Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Formula 1 2019

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Black and white flag don’t do anything else naughty, proceeds to miss the corner whilst under pressure then weave about on the following straight :lolol: Only a Ferrari in Monza would get away with that.

But honestly I’m glad Le Clerc won, he’s deserved some luck this season he could have had 4/5 wins were in not for unfortunate luck, he drove a good race, can’t see Ferrari competing for the rest of the season though Mercedes clearly have a better race car, Ferrari have a supreme engine/engine mode.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Driving a red car in Italy eh?

Drive Hamilton off the track - naughty, don't do anything else bad, or we'll be forced to do something

Drive off the track yourself to avoid being overtaken - no action

Have I missed anything ???

Yes. The reality and rules of racing cars. CL was half a car ahead and taking the line . . . . It's the other drivers choice to back down or take the risk.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Black and white flag don’t do anything else naughty, proceeds to miss the corner whilst under pressure then weave about on the following straight :lolol: Only a Ferrari in Monza would get away with that.

But honestly I’m glad Le Clerc won, he’s deserved some luck this season he could have had 4/5 wins were in not for unfortunate luck, he drove a good race, can’t see Ferrari competing for the rest of the season though Mercedes clearly have a better race car, Ferrari have a supreme engine/engine mode.

Local knowledge. Bumps innit. :roll eyes:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe he was a little lucky not to be penalised for squeezing Lewis off the track and then going off and taking a short cut to retain the lead.
A bit lucky? He just drove Lewis off the track.

Vettel, however, is a spent force, learner driver levels of driving the way he came back onto the track after spinning off.
He may be a spent force, I don't know, but I don't think he had a choice when coming back on. If he'd tried to get onto the track without risking getting in anyone's way, it would have taken too long and his race would have been over anyway, so there was no point. Might as well risk it and hope he got lucky. He didn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He may be a spent force, I don't know, but I don't think he had a choice when coming back on. If he'd tried to get onto the track without risking getting in anyone's way, it would have taken too long and his race would have been over anyway, so there was no point. Might as well risk it and hope he got lucky. He didn't.

That is a pretty cavalier attitude imo

You do realise that the guy who died at Spa last weekend was T Boned? That was an incredibly dangerous and stupid move by Vettel and if Stroll had not avoided him it would have been a horrendous accident.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Nonsense, he had a clear choice, run a car off the track and risk a massive accident to try to keep a top 10 place, or wait for a gap and work your way up from further back, or last if he had to. (which would have been frustrating for him, but it was his mistake that put him in the position in the first place).

He made the wrong choice, the 10 second penalty was the least he deserved for that.

I personally thought Stroll should have been penalised for doing something similar seconds later.

A bit lucky? He just drove Lewis off the track.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think F1 is in a weird position at the moment where clearly safety is being highlighted due to death or serious injury, but the drivers are getting away with more and more aggressive driving, (ie Verstappen run off Le Clerc at Austria and here, Le Clerc ran off Hamilton) a year ago, that would have been a penalty. The drivers are saying they’re happy with “hard racing”. I think they need to be protected from themselves more.

Yes. The reality and rules of racing cars. CL was half a car ahead and taking the line . . . . It's the other drivers choice to back down or take the risk.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
... And the black and white flag should be decommissioned unless anything is going to happen as a result of it being waved

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think F1 is in a weird position at the moment where clearly safety is being highlighted due to death or serious injury, but the drivers are getting away with more and more aggressive driving, (ie Verstappen run off Le Clerc at Austria and here, Le Clerc ran off Hamilton) a year ago, that would have been a penalty. The drivers are saying they’re happy with “hard racing”. I think they need to be protected from themselves more.

They certainly need protecting from Vettel at the moment. I think Leclerc had every right to take his line . . . . Hamilton would have done the same . . .its happened to me at Spa a few years back, I was livid at the time, because I was trying so hard to overtake, but on reflection, had to back out as I was not ahead and the car ahead had the right to the line.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nonsense, he had a clear choice, run a car off the track and risk a massive accident to try to keep a top 10 place, or wait for a gap and work your way up from further back, or last if he had to. (which would have been frustrating for him, but it was his mistake that put him in the position in the first place).

