Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foreign Players.....

Oct 25, 2003
really don't see what imposing restrictions on who can and can't play will really achieve. I see it as a fairly minor problem that there are foreign players over here...it probably doesn't help but it isn't the main issue

the main problem is that we're not producing enough talented footballers. That comes from (lack of) coaching from a young age (possibly due to the lack of coaches?) . We're not teaching our kids how to play football properly, so that by the time they hit 16/17 they just don't have the fundamental skills to achieve at the highest level. Managers aren't signing foreigners out of spite, they're signing them because they're technically more proficient at a young age. The amount of english players with high levels of technical ability can be counted in handfuls (probably in one handful), whereas other nations have absolutely bucket loads of them...why? Bad coaching.

Far too much heel dragging and skirting around the main issues from the 'powers that be' over the years has led to this. The separation of power between various organisations doesn't help either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely the way to go about things is to improve the technique and skills of British players so they can get in the teams on merit.

But this takes time. English football is not interested in this; it would rather buy as opposed to develop.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
really don't see what imposing restrictions on who can and can't play will really achieve. I see it as a fairly minor problem that there are foreign players over here...it probably doesn't help but it isn't the main issue

the main problem is that we're not producing enough talented footballers. That comes from (lack of) coaching from a young age (possibly due to the lack of coaches?) . We're not teaching our kids how to play football properly, so that by the time they hit 16/17 they just don't have the fundamental skills to achieve at the highest level. Managers aren't signing foreigners out of spite, they're signing them because they're technically more proficient at a young age. The amount of english players with high levels of technical ability can be counted in handfuls (probably in one handful), whereas other nations have absolutely bucket loads of them...why? Bad coaching.

Far too much heel dragging and skirting around the main issues from the 'powers that be' over the years has led to this. The separation of power between various organisations doesn't help either.

The reason English clubs are buying abroad is because they can get what they want off the shelf, cheaply, without a big training overhead. When they can do this why bother with the lengthy investment in home grown talent. Whilst clubs do have training grounds and lots of UK kids on their books I am deeply suspicious of the training investment and what actually goes on in these academies. From 92 professonal football clubs England develops an incredibly low amount of local talent. Are they more lip service/buildings for their first team squad than genuine conveyor belts of talent. I have yet to see any convincing consistent evidence.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
British players are hugely overpriced, it's the way of business to get a bargain and find a good deal. I don't mind where players come from. if the Brits aren't good enough then the F.A need to help develop players, or English clubs need to become realistic in te transfer market

My thoughts exactly.

There isn't enough investment in the development of young British talent and the British talent that we do have are massively over priced. It's something for the FA to sort out, not the clubs fielding the bargain foreign players.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My thoughts exactly.

There isn't enough investment in the development of young British talent and the British talent that we do have are massively over priced. It's something for the FA to sort out, not the clubs fielding the bargain foreign players.

But aren't we talking about developing of youngsters and this is cheap.

Opportunity is key and of course you need to have good talent, but you must remember that the Academy's and DS squads are full of foreign emerging talent or failed foreign talent, each one a potential 'blocker' to a young English player.

Foreign players do not necessarily guarantee you a technically gifted player able to compete above any current English squad member, our league is littered with foreign failures, something that needs to be remembered.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here