Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forgotten Beers

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Long Life. The first beer in cans. All you could taste was the metal.

Fremlins Bitter, and it's stronger cousin Tusker. Brewed in Faversham until Shitbreads pulled the plug on the brewery and tried to brew it in the well known Kent brewing town of Cheltenham. Failed miserably, now but a memory.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
White Label Worthington.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Just thinking about all of those wonderful beers that have passed into history. How about........

DOUBLE DIAMOND! :clap2:

Any more?
I once won a crate of Double Diamond in pub quiz. It was only after I had drunk half of them that I discovered they were out of date :drink::sick::down:

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Everest - brewed by Germans in the Himalaya's.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
White Label Worthington.

Still available brewed by Devenish Breweries (?) Badger Beers who took over King & Barnes but nowhere near as good as the original. It is now as easy to pour as a normal light ale.

It was actually known as White Shield Worthington and contained sediment as opposed to the one which didnt Green Shield which eventually became Worthington E but is no longer available as a bottled beer.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Still available brewed by Devenish Breweries (?) Badger Beers who took over King & Barnes but nowhere near as good as the original. It is now as easy to pour as a normal light ale.

It hasn't ever been brewed by Badger. King & Barnes only brewed it under contract on behalf of Bass. When Bass sold their brewing arm to Coors in 2000, Coors moved production back to Burton-on-Trent to the White Shield/Museum Brewery where it is still brewed. It won the bottle conditioned category at the GBBF in 2006.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It hasn't ever been brewed by Badger. King & Barnes only brewed it under contract on behalf of Bass. When Bass sold their brewing arm to Coors in 2000, Coors moved production back to Burton-on-Trent to the White Shield/Museum Brewery where it is still brewed. It won the bottle conditioned category at the GBBF in 2006.

I stand corrected as I thought and was convinced, that when Badger bought out K & B, who as you say brewed White Shield , under licence from Bass, they took over the breqwing of it and as such still did. I know that it is now rubbish compared to the original, which I was rather partial to.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
I stand corrected as I thought and was convinced, that when Badger bought out K & B, who as you say brewed White Shield , under licence from Bass, they took over the breqwing of it and as such still did. I know that it is now rubbish compared to the original, which I was rather partial to.

They had the option to, as the license was in effect transferred to them with the sale, but they chose not to for a number of reasons. I don't find the current brew at all unpleasant but I have never sampled the original so can't draw any comparisons.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

It was actually known as White Shield Worthington and contained sediment as opposed to the one which didnt Green Shield which eventually became Worthington E but is no longer available as a bottled beer.

Hall & Woodhouse is the brewery, and pretty much all their beer is a bit shoddy nowadays, Badger, Tanglefoot, Sussex (sic). And don't even try their lager, Hoffbrau, rank.

They do a nice bottled beer though, called Champion.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
First time pissed was on good old Double Diamond.
Then I moved on to Whitbread Tankard. "Pint of Tankard please guv". I felt a right bloke at the age of 17.

In the Navy we had a tipple called CSB. Courage Sparkling Bitter I think it stood for. f***ing lethal, (or at least it was for me) & I think they still sell it on tap in Gibraltar in some of the pubs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hall & Woodhouse is the brewery, and pretty much all their beer is a bit shoddy nowadays, Badger, Tanglefoot, Sussex (sic). And don't even try their lager, Hoffbrau, rank.

They do a nice bottled beer though, called Champion.

I got my Dorset brewers mixed up and as soon as I saw tghe Nam Hall & Woodhouse I realised many thanks. Siometimes the Badger is drinkable but their version of K & B Sussex IMHO is awful.

Of the 'local' brews I like John King (Part of the old K & B family) bitter that is brewed in Horsham as a good session bitter.

When down in Bridport I had some Palmers Bitter that was quite palatable.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
just wondering what happened to Courage? Taken over I guess. Remember travelling to the Midlands before the M25 was built and virtually every pub seemed to be a Courage one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
just wondering what happened to Courage? Taken over I guess. Remember travelling to the Midlands before the M25 was built and virtually every pub seemed to be a Courage one.

Taken over by Grand Met and then merged with Scottish Newcastle to make Scottish Courage.

One of my old favourite beers was Friary Meux Treble Gold long before it was merged with Ind Coope and Allslops.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford

Right....

Courage sold out to Imperial Tobacco. They were then sold to Fosters who merged them with Grand Met (now part of Diageo), before selling it off to Scottish & Newcastle. They renamed their brewing operation Scottish Courage before reverting back to S&N a couple of years ago. The brewing and marketing rights were then sold to Wells & Young (formerly Charles Wells, and Young & Co. before their merger) last year, who created a holding company for Courage - Courage Brands - which Scottish & Newcastle retain a 17% stake in.

Clear?

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Does anyone remember the old Star Brewery in the Ocklynge area of Eastbourne? When I was at primary school we used to be sent down there to collect the unwanted bottle tops to make percussion instruments. There used to be a pub nearby called the Star Shades? I think there is a restaurant and a supermarket on the site now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Right....

Courage sold out to Imperial Tobacco. They were then sold to Fosters who merged them with Grand Met (now part of Diageo), before selling it off to Scottish & Newcastle. They renamed their brewing operation Scottish Courage before reverting back to S&N a couple of years ago. The brewing and marketing rights were then sold to Wells & Young (formerly Charles Wells, and Young & Co. before their merger) last year, who created a holding company for Courage - Courage Brands - which Scottish & Newcastle retain a 17% stake in.

Clear?
Grand Met had to sell them on because under the terms and conditions of the Brewery Monopolies no brewer was allowed to have more than, I think it was 1200 pubs, and still brew beer. This was done to break the 'tied trade ' system hence the beer producing and pub retailing arms of Grand Met split and the pub ownership became known as Inntrepeneur, of which I had a lease in Guildford. Ther were the forerunners of all of the lease companies of which the latest, which was originally Whitbread leased pubs Laurel which is now owned by Techenoiz (sp?) have gone in to administration today and split their company into 2. They opened at 11.00am this morning under another name, City Pubs Ltd, for the old Hogshead pubs, and another one which I cant remember the name for their food operations.

They are still owned by the same man but have written off £120m in debts and are going to close 90 pubs which will save them £8m per year in rent.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Moosehead was once available everywhere on draft but disapeared quicker than a palarse promotion push

moosehead3dsign.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here