He made the wrong choice, the 10 second penalty was the least he deserved for that.

I personally thought Stroll should have been penalised for doing something similar seconds later.

He was given a drive through rather than a stop go wasn’t he but I take your point. He certainly got a penalty but not as severe as Vettels

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nonsense, he had a clear choice, run a car off the track and risk a massive accident to try to keep a top 10 place, or wait for a gap and work your way up from further back, or last if he had to.
Well that's incorrect. His choice was to risk running a car off the track. He didn't know for a fact that a car would be there. I imagine he knew that if there was a car there, they'd be able to avoid him, which Stroll did.

He certainly deserved the penalty, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to make at the time.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think Leclerc had every right to take his line . . . . Hamilton would have done the same
Hamilton was ahead a split second earlier, before Leclerc got his nose marginally back in front. Leclerc had the inside line for the next corner, that was his advantage, but he shouldn't have been going all the way to the outside to push Hamilton off. Have you got a link to Hamilton ever having done the same?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well that's incorrect. His choice was to risk running a car off the track. He didn't know for a fact that a car would be there. I imagine he knew that if there was a car there, they'd be able to avoid him, which Stroll did.

He certainly deserved the penalty, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to make at the time.

Well, let’s accept for a moment, that Vettel couldn’t see who was coming (which I doubt as he wasn’t far off facing the oncoming traffic after his spin stopped), then let’s also say it’s acceptable to re-enter a F1 circuit whilst guessing whether there’s a space for you to do so (which it isn’t), he’s still got to be thinking, it’s right at the start of the race, the cars are highly likely to be bunched. Clearly they were.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, let’s accept for a moment, that Vettel couldn’t see who was coming (which I doubt as he wasn’t far off facing the oncoming traffic after his spin stopped)
My assumption is that he couldn't see. That's what the commentators believed, since you can't move much in the car. And it wouldn't have made sense in any scenario to pull out if he knew Stroll was there.

then let’s also say it’s acceptable to re-enter a F1 circuit whilst guessing whether there’s a space for you to do so (which it isn’t), he’s still got to be thinking, it’s right at the start of the race, the cars are highly likely to be bunched. Clearly they were.
Yes they were likely to be quite bunched, and it was a big risk, but there were some gaps. There was a gap behind Stroll, so if he'd waited half a second longer he'd have got away with it and rejoined in 8th place. His alternative was to sit there and wait for a marshal to notice that he needed someone to guide him back on, so he'd have come on in last place, quite away behind the driver in front, with his race over.

You're suggestion is that he did that, immediately accepting that his race was over. With his choice, at least he had some chance of being in the top 10 and still in a position to finish high up. I see it as an understandable choice from someone who wants to win.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It is, but you don't win F1 world championships by putting safety first.

For a self confessed “non fan” of F1 you are pretty involved in this thread!

Vettel has absolutely no chance of winning the Championship. It was a very dangerous move of a desperate and selfish has been :smile:

If it had been a rookie it may have been vaguely understandable but unforgivable from a four time champion. Vettel has a history of complaining about every other driver who gets in his way too, which makes it even worse imo.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hamilton was ahead a split second earlier, before Leclerc got his nose marginally back in front. Leclerc had the inside line for the next corner, that was his advantage, but he shouldn't have been going all the way to the outside to push Hamilton off. Have you got a link to Hamilton ever having done the same?

he wasn't, he pulled alongside, Lelerc then got ahead . . . half a car. He could have given Hamilton a bit more room, but wanted the best line through for himself . . . . or would have compromised his own line, it was a bit agressive, but Hamilton knew what was coming. a warning was fair.

Vettel on the other hand could have caused a massive accident and it was very deliberate. spinning his wheels the whole time on the grass, he didn't look or wait ( whether he could see or not is another matter) There's a better argument to have black flagged him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here