, and Bridcutt are fit, but we all know Gus is seething about the team playing 'the wrong way', so I'm sure he'll want to drop a few from the line up.

It could be time to see how far one or two of the development squad have come, so maybe it's JFC's chance?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How many have actually seen him play? From the DS games I have seen this season, he has been pretty inconsistent, even at that level against non league players, so I'd say he needs more games, more time, throwing him in at first team football is not the answer, in a struggling team

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
What has happened to Jamie Smith too? He was playing in the first team last season...seems to be playing well for the Development Squad too. I remember Gus saying he rates him..

Also, in pre-season, Gus was heavily praising Anton Rodgers. Perhaps he's a better option than Caskey, as I believe Caskey is more of an attacking option.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'd like everyone to cast their minds back a few years and remember the fuss regarding our own White Pele - Jake Robinson.

He was 17 and had done well in the youths and reserves. People were actually writing to the Argus on a weekly basis questioning why McGhee hadn't played him yet, and there was a thread on here almost daily.

So what happened? He wasn't ready, he got bullied by defenders because of his size, and while you could see a good skillful player in there it slowly ebbed away as his confidence did.

I trust Gus 100% not to make the same mistake. I wonder what would've happened with Jake's career if they'd waited until he was actually ready before being chucked in at the deep end.

AlbionKebabs

Sep 23, 2005
Hove innit, you mug.
I'm assuming everyone on here is making their sound judgment on a single subs appearance against Stoke or simply from reading everyone's opinions on NSC. Maybe he's just not actually good enough? Just an idea why he's nowhere near the first team.

Oct 6, 2010
Look at it this way, he can't be any worse than Harley has been, or at least was against Watford. At least he is bound to show some heart and desire.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'm assuming everyone on here is making their sound judgment on a single subs appearance against Stoke or simply from reading everyone's opinions on NSC. Maybe he's just not actually good enough? Just an idea why he's nowhere near the first team.

Or watching his performances with the England u17s?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I know!! I mean how can anyone that hasn't posted on NSC more than fifty times know ANYTHING about football??

Indeed, how ridiculous. Fergie, Wenger etc have zero posts on here. They must know nothing!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It is so English to worry about experience. Play him, if he is good enough, he will be fine. If he is not, well, he had the chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here