Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forster: 3 points that were not deserved

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nicky has turned Brentford into a footballing side in a very short period - their fans must be counting themselves lucky and be looking forward to next season just as we were this time last year.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
Brentford were unlucky last night and could have won. We have our keeper to thank. Teams are learning that if they take the game to Brighton then our defence is not as solid as we like to think it is. On the other hand, if a team is going to win their division they sometimes have to grind out results as Brighton did last night. I thought that Sparrow was outstanding but Kish looked slow and a bit past it.

It's funny how people look at games differently as I thought Kish was outstanding last night, that strong head just in front of the defence, always there to break up their attack, simple ball out of defence and only tired in the last 15 mins. Ok he benefits having Bridcutt next to him with all his energy, but Kish was quality last night.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night and though casper made a couple of fine saves I thought Brentford were pretty toothless really, never troubled us that much. Ok took an own goal to bag the 3 points, but you get games like that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
With scouts at every match looking for our flaws, I reflect on our previous match against Carlisle, where Gus expressed very succinctly that he didn't like "how open" we were. To follow that match with another in which Ankergren kept us in it - you have to think that sides are all going to spot how we can be exposed.
Perhaps with Adam el-Abd back in the squad things will be tighter in defense, but are we relying too heavily on one man who ...could get injured or carded to be out again?

I hope he's there for our 'big' games, but Gus also has to work it out so that he's not relied upon too much either.
Some of our midfield has to also cover well when the ball changes possession in the middle of the park, and I recall el-Abd was also decent playing in the middle....perhaps better even, than in defense. So - we could probably do with half a team of el-Abds (not as strikers of course, because he's RUBBISH up front! :lolol: )

It was a tough game away from home. No matter how good the defence is, the home team is ALWAYS going to create chances and have a few sights of goal at some stage during course of the game (unless the opposition are particularly hopeless, which Brentford clearly are not). Thats when you need your keeper to be on his toes, and Ankergren was certainly that. Yes we shipped 3 goals on Saturday, but none of them were down to what you'd call "calamitous" defending - thankfully, those days are LONG gone.

Our success this season has been built on a foundation of a good solid defence. We defend brilliantly as a TEAM, and the lack of El Abd these last two games has not significantly altered that IMO.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
but none of them were down to what you'd call "calamitous" defending - thankfully, those days are LONG gone.

I'd describe the defending at Mk dons as calamitous! But probably the only time I've seen it this season to be fair. We have looked shaky since then though and that was with Adam playing too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'd describe the defending at Mk dons as calamitous! But probably the only time I've seen it this season to be fair. We have looked shaky since then though and that was with Adam playing too.

Bit harsh perhaps but certainly true that for a while now we have been below our best defensively and I really do think that is down to the number of games. No matter what you say, professional players do become jaded.

Where we have missed el Abd (never ever thought I would say this) is his distribution. He fits Gus' system perfectly and is always the most available for a pass. Plus he gives us balance with Greer who has had to play on his "wrong" side with Elphick. Two games rest will have done Adam good.

Calderon and Painter both need a couple of matchdays off IMO but with only Tanno as cover we will struggle to give it to them and as a result we might not see a return to our previous defensive omnipotence any time soon. We should, I am sure, still be good enough.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Interesting comments from both camps on this one. For the first 15mins or so we tore them apart but after Murray had the header saved we seemed to take our foot of the gas and allowed them back into the game and create some chances of their own...That said, we were able to cut through them with ease when we could be bothered too. Something I found quite pleasing was after Murray had that first time shot saved the composure he showed to chest down the rebound and have another volley was sublime...Yes, I know he missed but I am confident but with nerves of steel like that he would put another similar chance away.

The second half started much like the first but we were again unable to score even with the gift of a penalty. I am not saying the award was soft as despite being at the other end of the ground it still looked a clear penalty and a silly challenge for their bloke to make...And although I initially cheered the refs decision and Barnes having a decent spot-kick record I was never confident. The strike seemed accurate enough but it looked as though my 6 month old nephew could have hit it harder...Plus Dragon's Den Richard Lee has done well with peno's this season.

But we still kept the pressure on more during this 45 and until near the end I barely remembering them coming within shooting distance of our goal. But for all this there were times when our passing game let us down as often the boys had trouble knocking it 5 yards to each other. I thought Painter did not have his best game and Sparrow was having a bit of a 'mare. On the positive side I thought Bennett was excellent was running the game for us...Brentford picked-up on this and were soon doubling-up on him to try and nullify him. For me, this would have been the perfect time to introduce Noone into the fray as with his speed and box of tricks he would have caused them no end of problems. This situation would have created a real dilemma for the Bees as there is no way they could have doubled-up on both Noone & Bennett.

We got a slice of luck with the goal but we were deserving winners anyway. Plus it is time we had our rub of the green especially with some of the bad luck we had dished out in the first half of the season...And I certainly would rather have the good luck in the second part of the season than the first! When the goal went in I looked over to the boisterous fans in the main stand, (well I say boisterous but they only woke-up half-way through the second period,) to give them some V-signs and saw them jumping up and apparently celebrating...So, for a fleeting moment I had that horrible sinking feeling that the goal had been disallowed. Also, in all the excitement someone in the seats must have shat themselves as there was one horrible smell afterwards. Now, do not get me wrong I am prone to dropping some horrible farts but this person has world class bad guts!

