Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those who think speed cameras are just a psudo tax

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
The Tories get close to admitting it.

BBC News

A synopsis of it is that there should be a sliding penalty from a fine to more pen points depending on the risk of death to pedestrians.

How about something novel.

We only put the camera's where there is HIGH risk of injury to pedestrians and not where there is a HIGH risk of generating income.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
If you don't speed , you don't have to pay fines. Quite simple really! UK motorists could easily rid the country of speed cameras by obeying the law.

The Government would soon get shot of them if it wasn't for bloody idiots thinking they can get away with driving as fast as they like.

It's nobody elses fault if you get caught!

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
marvin said:

BBC News

A synopsis of it is that there should be a sliding penalty from a fine to more pen points depending on the risk of death to pedestrians.

How about something novel.

We only put the camera's where there is HIGH risk of injury to pedestrians and not where there is a HIGH risk of generating income.

I think its more about those who put them there being honest about the reason why they are there.

It is constently put to us that it is a "safety" thing when we all know its a "revenue" thing. After all how many cameras are there outside your local primary school? Yet how many are there on motorways?

I agree, those who get caught by them have only themselves to blame. But lets be honest about it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure I have ever seen a speed camera on a motorway, other than when roadworks are going on (shudders at the dreaded flash he got on the M6 on the way back from Stoke away last season when doing 80 in a 50)

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
M25 is full of them as is the link from the M25 to the M40. The M42 has several as does the M6 and M1. You ain't been looking boz. Where ever you see the teeth there is a camera. the M25 they are on the gantry's above the motorway.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do the M25 a lot when going from home to the in-laws in Crawley. When traffic is free-moving I do the usual 90ish and have never heard a thing. Use the M42 for some away games such as Notts teams - again usually doing 90-95 and nothing.

Don't have to use the M40 these days, nor the M1 (thankfully).

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
The m25 has roughly 1 in 3 cameras behind the signs as you only need to look in the mirror to see em as you shoot under.???

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Bozza said:
Do the M25 a lot when going from home to the in-laws in Crawley. When traffic is free-moving I do the usual 90ish and have never heard a thing. Use the M42 for some away games such as Notts teams - again usually doing 90-95 and nothing.

Only in use when it says no more than 60 etc bla bla:smokin:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Kent Seagull said:
If you don't speed , you don't have to pay fines. Quite simple really! UK motorists could easily rid the country of speed cameras by obeying the law.

The Government would soon get shot of them if it wasn't for bloody idiots thinking they can get away with driving as fast as they like.

It's nobody elses fault if you get caught!

Spot on. Can't imagine a conversation with an armed robber complaining he got prosecuted! "Bloody CCTV, they're complete bastards putting that in".

Why do motorists think they're above the law?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I can't remember which country it was that doesn't have them but on Breakfast tv this morning when this was being discussed, it said that speed cameras hadn't made any difference to the accident rate going down here in comparison to that country

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
too true. As i read a little while ago, road deaths in the uk have declined over the years to around 3000, but the decline has halted and the figure refuses to go any lower the last few years. i believe we have the lowest (or at one of the lowest) road death rate per population in europe. OK, so its 3000 too many, but fact is we have too many cars and too many people in close proximity.

Also, some large percentage of accidents occur with in 100 yards of designated crossings - some times its the pedestrian at fault.

But that is largely down to the phenomen known as risk compensation. Drivers feel safer in their cars and tend to drive faster. Thats why many accidents happen close to crossings, because inconsiderate drivers think they are some kind of sodding gods in their 2 tons of death machine. They wont get hurt so sod anyone else.

And what ARE bull bars for in the UK? ? ? ? except splitting childrens heads in two when you hit them.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm neutral on speed cameras. There are places where they are extremely worthwhile - but there are others where for various reasons the speed limit is too low and there the cameras are just for revenue generation. Doing 50 in a 30 mph built-up area is unforgiveable - doing 90 on a motorway in perfect conditions should be encouraged.

Side point on road deaths, the current figure of about 3000 is about the level of the 1920s! It's less than half what it was in the late 60s when it was around 8500 annually. It stubbornly refuses to go down so a more imaginative approach is needed rather than just saying "YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW SO YOU MUST BE PUNISHED!"

PS - Spot on with Bull Bars. If we can't ban 4X4s let's at least force them to take off the child-killer attachments.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bozza said:

The only time there are speed cameras on the M1 is for roadworks.

I do about 90 too (in quiet conditions, of course)

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Although I have no sympathy with anyone caught speeding in a town I do think it has gone too far and the Police need to balance things a little better. The chief constable of North Wales went after motorists big time this year and consequently they now have by far the lowest clean-up rate for burglaries and violent crimes. If they have limited resources (and they always say they have) I'd rather the police concentrated their efforts on sorting out these kind of things rather than someone doing 40 in a 30, or having had 2 pints before getting into the car.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
readingstockport, you miss my point - accidents *near* crossings points should be low to 0. Accidents *on* the designated crossing points are rare, certainly fatal ones. But if a pedestrian decides to fling themselfs onto the road at some random point rather than walk down the road and back. Just as drivers can be careless and selfish, so can pedestrians.

next time your driving around town, keep an eye out for how often you see someone cross the road 20-30 yards away from a pelican crossing.

beorhthelm said:
readingstockport, you miss my point - accidents *near* crossings points should be low to 0. Accidents *on* the designated crossing points are rare, certainly fatal ones. But if a pedestrian decides to fling themselfs onto the road at some random point rather than walk down the road and back. Just as drivers can be careless and selfish, so can pedestrians.

next time your driving around town, keep an eye out for how often you see someone cross the road 20-30 yards away from a pelican crossing.

Point taken beorhthelm. Agree about the divs who do that crossing on zig zags instead of walking the extra few yards and pushing the button. Usually takes them longer anyway.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
marvin said:

BBC News

This may sound a bit pedantic but those responsible admit, ie the Gov.

The opposition accuse.

Or have I slept through a general election?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here