Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For people who walk to work.......A great day!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Every morning I walk from London Bridge to Holborn/Russell Square area and probably at least 3 or 4 times a week I nearly get run over by poxy cyclists who don't obey the highway code by stopping at red lights.

This morning the police were stopping cyclists at the cross roads of Theobalds Rd and Lambs Condueit St and giving those that jump the lights an on the stop £80 fine.

Whilst in the cafe this morning I watched them get 5 people!!

My faith in British justice is restored!!

Well done the Met!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Hurray!
I cycle to work every day, and stop at each and every red light as, quickly simply, i am not the road-governer. I probably "selfish cocksucker" about 47 times as i wait as so many stream past. I almost want to ask them about the emergency hospital visit they are making, or OXFAM trip their wheels give them the opportunity to take and feed the starving of Camberwell and Streatham with. "Cocksucker" is the one that leaves my mouth though. Although in the last week or so, i keep saying "Dr. Cock.".

Either way, i am glad these people get a fine and maybe learn a lesson that they are not quite as important as they wish.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
It is good news.

Hopefully they won't start a crackdown on cyclists from the Acton/Harlesden area who sometimes turn LEFT ONLY at a red light while riding uphill, ONLY if it's clear and ONLY so they don't lose momentum, though

:blush:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is good, The amount of times I have almost been knocked over on the way to work crossing Western Rd traffic lights is ridiculous.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have to say that it's nice to know that the Met are doing something about those cyclists who ignore the Highway Code, they should spend a morning down at Southwark Station.

Arthur said:
Every morning I walk from London Bridge to Holborn/Russell Square area and probably at least 3 or 4 times a week I nearly get run over by poxy cyclists who don't obey the highway code by stopping at red lights.

This morning the police were stopping cyclists at the cross roads of Theobalds Rd and Lambs Condueit St and giving those that jump the lights an on the stop £80 fine.

Well done the Met!

Hopefully, they do car drivers next.

I must admit as a law abiding cyclist, I AM SURPRISED MORE irresponsible cyclist don't get hurt, some of the risks they take are unbelievable................

Last edited:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
And all these bloody cyclists that moan about cars cutting them up and knocking them off their bikes and stuff like that!

There the ones that think they can out run 2 cars to get through a 2 foot gap!

BLOODY HIPPIES!

Buy a f***ing car and make summer hotter for EVERYONE!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Good to hear this.

I was really annoyed the other day when pramming back from town. We were coming up to the railway crossing and the lights and beeps started and I decided to stop and not run for it. So we slowed to an amble and Arthur was watching intently what was happening, and I said (as I probably usually do) we'll wait for the train to go mate and then we'll be on our way. Well just as the gates start dropping a guy on his bike road crossways across the tracks and ducked under the gate on the other side. How the f*** am I supposed to teach Arthur about good cycling and train crossing sense (when he's older) when stupid adults don't obey them themselves?? Humpf!!

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
ali jenkins said:
And all these bloody cyclists that moan about cars cutting them up and knocking them off their bikes and stuff like that!

There the ones that think they can out run 2 cars to get through a 2 foot gap!

BLOODY HIPPIES!

Buy a f***ing car and make summer hotter for EVERYONE!
:lolol: :lolol: :clap: :clap:

Stinkers Bridge

Jul 28, 2004
Buxted Harbour
Arthur said:

Well done the Met!

Excellent stuff Arthur.

Of course, in my short time since I made my cycling comeback, I have observered all traffic lights and the highway code in general. I know how much cyclists always made my blood boil when driving along the road in the past.

By the way. I set a new personal best time for cycling to work this morning - 6 mins 8 seconds!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: For people who walk to work.......A great day!

London Calling said:
Hopefully, they do car drivers next.

I must admit as a law abiding cyclist, I AM SURPRISED MORE irresponsible cyclist don't get hurt, some of the risks they take are unbelievable................

The cars they tend to notice (but if they don't and end up leaving a large dent in your car there goes your NCB). It's the pedestrians that take their chances. Where I live there's a load of narrow country lanes with just about every kind of transport there is, including a lot of horses. Everybody reckons that speeding cyclists are the biggest single menace. They must get very lonely as the cycle club types will insist in riding three or four abreast as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Met have these occasional blitzes on cyclists. Another popular spot is that road from Blackfriars Bridge to Ludgate Hill (Queen Victoria Street?). I've seen them grab a few cyclists who go through the red lights there.

Needless to say, I'm a law-abiding cyclist who patiently waits at the lights.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
tedebear said:
Good to hear this.

I was really annoyed the other day when pramming back from town. We were coming up to the railway crossing and the lights and beeps started and I decided to stop and not run for it. So we slowed to an amble and Arthur was watching intently what was happening, and I said (as I probably usually do) we'll wait for the train to go mate and then we'll be on our way. Well just as the gates start dropping a guy on his bike road crossways across the tracks and ducked under the gate on the other side. How the f*** am I supposed to teach Arthur about good cycling and train crossing sense (when he's older) when stupid adults don't obey them themselves?? Humpf!!

It's a common occurance at level crossings tede but it can be amusing when it goes wrong and they get knocked off as i've seen a number of times. :lolol:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
British Bulldog said:
It's a common occurance at level crossings tede but it can be amusing when it goes wrong and they get knocked off as i've seen a number of times. :lolol:

I once saw a guy driving his brand new BMW Z3 along Boundary road and as the gates were coming down he thaught he'd test out the excelleration on his new motor (only driven 20 yards in it) and as he went under the gates they caught the top of his car and left some LOVERLY scratches on his roof!

Poor chap wernt all too impressed to say the least!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
ali jenkins said:
I once saw a guy driving his brand new BMW Z3 along Boundary road and as the gates were coming down he thaught he'd test out the excelleration on his new motor (only driven 20 yards in it) and as he went under the gates they caught the top of his car and left some LOVERLY scratches on his roof!

Poor chap wernt all too impressed to say the least!

I've worked all the level crossings along the west coast and i've seen some big damage caused to vehicles and cyclists over the years, Mind you these barriers are nothing compared to the old wooden gates we used to wind now they could do some damage. Once you started winding those things you could'nt stop them for nobody. It's amazing how many people involved in collisions with level crossing gates report the signalman to the police only to end up in court themselves.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
A 28 day jail sentance is the only fit punishment for these carrot munchers:jester:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Re: Re: For people who walk to work.......A great day!

Stinkers Bridge said:
By the way. I set a new personal best time for cycling to work this morning - 6 mins 8 seconds!

Feckin ell! What did you do, stick a pukka pie to the handle bars? :p :lolol: :p

I bet you can't beat it on the way home!

Re: Re: Re: For people who walk to work.......A great day!

bhaexpress said:
The cars they tend to notice (but if they don't and end up leaving a large dent in your car there goes your NCB). It's the pedestrians that take their chances. Where I live there's a load of narrow country lanes with just about every kind of transport there is, including a lot of horses. Everybody reckons that speeding cyclists are the biggest single menace. They must get very lonely as the cycle club types will insist in riding three or four abreast as well.

Can't agree about the cars.

As a cyclist and pedestrian, the number of drivers that go thru a red light, jump the lights, go over the zebra crossing is unreal.

The other day I was on a zebra cossing 3 to 4 ft in, when a van driver just drove past me, no attempt to stop. He had good time to stop!

And of course the drivers that think back streets are a rally course.:angry:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
British Bulldog said:

Zef tells me many a time of a person (can't remember exactly who it was) who jumped the level crossing in Shoreham (gates were closing) on his motorbike and went headfirst into a tree. I think quite a few people saw it happen, and he was dead within seconds apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here