All in all I think this really shows how poor Brentford are because I thought we turned in a rather frustrating and sometimes shoddy performance but we were much better than they were.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
first 15/20 minutes I thought we were going to smash them but after that I agree with him they gave us a bloody good game and probably should have got a point. No idea about the penalty as couldn't see what happened or what happened with the goal.

Soft pen, I think Osborne gave it away. Was he bribed....?

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
He actually said "probably" not deserved.

So, it's a bit like the Carlsberg adverts - not true.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I thought our performance was good and we deserved the win, we were much better last night than against MK Dons....much more pace and intent.

The pitch was pitiful, barca would have struggled wo pass on that, so we had to revert to long balls a lot more than usual, no issues there as it seemed to be quite effective.

really enjoyed it

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I posted on another thread yesterday that I thought we would see Sparrow and Bennett playing out wide last night and for one brief moment I was in tune with a footballing genius and guru.

In the post match Interview - Forster in praising his own players highlighted how they negated the Brighton player who drops deep to pick up the ball

"I thought Adam as well, stopping that man of theirs that dropped short to link up"

He could of course have been talking about the skipper, but I think he was referring to the increasingly influential Mr Barnes. Sometimes he looks so slow, because he somehow manages to create so much time for himself on the ball, if he can continue to develop he just could be a top player

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
On the other hand, Casper made two top notch saves, Brentford were not awarded a stonewall penalty (Calde's handball), and they fired just over with the last kick of the game. If I were them, I'd feel unlucky to lose.

If you're a Brentford fan that's how you are going to see the game and so you can't fault Forster for anything he has said. On the flip side though, we missed a pen and Murray should have had 3 by half time.

Regarding the "stonewall" penalty, the ref made a right arse of that. Firstly it wasn't a foul, the bloke was a yard away from Calde and it hit his trailing hand as he flicked it inside him. No way Calde could have got out of the way of it. That said it was a good yard inside the box, so if he is giving it (which he did) then it was a pen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It sounded like the sort of game where one team deserved to win (us), but that the other team (brentford) also deserved to get something out of.

Nicky has turned Brentford into a footballing side in a very short period - their fans must be counting themselves lucky and be looking forward to next season just as we were this time last year.

This is either tongue in cheek or you were watching a different game to me. I missed the first 15 minutes (although it sounds like we outplayed them through that period) but for the rest of the game they played as little football as possible until the last 10 minutes or so. Every time that they won the ball in their own half they hoofed it forwards; the only times that they even thought about passing it around was when they won it in our half.

Forster has said all of the right things for his own fans. They certainly stood toe-to-toe with us, and worked very hard and were well organised defensively, but for me we definitely deserved the 3 points. Glenn was unlucky and was well denied by the keeper and Barnes of course missed the penalty. I would have been extremely disappointed if we'd come away with only 1 point given the performance.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Regarding the "stonewall" penalty, the ref made a right arse of that. Firstly it wasn't a foul, the bloke was a yard away from Calde and it hit his trailing hand as he flicked it inside him. No way Calde could have got out of the way of it. That said it was a good yard inside the box, so if he is giving it (which he did) then it was a pen.

I don't think they are referring to that one at all. I think they mean the one in the first half, where Calde blocked the follow up shot with his arm above his head, after Casper had made a good save.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
i watched his interview on Bees Player and have to say that he was very complimentary towards us, he said six or seven times, brighton are without doubt the best team in the league. he also said that he admired poyets managing style and has tried to emulate some of the things poyet does, ion his own managing technique. i dont think he really said anything innacurate, just what youd expect your own manager to say in an interview. they did come toe to toe with us after the first ten fifteen minutes of each half, they gave us a good game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I liked Forster and he was always the one who stood out as a real competitor when we were full of shit journeymen going through the motions. We'd have ended up in League 2 without him. He had a falling out with Poyet, and lost. It may be just me but there seems to be quite a bit of resentment of him from a number of Albion fans. That's a shame because he always gave 100%, he may have been a barrack room lawyer but he was a quality player in amongst some absolute dross for much of his time here.

I wish him well and can't really see much wrong in what he had to say post match

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
It's funny how people look at games differently as I thought Kish was outstanding last night, that strong head just in front of the defence, always there to break up their attack, simple ball out of defence and only tired in the last 15 mins. Ok he benefits having Bridcutt next to him with all his energy, but Kish was quality last night.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night and though casper made a couple of fine saves I thought Brentford were pretty toothless really, never troubled us that much. Ok took an own goal to bag the 3 points, but you get games like that.

deffo this + i thought that the pen award was straight forward for the ref... As for a foul on the o.g defender, i couldn't see anyone within 5 yards of him.... imo Calde had a mare 1st half but improved in the 2nd.. well done lads on a battling tight game.. the pitch didn't help us with our style so another 3 points towards promo will do for me... great support and an all round goodnight out...cheers:clap::clap::clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here