Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Foreign owners 'want end to Premier League relegation'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
didnt he make this same claim a little while ago and it proved to be a single owner (Bolton? which isnt foriegned owned) that was suggesting it?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yup the Championship and Football League would be f***ed, would Tony Bloom have built and paid for Falmer if there was no prospect of promotion to the Premiership ?

I wonder what UEFA's view would be, the football league would suddenly become a completely separate entity and I'm sure there would be some kind of legal battle to give European spots to the top teams in The Championship.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wow, as ideas go thats got to be the stupidest one I've ever heard. A perpetual series of utterly meaningless matches all season long for three-quarters of the division. Thrilling. And who decides what clubs partake within this League ? Or do they just pull the drawbridge up right now, cementing the current 20 Premier League clubs forever in their own little world ?

I need to see some direct quotes from someone who is actually seriously suggesting this, not a 3rd-party line from some stuffed shirt at the LMA. Its such a daft concept I can't believe anyone could say it with a straight face.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Feck it. Let'em go. The Prem is boring as it is now and would become even more boring and top heavy without any competition. We'd manage just fine without them.
I'd happily see the top 4 or 5 f*** off and form some European superleague without promotion but they can f*** off if Jonny Foreigner thinks he's going to pull the drawbridge up on OUR top tier just to protect his investment.

wunt be druv

Drat! and double drat!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
It just confirms that they have their heads so far up their own arses and see owning a football club as the latest "must have" for the Billionaire,it will make the Premiership totally sterile and even more boring than it is now (unless the Albion go up then it will be brilliant).I hope it doesn`t happen as it could ruin football with just 2 or 3 clubs winning the same trophies year in year out,the true fans will be the losers,why would they bother going to matches if you know you are going to get beaten and are just turning up as cannon fodder for the Mega rich teams.If there is no crowd at a game,there is no atmosphere which I think is almost as important as the football being played.Give me a noisy night at the Amex in the Championship,over a silent night in the Prem any time!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Good point, actually watching Rangers and Celtic compete in the Premier League would make me chuckle, it would be like the Scottish Prem but upside down.

They wouldn't be good enough at the mo, a fe wyears ago maybe. given the current standard of the Scottish stuff, I think both Rangers and Celtic would struggle in the championship TBH.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I need to see some direct quotes from someone who is actually seriously suggesting this, not a 3rd-party line from some stuffed shirt at the LMA. Its such a daft concept I can't believe anyone could say it with a straight face.

Bit unfair on the LMA, they clearly don't want this to happen, that's why they've 'leaked' it. I'm sure they are privy to some of what is discussed behind closed doors by owners, and this is clearly one of those things, so they are rightly trying to get in a pre-emptive strike, win the (easy) PR war and sabotage it. Hopefully it works.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In a sense, it's obvious they would try.

Given that about 14 clubs sole objective is to stay in the Premier League I can easily see 14 clubs voting for a quick and easy solution to their perennial aim. Whether government allow it is another question.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I sometimes wish that the top 6 (or whoever) would just be done with it and get their Euro-MEGALEAGUE started. Let Sky chuck money at that and allow the football league to flourish in a more natural state.

D

Deleted member 18477

they'll be adding a playoff system and a grand final (super bowl type event) to win the premier league shortly.

they might as well make groups so that teams only play teams from their region while there at it!... jesus f***ing christ!

if they create this wigan and blackburn can f*** right off!!

Given that about 14 clubs sole objective is to stay in the Premier League I can easily see 14 clubs voting for a quick and easy solution to their perennial aim. Whether government allow it is another question.

The issue, of course, is that those 14 clubs all have to be confident enough in their ability to stay in the top flight for the 1-2 seasons it would take to get the thing confirmed. I'd be surprised if someone like Whelan at Wigan voted for it at the moment because he'd be too scared that they'd get relegated just before it came in and forever be frozen out.

FWIW, I don't really care if they do it. Any fixed competition certainly wouldn't be the top of the English football pyramid, so presumably the Champions League spots would go to the top Championship teams and you'd end up with two parallel structures.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Feck it. Let'em go. The Prem is boring as it is now and would become even more boring and top heavy without any competition. We'd manage just fine without them.

This.

I'd be happy for the FL to go head-to-head with the PL. Without relegation, 75% of PL matches would be meaningless. we wouldn't have the distortion of parachute payments either.

PG

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just playing Devils's Advocate though, what about this scenario.

This comes in in two years. By accident of timing, we are in the Premier League when the drawbridge is pulled up. We can either stay in the Premier League forever, or resign on principle and stay in the Football League (costing us and Bloom hundreds of millions over 10-20 years).

What do our board do?

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Yeah Gartside at Bolton muted this idea a few years ago because he could eventually see Bolton getting relegated so needed to protect his cash cow!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm in the let 'em do it camp. It's going to happen at some point anyway and frankly I just don't care which billionaire owner pays his way to victory. Soon after they do it no-one else will care either.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Whelan at Wigan is been an advocate of no relegation, has been for years I think.

Now there's a thing - Wigan Athletic. I'm probably just picking on them, but...

To me, they're the closest there is (after MK Dons) to being a franchise club. Just 33 years in the league, effectively bought their way into the Premiership with a fanbase to match the mighty Rochdale's, play in front of hardly anyone IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE, a stop-off point for a number of footballing mercenaries, not the biggest club in Greater Manchester - not even the biggest club in Wigan. They even applied to join the Scottish Second Division once.

Given their relative lack of history, what right does anyone from that club have to make such an awful claim?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here