Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For the first time ever Mrs Thatch gets it right

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
She was in New York last week having lunch with Donald Trump ............the blind leading the blind

Bollox.She was a f***ing traitor who brought about the rape of national assets.
No, these were the traitors - communists who used mineworkers to try and bring the downfall of the Conservative government, democratically elected by the likes of me, I'm proud to say. It is only the bravery of mainly Nottinghamshire mineworkers that kept the lights on in 1984 and 85.
51Q4SKl4ksL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
No, these were the traitors - communists who used mineworkers to try and bring the downfall of the Conservative government, democratically elected by the likes of me, I'm proud to say. It is only the bravery of mainly Nottinghamshire mineworkers that kept the lights on in 1984 and 85.
51Q4SKl4ksL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There is a school of thought that the conservatives deliberately engineered the dispute with the mineworkers as revenge for the downfall of the Heath government. Keith Joseph almost admitted as such. That the miners had elected scargill who was equally as controversial probably didn't help the situation but it certainly didn't cause it.

And in the end, scargill was proved to be right in his assertions, if not his methods!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Bollox.She was a f***ing traitor who brought about the rape of national assets and the flogging off of the national treasure to every f***ing foreign company that chooses to rip the british public off.
Enjoy your 20% increase in fuel charges to spanish owned "scottish power"
Enjoy your sky high train ticket AND enjoy your tax paid for subsidy to French rail companies.

All brought about under a Labour government...who also sold off a third of our gold reserves at the lowest rate ever,signed up to bail out nations in the Euro,costing us billions and we are not even it! Every time Labour get in they leave the country in a mess and somebody has to come along and clear it up,they then think it's funny to leave notes saying "There's no money left". Do you really believe that twaddle that Labour are for the working man?

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
There is a school of thought that the conservatives deliberately engineered the dispute with the mineworkers as revenge for the downfall of the Heath government. Keith Joseph almost admitted as such. That the miners had elected scargill who was equally as controversial probably didn't help the situation but it certainly didn't cause it.

And in the end, scargill was proved to be right in his assertions, if not his methods!
Well it is a small school of thought whom are obviously driven by a personal hatred of Thatcher because it is in their political interests to do so and they just cannot concede that she did actually do some good.

Scargill loved to strike because ultimately he was a communist agitator, he wanted industrial war (in fact what he ultimately wanted was a revolution, he openly said this on national TV, Parkinson, there are also speeches of him saying he wanted to bring down the democratically elected Thatcher government) and he got an industrial war. It's just that Thatcher and her cronies were cleverer and better prepared than this tool, they had stockpiled coal for such an eventuality and Arthur decided to call a strike in April just when summer is round the corner and in a war there are winners and there are losers and Scargill got anhiliated.

It is just unfortunate for the poor miners whom he brought down with him as they were the ones whom really suffered and were mere pawns in Scargill's political game, but could not see this.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Well it is a small school of thought whom are obviously driven by a personal hatred of Thatcher because it is in their political interests to do so and they just cannot concede that she did actually do some good.

Scargill loved to strike because ultimately he was a communist agitator, he wanted industrial war (in fact what he ultimately wanted was a revolution, he openly said this on national TV, Parkinson, there are also speeches of him saying he wanted to bring down the democratically elected Thatcher government) and he got an industrial war. It's just that Thatcher and her cronies were cleverer and better prepared than this tool, they had stockpiled coal for such an eventuality and Arthur decided to call a strike in April just when summer is round the corner and in a war there are winners and there are losers and Scargill got anhiliated.

It is just unfortunate for the poor miners whom he brought down with him as they were the ones whom really suffered and were mere pawns in Scargill's political game, but could not see this.

Now now Simmo, I said Conservatives rather than saying thatcher specifically. She was no friend of Heath - however many of the cabinet were. And this 'small' school of thought actually extends to 3 of the then cabinet ministers (Heseltine, Joseph and Pym).

