Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those worrying about a Judicial Review

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Lord Bracknell said:
Didn't you know?

You have to walk through a university, cross a county boundary, over the railway, through the trees, over a slip road, across a dual carriageway, over another slip road, through a second university, more trees, and eventually you get there.

It takes bloody hours.

Edward,

There is only one University in Falmer.

The other one is a Polytechnic.

London Irish said:
This begs the question, is it vastly more expensive to pursue a judicial review against the Secretary of State rather than against the city council?

If Catt was prepared to suck up the cost, won't an entire village of Catts do so?

We've heard judicial reviews may be prohibitively expensive, but I guess doesn't that depend on what they seek to challenge and how much court time it takes up. ie. how long is a piece of string :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
It wasn't John Catt who took the Judicial Review case to court. He merely campaigned against the park & ride (in between his other activities, of course, like wearing subversive t-shirts and getting detained under the Terrorism Act for being rude about Blair).

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
This begs the question, is it vastly more expensive to pursue a judicial review against the Secretary of State rather than against the city council?

If Catt was prepared to suck up the cost, won't an entire village of Catts do so?

We've heard judicial reviews may be prohibitively expensive, but I guess doesn't that depend on what they seek to challenge and how much court time it takes up. ie. how long is a piece of string :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Would it be more expensive than the amount they consider the value of their houses would drop?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yorkie said:
Would it be more expensive than the amount they consider the value of their houses would drop?

There was some research a couple of years ago that showed that houses close to sporting stadiums actually increase in value. I've been trying to find the research (I think it was German) ever since but have had no joy.

Wonder if Falmer residents will change their minds when they see their house prices rises.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lord Bracknell said:
of course, like wearing subversive t-shirts and getting detained under the Terrorism Act for being rude about Blair).

I have changed my opinion. He is a great man

FECKING BLAIR

This Government is using terrorism as an excuse to take the piss out of us citizens:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
London Irish said:

If Catt was prepared to suck up the cost, won't an entire village of cats do so?

Or what about an army of monkeys on word-processors? Or a hamlet full of dogs in bow-ties riding tiny penny farthings as lizards applaud from behind bars far enough back to prevent the chameleons from licking the wet noses of the enslaved pooches?

There are all sorts of possibilities LI.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Meade's_Ball said:
Or what about an army of monkeys on word-processors? Or a hamlet full of dogs in bow-ties riding tiny penny farthings as lizards applaud from behind bars far enough back to prevent the chameleons from licking the wet noses of the enslaved pooches?

There are all sorts of possibilities LI.
You have the most VIVID imagination,MB

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
sams dad said:
You have the most VIVID imagination,MB

It comes wrapped in Rizlas:smokin:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Gwylan said:
There was some research a couple of years ago that showed that houses close to sporting stadiums actually increase in value. I've been trying to find the research (I think it was German) ever since but have had no joy.

Wonder if Falmer residents will change their minds when they see their house prices rises.

Could always just survey the estate agents around the site for the Olympic Stadium in London.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Curious Orange said:
Could always just survey the estate agents around the site for the Olympic Stadium in London.

Whilst remembering that German houses are made of gingerbread and the window panes of stretched sausage skin. Having 30 thousand obese, moustchioed Teutons nearby will no doubt force the price of property up.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Meade's_Ball said:
Whilst remembering that German houses are made of gingerbread and the window panes of stretched sausage skin. Having 30 thousand obese, moustchioed Teutons nearby will no doubt force the price of property up.

Not stereotyping people there by any chance

:D :D :D :D

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
As an Albion fan I would love to live in Falmer, nice-ish little village with our stadium within walking distance, no need to worry about park and ride or a long walk to the ground, if only I could afford to live there...

...I can see Falmer being over-run by Albion fans, not in a bad way but in a mad dash to buy a property near the ground, the value of their homes is certain to rocket.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Gully said:
As an Albion fan I would love to live in Falmer, nice-ish little village with our stadium within walking distance, no need to worry about park and ride or a long walk to the ground, if only I could afford to live there...

...I can see Falmer being over-run by Albion fans, not in a bad way but in a mad dash to buy a property near the ground, the value of their homes is certain to rocket.

what he said. Id mostly like to buy the money print that will be the the swan.

Lord Bracknell said:
It wasn't John Catt who took the Judicial Review case to court. He merely campaigned against the park & ride (in between his other activities, of course, like wearing subversive t-shirts and getting detained under the Terrorism Act for being rude about Blair).

Who took the Withdean JR case to court then? Are you sure it wasn't Catt? The interesting question then is whoever these people are, do they have more or less money than the Falmer villagers? If it was the disorganised rabble that is the SWEAT remnants, then surely the answer is less?

It seems from the below article that merely asking a judge about a JR costs £10,000. A bit of money, but not prohibitive.

Seagulls play on after stadium blunder
by Rob Hustwayte Jan 21 2005

Brighton and Hove Albion have lost their legal right to play matches at the city's Withdean Stadium.

