Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those in and around London transport hubs including Luton & Stansted airports...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Shhhhh - careless talk etc ! Or am I getting into the re-run of Wish Me Luck too much ???

:lolol: There is some scary stuff about, honestly. If you think about it for more than a couple of seconds, if you really wanted to cause terror, there are plenty of easier ways to do it than to blow up planes, trains and buses. And in reality, there is very little the authorities could physically do to stop it. Scary but true.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
:lolol: There is some scary stuff about, honestly. If you think about it for more than a couple of seconds, if you really wanted to cause terror, there are plenty of easier ways to do it than to blow up planes, trains and buses. And in reality, there is very little the authorities could physically do to stop it. Scary but true.

Edna is right particularly in London.

The "anthrax scare" was a particular unpleasant time for me, when a nutter on the tube decided it was an appropriate time to sprinkle Holy Water from a little bottle on everyone on my tube train.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Oh I know - I used to work at the CAA and the precautions they took for terror alerts were scary ! Anyway, we should get Jane Asher to deal with it and have a strong cup of tea - that'll beat the rotters.

Plenty of CoLP around and about the square mile tonight. Just been having a chat with a couple of them. They say they have no specific target info, and the heightened police presence is more for public re-assurance than anything. However, I do know that they have increased the amount of armed response vehicles out and about recently. I think the threat level against transport has been increased to bring it into line with other "critical infrastructure" sectors (the financial sector was increased a couple of months ago). This is a more specific scale that is used for particular areas of business/transport etc, rather than the more generic threat level which is published.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's very easy to think that nothing is happening just because the public aren't, in the main, made aware of it.

The people who commit the sort of atrocities that have happened in the past- 9/11, 7/7, the Mumbai shootings, the Bali, Nairobi and Madrid train bombings etc- never go away. There are still frightening numbers of individuals about that the security services have an interest in, and sadly it's inevitable that some will occasionally get through, no matter how easy our media thinks it is to catch them.

The only uncertainty is how much pain they will cause before they're stopped. A bit doom and gloom, I know, but hey, you're probably still a million times more likely to get run over by a car on your way to work tomorrow, so, you know...carry on...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I take comfort from the fact that if axions individual wanted to blow himself up at a football match they could do it pretty easily and kill scores of people, but they haven't done so YET. Therefore perhaps no one wants to?

I worry about the Olympics though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I take comfort from the fact that if axions individual wanted to blow himself up at a football match they could do it pretty easily and kill scores of people, but they haven't done so YET. Therefore perhaps no one wants to?

I worry about the Olympics though.

Again, you don't need to blow things up to cause terror...look at Mumbai?

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Not sure what you are driving at; theat level has been at "Severe" for some time now.

Perfect example of shoot the messenger before checking if their info was incorrect. Was announced on 5 Live earlier. Another case of the keyboard warrior waiting to strike.

Brian I have it on good authority that we have trounced the Aussies 3-1, but I suppose we were always going to do that

Perfect example of shoot the messenger before checking if their info was incorrect. Was announced on 5 Live earlier. Another case of the keyboard warrior waiting to strike.

Brian I have it on good authority that we have trounced the Aussies 3-1, but I suppose we were always going to do that

Jimbo, I may be many things, but a keyboard warrior is not one of them.

What I said was that I was not sure why Bry had said what he had, as the official threat level for a terrorist attack in the UK has for some time been classed as severe. The upgrade in level that was mentioned in the press was an upgrade to a specific area of Business Critical Infrastructure. As I said in a subsequent post, there are certain parts of the UK infrastructure such as transport and certain finacial institutions (such as the London Stock Exchange) that have sector specific threat levels assigned to them independent of the general level summary. This is not normally published, and that is what has changed, not the general level.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The terror threat has been covered on most radio/TV news I've heard/seen this evening.

Train stations on alert over terror threat fears - Telegraph

Strange stuff, I live directly over Euston station and tube into and out of work every day and watch the local London news every day (in fact right at this moment), and have heard absolutely nothing. Can't be that severe because it would be plastered all over central London?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
What's new. Its never going to stop. What annoys me most is that some of this shit is being planned in this country as we speak. These wankers need to be found and deported if they don't hold a UK Passport.
We need to stop being a soft touch, and we need to stop these people taking the bloody piss.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Doesn't Stansted always increase its threat level on Thursday night Friday morning for the incoming El Al flight? Always used to.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
They did give about a 30 second slot for the alert below critical on BBC Breakfast this morning literally minutes after I mentioned I heard nothing. But apparently the major hubs are treated differently (I assume) because they are just the same as the rest of London's terrorist warnings now. I'm making a cock up of explaining this!

Quote:
The terrorist threat level specific to major UK transport hubs has been raised from substantial to severe, the BBC understands.
The move includes airports and London railway terminals, although there is no suggestion of any intelligence of an imminent attack.
The threat to the UK overall remains where it has been for the past year at the second-highest level, "severe".

Unquote.

It really does sound business as usual in the capital today.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So basically the trains and airports threat levels have been upgraded to the same as the rest of the country?
Isn't that the wrong way round?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have never been told more often to "keep all more personal belongings with me." On the train and over the tannoy at London Bridge. Or maybe I'm just a bit more aware of it than usual.

It's a constant announcement at London Bridge, that and "Can cyclists not ride their bikes inside the station". These two announcements seem to have infinitely more priority than anything to do with trains, and I have never seen anyone riding a bike inside the station in my 22 years of commuting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here