[Film] For those Alien fans

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Looking forward to this.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I love the first two. This trailer hasn’t excited me.

I’ll go and see it but looks a bit dry. Although I do like that it’s set between the first two.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Reading this at the moment. The novelisation of the unproduced script for Alien 3, by William Gibson.

It’s fantastic.

IMG_9325.jpeg
IMG_9327.jpeg

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Alien, like Terminator, is one of those franchises which keeps promising so much and delivering nothing. Both did their best work in the late 1980’s early 1990’s, and haven’t come close to touching on anywhere near that level of critical or commercial success since.

Alien had a bump in credibility thanks to the brilliant Alien: Isolation game some time back, but it is relying solely on nostalgia and hope that any future film will be any good.

I’ve been stung repeatedly by both franchises for 30 years with the “new dawn” for the franchise, it just never happens no matter how polished the trailer is each time.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Nah. I thought the Prometheus follow up would have taken the franchise in a different direction but it didn't. This looks like Aliens all over again and if there is that much swearing in the trailer, then the script must be diabolical. That one in the prison was laughable (indeed a lot of laughs were had by the cinema audience I was in) and this won't be any better. I'll pass thanks.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Hopeful but not expecting much (and that's fine). If it's just an Aliens rerun/copy I'd probably still enjoy it more than anything after Alien 3. I've seen one trailer a while back but not watching any others, not a fan of modern trailers as they tend to give away too much.
I've watched Aliens at least once a year since first seeing it as a 15 yo. Fabulous casting and chemistry, script and story arc.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Nah. I thought the Prometheus follow up would have taken the franchise in a different direction but it didn't. This looks like Aliens all over again and if there is that much swearing in the trailer, then the script must be diabolical. That one in the prison was laughable (indeed a lot of laughs were had by the cinema audience I was in) and this won't be any better. I'll pass thanks.
The recut of Alien 3 is much better than the original cinematic release, if you haven't seen it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Alien, like Terminator, is one of those franchises which keeps promising so much and delivering nothing. Both did their best work in the late 1980’s early 1990’s, and haven’t come close to touching on anywhere near that level of critical or commercial success since.

Alien had a bump in credibility thanks to the brilliant Alien: Isolation game some time back, but it is relying solely on nostalgia and hope that any future film will be any good.

I’ve been stung repeatedly by both franchises for 30 years with the “new dawn” for the franchise, it just never happens no matter how polished the trailer is each time.
Agree with all of this. Your dates are a bit off for the best Alien films. Alien being 1979 and Aliens being 1986 but yes, 💯

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The 4th film for me was a minger, but I’ve loved all the others including the two prequels.

That said, the original film, which is wonderful, IMO, doesn’t stand up to UHD/4K, it seems a bit dated and lost when you can see all the detail.

Lord Charles

Oct 16, 2010
Bedford
Yes agree, this franchise has gone slowly and steadily downhill since the first instalment. 1 was excellent, 2 was OK, 3 was poor, 4 was awful ... and Prometheus and Covenant had a few good moments but just didn't do it for me.

That said, this one seems to have a retro feel about it, and set between 1 and 2 I can see elements of the Nostromo and LV426 in the trailer, so with Fede directing as well, I'll definitely be giving it a watch (y)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not bad for a 45 year old pre-CGI film!
I can’t watch films in the 4K UHD format that weren’t filmed for it.

Anything older than about ten years doesn’t stand up. And they look much, much, much better in low definition. More filmic too. I like the odd screen flicker and dirt on the film.

Some stuff in 4K looks like it’s filmed on a camcorder.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
UK cinema release date? I assume the august date is US.
It’ll be released in the UK on 16th August.

I think it’s produced by Ridley Scott’s production company so its initial release will be U.K.

I think now though most films are released simultaneously in the U.K. and U.S?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here