Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For what age of child are people buying AMEX season tickets?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I know it's been discussed before but I couldn't do a search for "age" or "old" and so can't find the thread.

My son will be 4 in May. Is he too young to sensibly buy a ST for and expect to take to matches? My plan would be to get tickets in the West Stand not the Family Stand (ironically so that we can sit with family!).

I'd be very grateful for people's firsthand experience and advice.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My eldest son was 8 before he had his first season ticket.

His younger brother didn't want one until he was 13. Before that he would bring his gameboy along rather than watch the football!

Obviously the whole Amex experience will be very different from the Theatre of Trees, but I guess it's horses for courses?

and you would always have the opportunity (as long as it's not too much hassle or cost) of upgrading on a match-by-match basis for someone else to use his seat if Moshe Jr was unable/unwilling to attend (particularly evening games?).

What does Mrs Gariani think?

Last edited:

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
My son is 5 and i take him to about 10 games a season he loves it. I will be getting him a season ticket at falmer but not in the family section. I have been taking him for 2 seasons now but not school nights!

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
My son had his first st at 5.

Thing is If you do not get one when he wants one you will have to move seats to get one next to you probably

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My son had his first st in the family stand at 2 years old (attended his first game at 6 weeks and most saturday games from 18 months). He's now just coming up to 4, loves football and does pay attention but recently has taken to getting upset when people overactively celebrate goals :lol:

he doesn't attend evening games

At falmer we will be buying in the family stand and will also get a ticket for his little brother who will be just over two and who went to his first game when we played FC United. Dont expect him to use it much straight away as he has a lower boredom threshold but we want to be sat together when he does start going.

My son had his first st in the family stand at 2 years old (attended his first game at 6 weeks and most saturday games from 18 months).

took 'the boy' when he was 7 weeks, he's been to about half a dozen matches since but at 18 months (Rochdale) I decided he'd seen his last match at Withdean (can't sit still, too wet/cold etc) I'll try and get one match at Falmer ASAP but wont take him regularly til he's about 5

olliwarne

Aug 12, 2010
Germany
My eldest son was 8 before he had his first season ticket.

His younger brother didn't want one until he was 13. Before that he would bring his gameboy along rather than watch the football!

and their cousin will be having his first ST at the age of 16, but that probably has more to do with the fact that I live in germany.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Mine were 10 and 7 when we got therir first season tickets. Depends on the child of course, but mine wouldn't have been interested until 5 minimum.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My Son is 6 and has had a season ticket for two years in the family stand, Before that I took him to maybe 5 or so games to see if he enjoyed it and he did. Needless to say I am getting him a seaosn ticket next year as well. He is almost as excited as me.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My son is 8 this year and loves going, I didnt take him until he was 7, much earlier than that and I dont think its worth it.Concetration is a big thing for a kid of that age and they will inevitably end up spoiling your enjoyment of the game at the same time if they cant sit there and watch it with you without saying Dad "im bored"...

So 7 or 8 is about right if they are keen etc for a season ticket in my opinion.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
NSPCC11.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have a very important bit of advice for parents bring their young kids for the first time(s).

Howeevr bored they get, however cold or wet it is, whatever the score is, under NO circumstances give in to your child's request to leave early. I've seen it with other families at Withdean, and you are creating a huge rod for your back, later on.

My lads knew right from the outset that if you go to a game, you stay til the final whistle. It would n't occur to them now to even consider asking to leave early.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I have a very important bit of advice for parents bring their young kids for the first time(s).

Howeevr bored they get, however cold or wet it is, whatever the score is, under NO circumstances give in to your child's request to leave early. I've seen it with other families at Withdean, and you are creating a huge rod for your back, later on.

My lads knew right from the outset that if you go to a game, you stay til the final whistle. It would n't occur to them now to even consider asking to leave early.

Spot on. The only issue with a youngster is the immediate need for toilet which in the cold weather has meant quick rushes off at times

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
I have 4 children and have had a season ticket (south stand) for them to share at Withdean for the past two seasons. They are now 4(boy), 5 (girl), 8(girl) and 10(boy), when I first got one for them it was with the intention of sharing it. My eldest went to the first couple of games and never really liked it, so stopped going. The girls go because it only rolls around for them every six weeks or so, they forget how bored they were the last time they went. The real revelation is my youngest, I took him first time at the beginning of this season so he was 3.5 years old, he really pays attention to the game and has never whined about wanting to go home (which the girls both did first time, so I explained how it worked by showing them the countdown clock on the control box, and we go when it gets to zero). For evening games I normally get the ticket upgraded to an adult and take my brother-in-law.

I plan to get 2 children season tickets at Falmer (not in the Family stand), I can then merry go round them with the children and upgrade as required for other family members when they want to go. Getting 2 tickets (plus mine) will hopefully future proof me as I suspect at least 2 of the 4 will want to go more permanently as they get older, and not using the family stand I don't have the additional hassle of moving when they get older.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Thanks for the replies and advice - I think I should probably go ahead and get him one now because otherwise he might never be able to get one and I don't want him to miss out on the big European nights.

I like the "on no account ever leave early however much they whinge" approach. It is so hard to tell what he'll be like with it all - I'd love to think that a day out with his Dad, Uncles and cousins will be enough incentive to get through the lulls in "concentration" that will no doubt occur (that, a few kilos of Haribo and whatever handheld computer gadget is en vogue perhaps...).

I also like the suggestion that when Moshe Jnr is unavailable (or it's a big game) we will have an extra ticket in our "block" that can be upgraded.

Mrs Gariani will need a bit of persuading in any case.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
.. I'd love to think that a day out with his Dad, Uncles and cousins will be enough incentive to get through the lulls in "concentration" that will no doubt occur (that, a few kilos of Haribo...

I also like the suggestion that when Moshe Jnr is unavailable (or it's a big game) we will have an extra ticket in our "block" that can be upgraded.

Mrs Gariani will need a bit of persuading in any case.

:clap:

p.s. Good luck with the lovely Mrs Gariani :thumbsup:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
My son had his first st in the family stand at 2 years old (attended his first game at 6 weeks and most saturday games from 18 months). He's now just coming up to 4, loves football and does pay attention but recently has taken to getting upset when people overactively celebrate goals :lol:

he doesn't attend evening games

At falmer we will be buying in the family stand and will also get a ticket for his little brother who will be just over two and who went to his first game when we played FC United. Dont expect him to use it much straight away as he has a lower boredom threshold but we want to be sat together when he does start going.

Great so that's already one seat guaranteed to be empty most of the time. How about waiting until he is a suitable age before buying a ST as someone else could then actually turn up and support the team.

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
My son will be 6, and it will be his first year. he loves football and wears his shirt with pride in west London amongst all the Chelsea supporters. I have no idea if he will enjoy it, i am just hoping he will.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Great so that's already one seat guaranteed to be empty most of the time. How about waiting until he is a suitable age before buying a ST as someone else could then actually turn up and support the team.

He didn't say it would be empty, he said he wouldn't always bring the little one. Maybe his older boy will bring a mate - that's what we'll do if the youngest bales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here