Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Foreign Aid

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The Chinese are propping up our universities, our rail network, nuclear power, steel industry and telecoms.. We could also ignore how we pilfered them and supplied them with untolds of opium in years gone by.

We need China, more than China needs us, especially with Brexit - times are a changing.

How far back do we go? After this pandemic allows us to travel I suggest we all go over to Rouen, and apologise for burning poor old Joan.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
How far back do we go? After this pandemic allows us to travel I suggest we all go over to Rouen, and apologise for burning poor old Joan.
We could at least go back to more recent times, and how we helped obliterate Iraq and Afghanistan. In the name of 'Team America World Police'.

I don't think we will though, because that's what America and UK do, and we're conditioned to expect and accept it. Until it's another country.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We could at least go back to more recent times, and how we helped obliterate Iraq and Afghanistan. In the name of 'Team America World Police'.

I don't think we will though, because that's what America and UK do, and we're conditioned to expect and accept it. Until it's another country.

I don't think that we obliterated either country, as you put it, but accept that you needed to exaggerate to lend some credence to your point. And as to whether we have accepted the intervention, I am sure that at the time, there was huge opposition to the invasion of Iraq and to this day, plenty on NSC blame the invasion for the problems that we see in the Middle east.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
[QUOE=middletoenail;9607831]Just out of interest, do neither of these supermarkets offer free delivery if your order value is over a certain amount?[/QUOTE]

Asda was free (to shielders) until a couple of weeks ago. Now running at two quid for a delivery (free for click and collect, I think).

Free delivery is now for over £999! I'll happily go along with the two quid deal! Churlish as some Boris haters are over what has happened since March this year, some things have actually been done very well (and yes, OK, some things less well, obviously, dealing with an unprecedented in our life-times global catastrophe).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
While "your bloke at work " -if that is not made up to give credence to your own prejudices -may or may not have said that, it is absurd of you in your first paragraph to claim that so many millions think as simply as you describe. Ironically, you take "the bloke at work "to task for a massive generalisation, but fail to see the irony of your own.
Spot on. The real problem on here is that so many think that anyone who holds a different view that conflicts with any part of their ideology is a fully paid up member of the (blind, racist and stupid) Mail, Express and Sun readers' club, believing wrongly that any such dissenters genuinely believe that there is a huge proportion of our population lying on their backsides all day looking at Bargain Hunt on 80" plasma, screen tellies.

There are some, obviously, but nowhere near the huge proportion of people who are absolutely certain that everybody who isn't part of their cabal must by definition be a Daily Mail (or similar) reader!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In an ideal world we would balance our books and have sufficient monies left to give overseas aid -without strings -to the poorest and most needy.

Unfortunately, we borrow money we can't afford and donate less than we should.

Things are so messed up in this country - we need a fit for purpose taxation system and some longer-term thinking on the investment front. There is no chance of that happening while the Tories are in power.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
'Take the money away'? It wasn't theirs in the first place, it belongs to the British taxpayer. And if we're going to give overseas aid then it surely doesn't need to go to China or India,both of which now own huge chunks of British industry.

they're just bribes :shrug:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
No issues if the help goes to those that need it as per Marcus Rashford. Have a friend who works in a food bank who phoned somebody up to advise their parcel was ready. The lady turned up in a brand ne 4x4 Mercedes and took the parcel without as much as a thank you. They were somewhat flabbergasted but couldn't question it

a penny to a pound she votes tory

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
How much has been spent fighting covid adding to the national debt which the likes of most on here will be paying for in taxes up until we depart and probably are children and their children as well. If all countries are in the same boat who's the rich barsteward with all the money

the 1%?

just a guess

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The cut back in foreign aid is basically:
1 “The kicks backs are not as beneficial to the old white boys network anymore”
2 “The guilt trip is over, time to move on”

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Foreign aid has very little in the way benevolence to it. There will definitely be something in it for this country somewhere.

Exactly this. Here in Japan for example the government gives hundreds of millions of USD to countries who then throw support and votes behind Japan for international issues, such as whaling.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It’s not foreign aid, it’s foreign influence. China has substantially increased foreign aid to those African countries that have large resources of precious metals and other natural resources and now gets favourable terms and is front of the queue when infrastructure projects are announced overseas.

For the UK the decision to cut foreign aid is a classic example of short termism, something our government is very good at.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
It’s not foreign aid, it’s foreign influence. China has substantially increased foreign aid to those African countries that have large resources of precious metals and other natural resources and now gets favourable terms and is front of the queue when infrastructure projects are announced overseas.

For the UK the decision to cut foreign aid is a classic example of short termism, something our government is very good at.

So, basically, bribery and corruption.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I don't think that we obliterated either country, as you put it, but accept that you needed to exaggerate to lend some credence to your point. And as to whether we have accepted the intervention, I am sure that at the time, there was huge opposition to the invasion of Iraq and to this day, plenty on NSC blame the invasion for the problems that we see in the Middle east.

You should read up the what the Americans did in Fallujah

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here