Dont disagree with what you said about Scargill but you have to accept that he was right that the Conservative Government wanted to run the pits down and get out of the industry. He didn't bring them down - that was going to happen anyway and you can therefore understand that they turned to a man with questionable political beliefs because he gave them hope that he would galvanise a fight from them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is a lot of bollocks written about Scargill, but in the end he was democratically elected to represent his mining union. When he announced that 60,000 jobs were under threat, the Tories scoffed at him for scaremongering. Turns out he was wrong anyway - over 100,000 jobs went. And now we have no mines, so we have to import coal if we want power - oh and entire communities were decimated.

My main problem with Thatcher is not that she was a right winger, it's that she played politics with people's lives - she wasn't pragmatic enough.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
My main problem with Thatcher is not that she was a right winger, it's that she played politics with people's lives - she wasn't pragmatic enough.

She was pragmatic towards her own agendas - cold, regardless of pensioners needing coal for heating, like my Grandfather who fought two wars to keep the country speaking English, and unapologetic when people (for instance) stuck their neck out to do extensions and conservatories on their houses, only to get them chopped off some months later (some aged losing houses to repossession because they had no means for generating income, to keep up with rising interest).
How MANY house-for-sale signs did I need to duck for, along streets of our towns?
I really wish they'd got her, in Brighton.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Whatever you say about Mrs. T., the iron lady certainly had balls, would not let this country roll over and always played hard. After inheriting the country in a real mess from Callaghan following the unions 'winter of discontent', IMF bail outs for the economy etc we needed a firm grip on the tiller. No way was she going to give into the Commie NUM leadership. It was very sad that mining communities were casualties while she sought to break the traditional power of unions and enable 'modernisation' across many industries.

She had a rocky ride early on and the Falklands War probably saved her government in '82. To her credit she became the bain of the EEC negotiating our rebate (thank God!) which is still resented across Europe. Could do with her now to stand up to the EEC bail outs we are having contribute to.

No doubt Thatcher outstayed her welcome and should have gone a bit earlier, having to be pushed out by colleagues. She wasn't helped by having that patronising and pompous 'more royal than the Queen' tone that certainly made people cringe. However I cannot accept that 'they should have got her in Brighton'........bombing is not the way to acheive democracy, although the seeds of the Good Friday agreement were possibly sown at The Grand Hotel. If she had been asassinated I wonder if there might have been a real back lash and the Tories could have been in power for many more years - goodness knows where we would be now.

I can't help but feel that history will view the Blair / Brown years with similar notoriety, not only for prostituting this country on the coat tails of George W.'s crusades in Iraq and Afghanistan but especially the failure to reign in the banks and the spend spend spend credit driven culture that eventually led to the ruin of the economy and the current wholesale shedding of jobs. So much for Brown's mantra 'prudence, prudence, prudence' - how ironic that a (New) Labour govt will have been the architects of this. When higher interest rates kick in the real impact will hit home. While the coalition is rapidly losing the plot I cannot listen to the hypocrisy of Millband, Balls, Johnson et al - would be laughable if it all wasn't so sad.

.... and unapologetic when people (for instance) stuck their neck out to do extensions and conservatories on their houses, only to get them chopped off some months later (some aged losing houses to repossession because they had no means for generating income, to keep up with rising interest).
How MANY house-for-sale signs did I need to duck for, along streets of our towns?
That is garbage; not because I disagree with it, but because it is unintelligible.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
That is garbage; not because I disagree with it, but because it is unintelligible.

To you maybe. :glare:

Thatcher encouraged people "now is the time to invest in your properties (do extensions and conservatories)" then up went the interest rates on bankloans and some of the aged simply and suddenly couldn't afford to pay back for what they'd been advised to spend - houses saturated the market for crying out loud, and went down in value. Great, what an "investment" :nono:

Self-serving cow thatcher had probably done the banks a favour, as well as money-spinners who could scoop up re-possessions and defaulted houses on the cheap! But then - that's what she represented, the already wealthy percent.
Which should always remind people who vote conservative, that they had better be sure that party represents THEM before they vote.
Face facts people, tories represent such a minority of the voting public that they'd never get in unless they lied or whitewashed over the truth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here