Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forgive me, but who actually makes the decision?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Who actually makes the decision? That is, sits down and weighs up the pros and cons of Falmer etc? Is it Yvette Cooper? Is it really a special advisor ? Is Prescott just going to sign it off or not or, after our campaign, has he taken an interest and decided that he'll do the deed? I'm a reasonably well informed man but here we are, perhaps on the eve of the decision, and I don't know who actually makes the decision. So much for open government.
Lord B can you help?

Last edited:

There are so many layers of decision-making, it really is hard to say.

The inquiry inspector obviously, then there will be the departmental civil servants, then there will be the departmental (political) advisers, then there's the junior minister (Yvette Cooper) and the big cheese himself (Prezza).

I can't believe given what he's said about the stadium application and its associated campaign that Prezza himself wouldn't have signed off personally on this - but it is quite conceivable that those lower down the food chain would have come up with the right decision, thus avoiding any need for him to take more than a passing interest.

When the decision comes, all we will know is what the inspector thinks - who will have been personally responsible for creating or driving through the ODPM response will no doubt be a subject of fascinating and ongoing speculation for many, many years to come.

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yvette Cooper has responsibilty on planning issues in ODPM. She would normally sign off. Prescott does have overall responsibilty, but it is the norm for a Junior Minister to lead on this.

Then again Prescott may want the glory. Anyhow who cares as long as its yes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here