The club is unlikely to be ordered to stop playing at the stadium but a High Court ruling could mean the team would technically no longer have planning permission for matches there.

Only the High Court can quash permission for Albion to play at Withdean - and its plans to add 2,000 extra seats to the stadium - following a planning mistake by Brighton and Hove City Council.

The council has admitted it acted unlawfully both in failing to carry out an assessment of environmental impact and in failing to give reasons for granting the two planning applications last year.

The court will now revoke the decisions following legal action by Withdean resident John Catt.

The club will not be evicted from its temporary home - it will simply submit a fresh planning application for the council to process.

Brighton and Hove Albion chief executive Martin Perry was quick to reassure fans match fixtures would not be affected and the Seagulls would continue to play at Withdean while new planning consent is obtained.

He said the club would reapply and was still on track to start the Withdean expansion this summer as it awaits a decision on the Falmer stadium proposals.

The mistake has also left council tax payers with a bill for Mr Catt's legal costs, in the region of £10,000.

He lives in a house overlooking the stadium and sought a judicial review following planning permission granted to the Albion in October and November.

It allowed the club to play at Withdean until the end of this season, install 2,000 extra seats and stage matches on two Sundays in 2005.

Mr Catt said: "They want to build a new stand directly behind my house which would completely overshadow me. The noise would be incredible."

He added: "No doubt the club will continue playing at the stadium without planning permission and I will be talking to my solicitors about the possibility of taking further action."

It was the first test of a landmark High Court ruling which overturned planning permission to demolish a family home called Ruston in Withdean Avenue in November.

Mr Catt argued the cases were similar and the council conceded it was likely to lose a judicial review in the light of the Ruston decision.

Solicitor Susan Ring, who represented Mr Catt and whose firm also acted against the council in the Ruston case, said: "First the council failed to give a summary of reasons for the granting of planning permission and then erred when it decided an environmental impact assessment was not required."

The council reconsidered the Ruston development following the correct planning procedures and subsequently granted consent.

Albion chief executive Martin Perry said: "We will be submitting exactly the same applications and by rights the council should grant them exactly as before."

A council spokeswoman said: "The council has revised the wording on its decision notices and the club's new application will be considered as soon as possible."

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
"They want to build a new stand directly behind my house which would completely overshadow me. The noise would be incredible."

:dunce:

What a plank that man is.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Instead of whining and bitching, Mr CATT should be throwing all his efforts and money behind getting us Falmer. Then everyone's a winner. :dunce:

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Actually Mr Catt has been lending his support to the Falmer villagers as well. That's because he f***ing hates us and wants to get us shut down.

London Irish said:
Who took the Withdean JR case to court then? Are you sure it wasn't Catt?
The Case was in the name of a Mr (or Mrs) Wall, the immediate neighbours of the property that was the subject of the planning application.

http://www.richardbuxton.co.uk/reference/view.php?table=transcripts&id=127&flag=name

They did, however, have a lot of support from other Withdean residents, including, no doubt, John Catt.

There is an article about him in today's Argus:-

Agony of my arrest during peace demo
by Rob Hustwayte

johncattoct20.jpg

Peace activist John Catt, 80

An 80-year-old peace campaigner arrested at a protest march has threatened to sue Sussex Police.

Veteran activist John Catt claims officers left him in agony by forcing his arms behind his back and marching him up North Street in Brighton.

His shorts fell down around his ankles as he was being handcuffed by officers.

Mr Catt, of Withdean, Brighton, said: "It was a thoroughly humiliating and painful experience. I was cuffed near the Clock Tower with my shorts down, unable to pick them up, in front of hundreds of people.

"I feel I was brutalised simply for expressing my opinions."

Mr Catt, a widower, was one of four people arrested for alleged public order offences during the march in August, which brought parts of Brighton to a standstill.

He was locked up for several hours at the police custody suite at Hollingbury.

Mr Catt, who refused a police caution and was eventually released without charge, said: "I was taking part in a legitimate, peaceful campaign on an issue I feel strongly about.

"The police know me because I have been attending protest marches for years.

"A few scuffles broke out but I was nothing to do with them. I am 80 years old and although I'm in good shape I'm opposed to violence.

"A police office cherry-picked me out of the crown and I was hauled away.

"Now I'm considering suing the police for wrongful arrest, wrongful detention and damages."

The demonstration was organised by campaign group Smash EDO as part of its protests against an arms components factory in Home Farm Road, Moulsecoomb, Brighton.

It was attended by a few hundred campaigners and 50 police officers.

It was the third demonstration since an interim injunction was granted banning campaigners from harassing members of staff at EDO and entering an exclusion zone around the factory.

War veteran Mr Catt, whose home overlooks Withdean stadium, is no stranger to legal action. Earlier this year he successfully challenged the legality of Brighton and Hove Albion's planning permission to play at Withdean and add 2,000 extra seats.

The former trade unionist has regularly protested against EDO and is a life-long campaigner against war, racism and injustice.

A police spokeswoman said: "John Catt was arrested on suspicion of obstructing the highway and obstructing a police officer."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here