Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For what it's worth .....

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How would the player know we have 'frightening amounts' of money - it's not something that usually crops up in a conversation when announcing your interest to a player, shirley?!?!

"Hi I'm 'Ken' and my club Brighton have frightening amounts of cash to throw at players like you. Interested"?
This

What always strikes me as odd in the Tony Bloom "What is he worth debate?", is why some of the money wasn't given when we surely needed it over the last 5-10 years?
He was certainly chipping in to ensure that the electricity bills were being paid.

But he was biding his time, allowing Dick Knight to complete the Falmer planning process, before moving in to get the Club into the hands of the family.

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
Louis McGugan would be utterly sublime in the stripes.

haha - [MENTION=638]Bigtomfu[/MENTION] - am enjoying that you are using my self-created, in-game footy manager Albion kit as your avatar - possibly the proudest moment of my life!!!

Stumpy Tim

He was certainly chipping in to ensure that the electricity bills were being paid.

But he was biding his time, allowing Dick Knight to complete the Falmer planning process, before moving in to get the Club into the hands of the family.

Not the way it looked really. It looked like he waited until the banks wouldn't lend us any money to pay for the stadium, so bank-rolled a £90m stadium to save the club.

Unsurprisingly, he wanted to be majority shareholder for that act.

This

How the feck does the player know we have frightening amounts of money

Indeed.

We really don't, and are not splashing 'silly money' anywhere. If people will notice, we have had to pay a couple of going rates for the days, where talented young players do not get let go by clubs for peanuts - they cost millions here and there because of what they mean to the business done on the field - and therefore in the ticket sales.

Not the way it looked really. It looked like he waited until the banks wouldn't lend us any money to pay for the stadium, so bank-rolled a £90m stadium to save the club.

Unsurprisingly, he wanted to be majority shareholder for that act.

Our ownership changed hands because it kinda had to. Banks weren't lending, and the chairman couldn't pull it out of his own pocket.
Going to the board there was someone who could and would and did, and not surprisingly he would want control over the business his money was going to be so heavily invested in.
That is to our advantage because another proper fan of the club is deeply interested in its' success (as was/is DK), and won't be cavalier with the fortunes - financial or otherwise - of this club.

I would think the club has to be self-sustaining, and profit making once this rocket has been launched. The money spending is not inordinate, and the investment sound. No more Murrays, no more Dickinsons, and sad to see Crofts and Bennett jump off but they couldn't wait.
This is really GP's squad now, without a doubt of a shadow.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
We have a world class poker player and a world class football brain guiding us to better times.
Don't worry.
The players will arrive
The money will be available.
Source ?
Cosmic laws of attraction

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

Lord B, you're sounding a little bitter these days, I get the feeling you are not as happy about Mr Bloom bankrolling the club as the rest of us.
At the very least I sense a change in your attitude towards the club since Uncle Dick was ousted.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
This

How the feck does the player know we have frightening amounts of money

Not 100% sure TBH, however I got the impression that the club were offering/ talking of sums far in excess of what a newly promoted team would be expected to offer.
As of yesterday the player in question was viewing a possible move to a premier side. It's not McGugan

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

This is 100% correct.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Interesting. He has always been around though. Charlie Oatway in his book says how he funded the post-championship trip to Marbella (sound familiar ?) in 2000 (or 2001).

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
fact: a decent poker player makes opponents think he has less than he has.

fact: one of the worlds best poker players is our chairmen.

high probability: he has loads a wonga stashed somewhere untraceable (like holding pocket rockets etc).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

What you don't seem to understand is that most of us were getting rather agitated if not outright pissed off at the dead batting by the inner circle whenever the issue of funding was ever raised on here. It was all "it's all in hand, we have the money, don't panic, the board knows what they're doing". This was particularly galling and was frankly a patronising point of view when the credit crunch took hold.

And lo and behold, Bloom's money bailed out the club and that is the fact of the matter. You are in a minority if you think that stadium was ever going to get built without him, especially as quite clearly the banks were NEVER going to lend the club money for the stadium by the time the diggers were schedule to move in.

Your rhetoric as quoted above does you a complete disservice for all the hard work you put in getting the stadium approved. People appreciate what you've done but people also appreciate that the club would still be on its knees without Bloom. He's one of us, only with a lot of money - and he is throwing a lot of it at the club.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Nice to see that you're not bitter about it all, though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So not really one of us then :smile:
You know what I mean you SCAMP. One of my chums here in Reigate was in his class at Lancing College and even back then he bled blue and white like most Albion supporting schoolboys. He's just living the dream that we all wanted to be able to live, and moving the club he supported as a boy onto the next level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here