Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the first time in my life, I think I will vote Labour

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Some good points AT. I'm talking about voting Labour cos i come from a traditional Labour voting family. But that isn't really why i'd vote them. I can see they are already making steps to repair the country, Lloyds said a few days ago they expect to turn a profit this year. How fantastic after losing billions. And cons were in favour of it all going to the wall. They made the mess and i'd like to see them make things good again.

They are taking steps to win the election not to repair the country. This zero interest rate and quantative easing policy is totally bizarre and its only point is to keep the economy staggering along on its last breath until the May election.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Unless Cameron actually comes up with an idea to help young people.

It will be my first time vote as well.

I am very disappointed in the Conservatives.

I have always refrained from joining the 1066 BASHING. But by the beard of ZEUS that is a ridiculous post.

"For the first time in my life I will vote Labour..."

"It will also be my first time vote as well."

So, essentially - not including school council elections - you are going to vote for the first time and you are unconvinced by the Tories so are backing Labour.

CONGRAT-u-ruddy-LATIONS.

stevey-o

I am the walrus.
Mar 24, 2009
sadly not in Brighton
I spent the morning in the company of two people who I'm guessing have only ever known a Labour government and will be first time voters this time around. They are staunch Tories, much like I guess a lot of us became staunch Labour having known nothing but a Tory government for so long. Funny the way it works out like that.

As for what has Labour done for young people, it depends how young you mean. Child poverty has drastically decreased under Labour - this is one of the few facts of 13 years of Labour government that is universally agreed. For everything else you / I / we dislike them for that at least is to their credit.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Unless Cameron actually comes up with an idea to help young people.

It will be my first time vote as well.

I am very disappointed in the Conservatives.

I'm 64 this year and I'v been disappointed with this new lot from 6 months after shameron took over promised from the start there would be no personality assassinations look at him now.
very sad indeed

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I'm looking forward to the NSC Exit Poll, when the time comes!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Improved the NHS?

cor that is a bloody big hole you have opened up there, think people who work in it might disagree. Wasted lots of money yes, improved well...

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So, here we have the dilemma
beorhthelm = hates Labour, no matter what they do - has probably always been a Tory

Hate is a bit strong. it was a genuine question, what is labours policy on or for young people. seems a little dumb not voting one way on the basis of one policy area unless you know the other side has a better policy.

So far the major policy towards the young from Labour has been to target 50% going in to universtiy education. they have failed at this and cut funding anyway (without restating the objective so hows that going to work). there has also been a noble commitment to ensure work or training for all under somthings out of work for 6 mths. i appluade that idea, though i doubt it delivers anything (what is the training?) and there's still the problem of where the longer term jobs come from.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
So far the major policy towards the young from Labour has been to target 50% going in to universtiy education.

Picking up on your point, that is a good a reason as any not to vote for them, by getting more and more people to go to Uni the degree's people get are less and less valued. The gap between what people with a degree earn over their lifetime and those without is coming down all the time and they don't have the debt Uni people are stuck with.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the cable guy was in charge i'd be voting for him because he's quality. Unfortunately he's not so i'll prob opt for Labour. Cons can f*** off!

Well then why don't you vote Lib Dem, then when there's a hung Parliament you'll probably get your wish.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lloyds said a few days ago they expect to turn a profit this year. How fantastic after losing billions. And cons were in favour of it all going to the wall. They made the mess and i'd like to see them make things good again.

Which is good news but is a credit to the Lloyds good banking management. They were a well run bank previously who were pressured by the Government to buy a failing bank. This nearly took them under and needed the Government to bail them out. Hardly a positive for the Government !!!

So you've seen Labour fail and now you want THEM to fix it ? Why didn't we keep Micky Adams then - he failed and so should have stayed to fix the problem ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well then why don't you vote Lib Dem, then when there's a hung Parliament you'll probably get your wish.

and to further my point, why default to Labour and not consider the policy for young from Lib Dem, Greens, Monster Raving Looney (who often to be fair have the best and most progressive ideas)

Agree re the cable guy. However, Labour have to go. They have precided over the biggest economic cockup in history. Its not something which 'started in America'. Just because they were running towards the cliff edge did not mean we had to follow. Anyone with even a basic knowlege of economics should have seen that and put policies in place accordingly. Instead, Blair and Brown chose to ride the popularity wave that the apparent wealth created. However ineffective the opposition, Labour have to be thrown out for gross incompetence.

Intersting theory - looks like just about every major economy on the planet were also being run by similarly talentless morons who also failed to see what was coming and should also be kicked out.

Alternatively perhaps it was an unprecedented set of events that the planet was not ready for and did well to survive at all. I seem to remember Brown taking fairly proactive measures compared to some countries and whilst he has made mistakes I would suggest we are better off than we could have been.

I remember only too well the years under the Tories with inflation over 15% which was a nightmare with raging unemployment and little sympathy from the Government who were very much for people looking after themselves and if they couldn't - tough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here